Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

Do you want to firearms in Project Eternity?  

814 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

This really depends on the type of firearm they plan to have. If we are talking magazine fed or breach loaded bolt action rifles or better then I would say no as they would be hopelessly overpowering if they were at all realistic. But if they were based on muzzle loaded muskets or rifles and had their fire rates and power then I wouldn't mind.

Consider that a muzzle loaded firearm is not that dissimilar to a crossbow, in both reload time, armour penetration and the fact you didn't need a lot of training to use one. Even the best muskets from the 19th century though could only really fire 3-4 shots a minute if the user was well trained and wasn't too concerned about aiming or range.

The major difference between them though is the accuracy at range (which the average musket being not very good unless in the hands of a very skilled marksman) and of course the noise and smoke (which if you aren't used to hearing would be very scary).

No problem with guns, if they are done well. Keep then simple; old matchlock weapons, no repeaters, or even flintlocks. Simple to use, good damage, but very slow. An archer should be able to fire 3-4 arrows in the time a gunner takes to fire one round. Firearms only became popular because any peasant could shoot one with little if any training, while an archer dedicated his life to training with his weapon, so they were not as easily replacable. Gunners were fodder, archers were professionals.

• Like 1

Yes, I do - now that they are confirmed in.

Guns and hints towards other technology add a lot of variety and flavor the game (both, its world and combat options) -- plus, I am really tired of the tried and true stock fantasy where the world has always been and will always be stuck on this strange medieval bubble where nothing goes forward but time.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I voted no....basically for this game. I would like to see a world as it develops this kind of tech over time. Something like Arcanum had, but if we throw it all in here it kind of ruins that possible progression for me. Don't get me wrong...I would like to see this eventually. Just not in the first game of many! :)

No, and its a deal breaker for me.

Well, I guess your deal, it is broken.

So... see ya.

EDIT - This comes off as jerky of me, but all the ultimatums and all or nothing thinking in many of the threads seems a little overboard.

Edited by DCParry
  • Like 1

Do we wont firearms? NO, we don't! We expect cRPG in classy high fantasy setting, not some SF/steampunk/new weird/jRPG junk. Project Eternity should be a successor to series like Baldur's Gate and NWN, not Arcanum 2. Presence of any kind of firearms or other advanced tech will force me withdraw my pledge. These things have no place in high fantasy.

This really depends on the type of firearm they plan to have. If we are talking magazine fed or breach loaded bolt action rifles or better then I would say no as they would be hopelessly overpowering if they were at all realistic. But if they were based on muzzle loaded muskets or rifles and had their fire rates and power then I wouldn't mind.

They are the sort of firearms found in 16th century Europe: uncommon and nothing more advanced than single-shot wheellocks.

E: As a side-note, firearms of this sort were part of the Forgotten Realms following the Time of Troubles (smokepowder was introduced by Gond).

• Like 3

Yes. As Sawyer says they're not going to have Napoleonic armies or anything, and having such a rare, disruptive technology around only makes the setting (and gameplay) more interesting.

• Like 1

They are the sort of firearms found in 16th century Europe: uncommon and nothing more advanced than single-shot wheellocks.

E: As a side-note, firearms of this sort were part of the Forgotten Realms following the Time of Troubles (smokepowder was introduced by Gond).

Now all I need is a puffy shirt and a cutlass. In fact, screw the cutlass and pistol, just give me a puffy shirt!

Do we wont firearms? NO, we don't! We expect cRPG in classy high fantasy setting, not some SF/steampunk/new weird/jRPG junk. Project Eternity should be a successor to series like Baldur's Gate and NWN, not Arcanum 2. Presence of any kind of firearms or other advanced tech will force me withdraw my pledge. These things have no place in high fantasy.

Guns aren't steampunk. Steampunk = 18/19th century

Firearms were around long before that.

Yeah, why not, if they make sense in the game world (and lore?). Plus, that doesn't mean they're going for a full steampunk/fantasy hybrid like Arcanum if that isn't your cup of tea. Like Josh Sawyer briefly mentioned, it's more like the "dawn" of a certain technology.

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

For god's sake! NO!

No firearms in a fantasy setting!

Like the "real" medieval times ended for me with the invention and use of firearms, they destroy, in my opinion, a classic fantasy setting.

Seeing firearms in this game would be a really big disappointment for me.

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!