What would make you pledge more?

Designing my own items....that already in, but it's too costly for my finances.

Well, technicly I could pay it - I do have money saved up. But I'd have to be crazy to to it. All those really high pledges are a waste of money IMHO.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I'm somewhat surprised that there doesn't seem to be more discussion of modding tools as a viable stretch goal. Do we have any word that the guys at Obsidian are considering this, either as a built-in tool in the original product or as a later release? That would definitely lead me to increase my already substantial $100 pledge.

I understand that they'll have a lot of work on their hands: building not only new IP but a new engine to make the game. That said, I don't need to emphasize how important it is for the community to have tools to do a variety of things, from tweaking individual item properties, to building new NPCs and/or character classes, and especially in creating new scenarios and campaigns in the years after the game's release.

I'm sure it's very early on in the planning stages -- after all, the Kickstarter isn't even finished. But I would like to see a robust set of developer's tools as a viable stretch goal. We want to help Obsidian tell stories in the Project Eternity world for many moons to come.

• Like 1

Had it been an Ultima I would have said a magic carpet.

What I would like is a way to take notes in game, both on map and in a journal, wildlife (not the gratiutous attacking type like frenzied bears jumping on anypasserby, snakes attacking in herds...) , and a true(ly long and dangerous) labyrinth (without any automap).

619d221af6bf1263004acf169910804f0001a35d21555a1916f1ddfd5db8a03e6g.jpg

A myth is like good wine or cheese, growing meaningful with age.

- From Excentric quotes form the Lorekeepers of the Obsidian Order -

What would make you pledge more?

If I pledge any more I might end up in divorce court, so...nothing. :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can tell you what would boost my confidence in this project even more: mock-up screenshots showing off that they have some clear idea about what kind of art direction they want for this game and that it can actually look nice.

Yeah, I realize it sounds "graphics- whory" and all, but truth is: I have plenty of faith in Obsidian when it comes to RPG mechanics and overall design and I won't even bother telling them how to do their job in the very area where they always excelled.

At the same time I'm very skeptic about their ability to deliver something consistent in terms of prettiness and high production value, especially on a shoestring budget.

So yeah, regardless of how this game is supposed to be "old school and hardcore" (which I'm totally fine with) I'm far more concerned about how this game is going to look and control than I am about how they are writing it.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto
  • Like 1

I just booted up Icewind Dale again. The writing and everything feel like classic gaming. The UI and controls feel old.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'feels old'? To me this is one of those areas where 'old' means 'good' - I'm not a die-hard nostalgia fanatic, and I definitely think there are improvements to be made, but I've not played an RPG with an interface I prefer.

Change can be good, but not when it's made for its own sake, so are there any particular aspects you dislike, which have since been done better?

I'd also love to see a making-of DVD, or any kind of well produced, in-depth developer commentary, but unfortunately this violates my belief that Obsidian should focus entirely on things that will improve the quality of the game experience. It's a great idea, but it's probably best to think gameplay-first.

PDF's of the game design doc's. A "Making of" DVD is one thing. Seeing copies of all the scraps of paper used in the development process is entirely different and would certainly interest me!

This is also a fantastic idea, but we'll probably get more or less the same thing through all the updates and community dialog.

On the other hand, would this make me up my pledge? I think . . . yes.

Edited by Alex Sherman