How should magic work?

How should magic work  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Availability of spells

• Memorizing while sleeping
    • Mana
    • Cooldown
    • Always available, effectiveness based on exhaustion (see description)
    • Other
  2. 2. How specialized should a caster be?

• Versatile, quick spells, not entirely useless in close combat
    • Needs to be protected, long casting time, spells change battles
    • Both
    • Other
  3. 3. Spell combos

Spells stay scant resources, but don't feel artificial in a way that "I have 3 fireballs and one confuse per day" does.

Eh? How did they feel aritifical? They made perfect sense in the way magic worked there.

You prepare (pre-cast) the spells beforehand, but you can only have so many of them "waiting" at a time (either they interfere or it' is too exhausting).

In battle, you basicly trigger the waiting spell.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

original.gif Resting is horrible mechanic for PC game and was abused like hell in old DnD games where you could spam sleep and cast your most powerful spells all the time in late game.

++++++++ It destroys immersion of the game, since time doesn't flow realistically.

ERm...nope.

You do relasie that exhaustion system still requires you to rest?

You really cannot make a system that cannot be abused by save-scumming (or in other words, save before resting, reast, and re-laod if you get atacked during sleep) or metagaming. And neither should you. If people want to "cheat" it's their choice.

Exhaustion and memorize are similar. I can't see either as superior, as they are basicly the same thing. Altough memorizing system actually requires more thought and strategy, simply because you don't have every spell in your arsenal avialable at once.

Rest/memorize makes sense for D&D lore, so there's no immersion problem.

And exhaustion can easily be dealth with like stamina from Jagged Alliance 2. It regenerates when you stand still, but MAXIMUM stamina keeps dropping as you travel around and exert yourself.

In other words, you start with 100 stamina and you spend half hte day walking trough the woods - you now have 50 max stamina. If you fight and it drops for 30, you can wait, catch your breath, and it will refill to 40 or something (which will probably be your new max, as you might have exerted yourself).

Max stamina only regenerates by proper resting.

Strong armored caster is an option but it should be separate from the standard glass cannon wizards.

I'm completely against camping so memorizing while sleeping is not an option for me. As a diehard caster fan, I'd even just skip the whole game, if I'll have to sleep after each fight.

My complaint with the fatigue system is that it loses the foreplanning and strategy of picking the right spells. Perhaps a system where you can cast certain spells faster (preprepared) or at lower fatigue cost depending on your choices. You can choose to cast other spells but they'll take longer to cast and cost more fatigue.

I forget the name but there was a spell or ability in D&D that let you cast an unpreprepared spell at the cost of using a higher level spell slot. So you could use a level four spell slot to cast a level 3 fireball. A system like that combined with fatigue would be my choice.

Edited by Bhazor

Anything but Vancian. You should have your full library of spells available to you at all times. Find some other limiting factor. All Vancian accomplishes is making it so some spells will never get used since they aren't as useful in most circumstances as generic combat spell #12 unless you cheat and look up in a faq when some situational spell will actually be useful.

Edited by Enclave

Strong armored caster is an option but it should be separate from the standard glass cannon wizards.

I'm completely against camping so memorizing while sleeping is not an option for me. As a diehard caster fan, I'd even just skip the whole game, if I'll have to sleep after each fight.

Eh..you don't have to sleep after each fight.

I mean, it's certanly an option ( a risky one unless you want to travel back to town), but why would you do it?

Resting is something you do when the entire party is tired.

And you call yourself a die-hard caster fan, but you only accept one "type" of casters.