Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

Do you want to firearms in Project Eternity?  

814 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe. Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

So it probably would be something like the single-shot wheellock gun in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P8q4DicVBws

Edited by Kopi

There should be a third poll option for indifferent. I don't necessarily want firearms, but I'm also not against them if Obsidian feels they'd be a good addition to the game world.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I can live without them, but if Obsidian includes them in their setting, why not? Warhammer Fantasy also has firearms and it feels medieval fantasy-like enough, so I'm sure Obsidian can pull it off too.

When in deadly danger

When beset by doubt

Run in little circles

Wave your arms and shout.

What about the actual story is, this game takes place in the year 8075 in our world, over four thousand years after a nuclear war destroyed the world, but no one knows this. The magic of the medieval setting is actually the long lost remnants of super-advanced technology of humanity in the year 4000, that survived the apocalypse.

Oh wait....

I wouldn't mind if it fit the story and setting. A steampunk fantasy world, for instance, would be an obvious place to have firearms. However, I'm not interested in having them in the game just for the sake of giving players the option; I have no particular feeling for or against them on their own merits.

Man pls no guns, IRL they already suck, in a fantasy world they shouldn't exist, I mean they pretty much make it possible so that a 5 year old kid can kill a full trained warrior, it's kinda lame IMO

This.

Bows and crossbows actually require a lot of skill and proper training. Anyone can use firearms, That is one of the reasons they should not be included. They would completely destroy the feeling of old-fashioned fantasy adventure.

• Like 3

Anyone can use firearms,

You'd be surprised what people can't do even with the simple form of assault rifles these days, let alone a wheellock. In my time as an NCO I saw some real **** ups who'd, if the situation was real, would've not only killed themselves but also a bunch of their team mates.

And if it is a recent tech in the setting - like I have a recollection of it being mentioned to be - most of the inhabitants may never even have seen such a thing. It is very unlikely people'd immediately know exactly how to use such tech (knowing that it is not just putting a clip in, ****ing, and firing away).

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I was against but being hardcore Warhammer player I must say why not. It works in Warhammer world that humans have some kind of gunpowder weapons (handguns, cannons, steam tanks) so do Dwarves. It works in Tolkien-esque setting. Also there are sub races as well

take Elves there are

High Elves - pure, superhuman, noble saviours, but also arrogant, in love with politics and intrigue

Dark Elves - evil, torture and pleasure loving, making pacts with demons and hating everyone

Wood Elves - wild, mystical, sometimes cruel , distrusting everyone but usually in the end taking good side.

I think that gunpowder can coexist with magic and sword if did right.

I have no problem with firearms. In fact I'd like more non-standard weaponry if possible.

But good balance in each weapons utility is best, so there's probably an upper limit to what could reasonably be included.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This.

Bows and crossbows actually require a lot of skill and proper training. Anyone can use firearms, That is one of the reasons they should not be included. They would completely destroy the feeling of old-fashioned fantasy adventure.

Anyone can fire a gun ... but not anyone can fire a gun well. It also takes skill to actually be effective at using firearms, especially if we discuss it in a combat setting.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

@OP: A yes/no poll cannot effectively represent the opinion of the community....

Anyway, it depends on the implementation. They could, for example, have a high damage rate, but a very slow reloading rate. And they could also be highly effective against unarmored enemies, and have a slight penalty against armored ones.

It might also be interesting if only close combat characters would use them, seeing that they are not agile and experienced enough to use the superior bows/crossbows.

I also think that they should be rather rare. Maybe even only one of the races (major or minor) even knows how to produce them? Which would also mean that guns are predominantly used by this certain race?

Just some ideas.

:closed:

The real question here is what kind of setting do we want or expect from the game.

From the little I have seen this game isn't going to support the kinds of technology necessary for sophisticated weaponry. If magic can do the same thing easier and more cheaply then the tech will never evolve.

If the setting assumes different cultures from disparate areas of the planet that have had little contact then there might be a society that chose tech over magic. If done well these two could be a source of tension underlying several sub plots.

Would I like to play a fantasy shooter? I might if it worked well and made a little sense, but if they added guns just to add guns then no, I don't want them included in the game.

• Like 1

Same for me... Guns just ruin this feeling of an old-fashioned fantasy setting. I see no point in (my character) training with a bow when guns are so much more effective.

Bows and crossbows actually require a lot of skill and proper training. Anyone can use firearms...

I think you are missing the point here. The ease at which a person can use a technology has nothing to do with whether it exists or not. Guns are relatively easy to use but the technology behind them is rather complex, especially if you want them to be as effective as the bow or crossbow.

Fire arms have existed side by side with the simpler weapons for a very long time before the technology was developed for them to be as useful or to surpass those other weapons in effectiveness.

Ease of use has nothing to do with their existence or usefulness to a society.

Edited by Tlantl