Please, NO GUNS!

Guns do NOT belong in a "traditional" fantasy RPG. The closest thing to a gun in P:E should be a crossbow or magic wands.

Where is this coming from? Here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-18-project-eternity-interview-new-information-tentative-spring-2014-release-date

The last paragraph of that article. If guns will be a part of this, consider my support for this game removed completely and I will remove my monetary pledge from Kickstarter.

Obsidian, if you want guns, make a Fallout-inspired game (which I believe you are involved with in Wasteland 2). Stick to fantasy and leave guns in the steampunk, post-apoc type games. Please.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with guns in the game, provided they are used tastefully. Keeping it to one or two character classes and a few enemy types is fine with me. Besides, there are a lot of fantasy games with guns, even some of the really old school ones.

And with the fact that we will be able to choose our own class and weapons, and the fact that we are not forced to take on any potential gun wielding companions (except perhaps, temporary story related followers), means you will likely not even have to touch them. Removing support from the game over one weapon type that has been used plenty in fantasy is just silly.

• Like 2

You don't even need a steampunk setting to have guns. Guns were around long, long before the Industrial Age. They were made in workshops by craftsmen.

These werent "flintlocks", either. Flintlocks were high-tech compared to some of these early firearms.

Edited by Infinitron

I agree. The more diverse a weapon arsenal is, the better.

However, if guns were to be actually invente, three factors would have to be taken into account. Firstly, they would have to be monstrously powerful, since a bullet, even a stone one, could pretty much go through any Medieval armour like a knife through warm butter. Secondly, their cost would have to be on a cosmic level, being as expensive as magical weaponry (unless the game developers heed my humble advice and completely remove magical weaponry from being buyable in shops, in which case firearms would become the most powerful armaments money could buy). Lastly, since early firearms were very inaccurate and slow to relode, these factors would have to be included into the game mechanics.

However, if guns were to be actually invente, three factors would have to be taken into account. Firstly, they would have to be monstrously powerful, since a bullet, even a stone one, could pretty much go through any Medieval armour like a knife through warm butter.

This is a myth. The projectiles of early firearms bounced off of plate armor.

Edited by Infinitron

Guns do NOT belong in a "traditional" fantasy RPG. The closest thing to a gun in P:E should be a crossbow or magic wands.

Where is this coming from? Here: http://www.eurogamer...14-release-date

The last paragraph of that article. If guns will be a part of this, consider my support for this game removed completely and I will remove my monetary pledge from Kickstarter.

Obsidian, if you want guns, make a Fallout-inspired game (which I believe you are involved with in Wasteland 2). Stick to fantasy and leave guns in the steampunk, post-apoc type games. Please.

If they remove guns, I remove my pledge. :p Not really, just in case the smiley wasn't clue enough.

New IP. Surprise! Seriously, were is the people that complains about elves and dwarves for being overused? Shouldn't they be complaining about the overused weaponry of "traditional" fantasy settings too?

[Edit: It's been far too long since I read anything on the subject, so I should probably not embarrass myself.]

Wow.. if every little detail in this project that you don't agree with is going to make you "remove your monetary pledge", you might as well do that now and delete your account here.

You're actually trying to threaten the developers into making the game YOU want to 100% by removing your measly pledge if they don't comply? Seldom have I seen a whinier and more self-entitled post.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

However, if guns were to be actually invente, three factors would have to be taken into account. Firstly, they would have to be monstrously powerful, since a bullet, even a stone one, could pretty much go through any Medieval armour like a knife through warm butter.

No, Sir, this is not a myth. I have a PhD in history, so believe me, I know what I'm writing. Even crossbow bolts and composite arrows pierced plate mail easily, which is why, for example, the Pope declared utilising crossbows against Christian as a mortal sin. After all, wthin a feudal society, you wouldn't want some filthy merchant being able to shoot a kinght in shining armour dead from thirty meters.

Edited by Entropious
  • Like 2

Wow.. if every little detail in this project that you don't agree with is going to make you "remove your monetary pledge", you might as well do that now and delete your account here.

You're actually trying to threaten the developers into making the game YOU want to 100% by removing your measly pledge if they don't comply? Seldom have I seen a whinier and more self-entitled post.

Exactly. OP seems to want the entire game shaped around his own liking with absolutely no regards to others or the dev, the people who will be making the game.

No, Sir, this is not a myth. I have a PhD in history, so believe me, I know what I'm writing. Even crossbow bolts and composite arrows pierced plate mail easily.

lol credentialism

Yes, it's a myth. It's true though that longbows were actually more powerful than early firearms.

Oh if Obsidian decides they want guns, awesome. It is indeed their game to make as they see fit. I will simply pull my support for it. I will not, ever, support a "traditional fantasy" RPG with guns.

For now I'll wait and watch. If by the last day or so of the kickstarter there has been no mention of guns being removed, then my pledge is gone and I wish Obsidian all the best with P: E.

I'm not dictating to them, they can do as they please of course. I'm just letting them know my support and contribution vanish in the event guns are a part of this game.

I agree with the OP, I just find guns to be out of place in a swords&sorcery fantasy setting. A gunman versus a knight with a shield and sword.. it's just.. sad.

But you have no problem going up with a sword against a guy who can shoot fire (magic user)? Makes sense.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I agree with the OP, I just find guns to be out of place in a swords&sorcery fantasy setting. A gunman versus a knight with a shield and sword.. it's just.. sad.

But you have no problem going up with a sword against a guy who can shoot fire out his ass (magic user)? Makes sense.

As long as the magic user has to point his bum at you to get a hit, the fight should be considered fair.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hmmm.. this got me thinking. If a knight had both a sturdy shield and a set of plate armor, could the impacting bullet pierce through both?(Assuming that the shot hits the shield).

Also, weren't the early firearms very inaccurate(I could be wrong, someone correct me if that is the case)?

I personally don't see anything wrong in firearms in a fantasy setting, if anything I think they add to it and make stand out from the usual design, which is, IMO, a good thing.

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

Arguably the most famous of all fantasy RPG settings, Forgotten Realms, features guns. Warhammer, another incredibly popular fantasy setting, also features guns. Hell, Middle Earth features gunpowder and explosives. What is your problem?

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Indeed.

I say yes for guns and other contraptions that hint towards progression of the world (not to go overboard, though). They add a lot of variety and flavor to the setting and how the combat can be played out - if done right.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Hmmm.. this got me thinking. If a knight had both a sturdy shield and a set of plate armor, could the impacting bullet pierce through both?(Assuming that the shot hits the shield).

Depending on the period, it might not even pierce the plate armor without the shield.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Exactly. OP seems to want the entire game shaped around his own liking with absolutely no regards to others or the dev, the people who will be making the game.

The entire game? Hardly. Re-read my post. Then read it again. Then one more time. Then once more, just to be sure. If you still think I'm talking about anything other than guns....well, I pity you both.