Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

Do you want to firearms in Project Eternity?  

814 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

Anything loud and explosive can't be a bad idea... can it?

I have a feeling adding a bullet projectile function would mean plenty of new work added already upon what will be there with arrows. 

True - also firearms in Eternity, even though primitive, send bullets with faster speeds than any bow ever could. I guess a gunshot will be in a Fallout-ish style.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

True - also firearms in Eternity, even though primitive, send bullets with faster speeds.

Yeah, about 8 times faster. Firearms in that period had muzzle velocities of about 450-500 meters a second vs arrow speeds of about ~60 m/s.

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Our ranged combatants so far are still dominantly archers.  I can only think of a few characters who are using guns.

And I bet the majority of the bow-wielding populous laughs in a perplexed manner at anyone running amok with a gun. "You'd rather trust a hand-held explosion to propel a piece of shrapnel into your target from a distance than you would the strength and steadiness of your own arm and bow? HAH!"

I imagine a lot of piratey-type fighting (even if the piratey-type fighting I'm referencing is mostly Hollywood stuff and not historically accurate), in which you you'd take advantage of an opening and basically draw your pistol and fire it at point-blank range (or very short range) to make accuracy not such an issue. More of a charged-up punch with a bit of range than something you'd just run about firing at people with, or sniping with from atop a wall/tower/tree.

Which, honestly, for video games, is a pretty interesting role for guns.

Pistols could, in fact, be mechanically handled like consumables - i.e. you place them in the quick-use slots. Using them would be as simple as clicking on an appropriate icon and then selecting the target. After firing the icon changes and the weapon is now useless. Clicking on the icon again would start the reloading action, which would put the character out of action for a while. It could be also done automatically, when changing locations.

At the cost of reduced versatility, you could even consider carrying more than one pistol.

• Like 3

Pistols could, in fact, be mechanically handled like consumables - i.e. you place them in the quick-use slots. Using them would be as simple as clicking on an appropriate icon and then selecting the target. After firing the icon changes and the weapon is now useless. Clicking on the icon again would start the reloading action, which would put the character out of action for a while. It could be also done automatically, when changing locations.

At the cost of reduced versatility, you could even consider carrying more than one pistol.

That, sir... is brilliant. :) Clicking "like" with exceptional vigor sadly produced no added effect.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Is there a mechanic in which firearms can critically fail and explode?

Think I heard of a few incidents where that's happened, due to poor maintenance or construction of the gun, in history. I don't know how common it was though.

I don't know, just seemed like a cool thought at the time.  :p

Edited by sarkthas
  • Like 1

If only there were Bards... Then, I'd have their instrument strings critically fail in the same manner.

Suddenly, that song isn't inspiring quite as much courage as it previously was. 8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't know why I'm okay with Vorpal Sword +5 but not with MiniGun of Flaming Death +5.  I know the intention is not to escalate firearms in this manner but it is something I think about when I consider expansions, sequels etc.

Renounce the demon of technological determinism and embrace the truth of social construction!

;)

I don't know why I'm okay with Vorpal Sword +5 but not with MiniGun of Flaming Death +5.  I know the intention is not to escalate firearms in this manner but it is something I think about when I consider expansions, sequels etc.

Renounce the demon of technological determinism and embrace the truth of social construction!

;)

:o Kill the heathen! Use fire! :p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

For a fantasy that is probably about a century (or 2) later in terms of firearm development than what Josh implies PE is, take a look at the Powder Mage series by Brian McClellan. I was skeptical but overall I enjoyed the idea. There have been a couple recent novels and series set in in 17th/18th century fantasy equivalents which I have found quite refreshing. 

True - also firearms in Eternity, even though primitive, send bullets with faster speeds.

Yeah, about 8 times faster. Firearms in that period had muzzle velocities of about 450-500 meters a second vs arrow speeds of about ~60 m/s.

Mass of a bullet is ~5g; mass of an arrow is ~650g. Since KE = 1/2mv^2: 10 times the velocity equals 100 times the energy; 100 times the mass equals 100 times the energy. Thus it seems like they'd be roughly equivalent, energy-wise.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not that it would completely take the place of the entire basis of firearms' existence in the P:E world, but they could always throw in some facet akin to "casters" in Outlaw Star.