Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

firearms guns

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want to firearms in Project Eternity? (814 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

1. Voted Yes (513 votes [63.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.02%

2. Voted No (301 votes [36.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Sacculina

Sacculina

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Bring on a Renaissance setting. Gives me hope for that new world/colony building/exploration/diplomatic rpg I want so badly.

A bit late, but you might be interested in Expeditions: Conquistador.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
It doesn't matter, as long as it's well integrated within the setting. Enlightenment fantasy RPG?

Gyges

Gyges

Pit Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Depends entirely on the setting. If put in a fantasy setting without widespread gunpowder technology available, they could work as prototypes weapons firing magical projectiles instead, but they would have to be quite rare as previously stated.

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts
No, please.

Wyrm

Wyrm

Grand Dragon of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I am somewhat torn on this topic.

In one sense, I'm a traditional "medeival-setting" rpg guy. You know, swords, sorcery, dungeons, dragons, et al.

On the other hand, since this is a new IP, with a presumably new type of combat/character progression ruleset, it might be interesting to add firearms as a dynamic.

Other thoughts: I think firearms would work better in a low-magic setting; whereas in a setting with powerful spells, firearms would probably end up being more of a novelty.
  • alphyna likes this

Bungyo

Bungyo

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
No, and its a deal breaker for me.

alphyna

alphyna

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't want guns. I don't want the absence of guns. I want setting. If the developers think it needs guns, it's fine by me, and I don't really need justification. Frankly, fantasy-mixed-with0steampunk settings are less common, so I guess my vote goes to "yes".

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It doesn't matter, as log as it's well integrated within

combat system. With long reloading times, low accuracy and some interesting effect based around monsters reacting to being shot with horrible "bang" and cloud of smoke.

Edited by Shadenuat, 18 September 2012 - 05:46 AM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

Even if you suck for not wanting guns, I do love your Frye 'stache avatar.

canakin

canakin

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
I want to see magically imbued modern firearms in this game, something like "BÄ°gby's crushing SCAR-L". Definitely beats your generic +3 longsword.

CrazedWeevil

CrazedWeevil

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Crazed Weevil
This really depends on the type of firearm they plan to have. If we are talking magazine fed or breach loaded bolt action rifles or better then I would say no as they would be hopelessly overpowering if they were at all realistic. But if they were based on muzzle loaded muskets or rifles and had their fire rates and power then I wouldn't mind.

Consider that a muzzle loaded firearm is not that dissimilar to a crossbow, in both reload time, armour penetration and the fact you didn't need a lot of training to use one. Even the best muskets from the 19th century though could only really fire 3-4 shots a minute if the user was well trained and wasn't too concerned about aiming or range.

The major difference between them though is the accuracy at range (which the average musket being not very good unless in the hands of a very skilled marksman) and of course the noise and smoke (which if you aren't used to hearing would be very scary).

Muzrub333

Muzrub333

Brewmaster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
No problem with guns, if they are done well. Keep then simple; old matchlock weapons, no repeaters, or even flintlocks. Simple to use, good damage, but very slow. An archer should be able to fire 3-4 arrows in the time a gunner takes to fire one round. Firearms only became popular because any peasant could shoot one with little if any training, while an archer dedicated his life to training with his weapon, so they were not as easily replacable. Gunners were fodder, archers were professionals.
  • DreamingVoid likes this

IrishLuigi

IrishLuigi

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
As long as they aren't AK-47s or any other modern weapon, I see no problem. Steampunk dwarf-engineered muskets FTW!

Undecaf

Undecaf

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes, I do - now that they are confirmed in.

Guns and hints towards other technology add a lot of variety and flavor the game (both, its world and combat options) -- plus, I am really tired of the tried and true stock fantasy where the world has always been and will always be stuck on this strange medieval bubble where nothing goes forward but time.

Ashram

Ashram

Black Knight of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I voted no....basically for this game. I would like to see a world as it develops this kind of tech over time. Something like Arcanum had, but if we throw it all in here it kind of ruins that possible progression for me. Don't get me wrong...I would like to see this eventually. Just not in the first game of many! :)

DCParry

DCParry

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, I guess your deal, it is broken.

So... see ya.

EDIT - This comes off as jerky of me, but all the ultimatums and all or nothing thinking in many of the threads seems a little overboard.

Edited by DCParry, 18 September 2012 - 06:43 AM.

• UndeadRufus likes this

Vulee

Vulee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
Do we wont firearms? NO, we don't! We expect cRPG in classy high fantasy setting, not some SF/steampunk/new weird/jRPG junk. Project Eternity should be a successor to series like Baldur's Gate and NWN, not Arcanum 2. Presence of any kind of firearms or other advanced tech will force me withdraw my pledge. These things have no place in high fantasy.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

This really depends on the type of firearm they plan to have. If we are talking magazine fed or breach loaded bolt action rifles or better then I would say no as they would be hopelessly overpowering if they were at all realistic. But if they were based on muzzle loaded muskets or rifles and had their fire rates and power then I wouldn't mind.

They are the sort of firearms found in 16th century Europe: uncommon and nothing more advanced than single-shot wheellocks.

E: As a side-note, firearms of this sort were part of the Forgotten Realms following the Time of Troubles (smokepowder was introduced by Gond).
  • Bendu, Muzrub333 and VixRaine like this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes. As Sawyer says they're not going to have Napoleonic armies or anything, and having such a rare, disruptive technology around only makes the setting (and gameplay) more interesting.
  • Aidoneus likes this

OldRPG'sAreGood

OldRPG'sAreGood

Svef Addict of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Might be this qualifies as a little off topic, but:

How wide spread are guns in P:E's world? Are they held maybe by a religious group, something similar like the priests of Gond? Or are they used by a single nation, or by all?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firearms, guns

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users