Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

Do you want to firearms in Project Eternity?  

814 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

I have no strong feelings one way or the other, I will roll with whatever judgment Obsidian guys made on that matter. Hell, I'll be fine with magic nukes fantasy cold war scenario as long as game's characters and dialogues are good and my decisions matter.

for me, the ideal era to mimic would be the just-before-the-industrial-revolution age. the old technology is well developed and the new is just starting to make appearance, and a lot of people have a lot of time to hold old grudges. so, yes, i don't mind guns at all. if they fit well.

come to think of it - you can put flying cars in, if you can convince and make me believe that they should be there.

Depends entirely on the setting. I simply do not know enough to make a decision either way.

My immediate reaction is "Yes", but it comes with so many other, small things that would have to be worked into the universe, which I am not sure is appropriate.

So I stand firmly on the non-existant "Maybe" option.

t50aJUd.jpg

The danger is, they either need to go full steampunk to make it work. Otherwise it will just look like the guns in World of Warcraft, which are silly and jar the gameplay experience because while you have some species with a medieval society, and others with almost science-fiction level technology. Mentioning WoW again as an example of how trying to create extremely diverse/unique regions all in the same game backfires, because nothing fits and the world feels disconnected.

What I mean is, in Arcanum there was technology like steam engines and gunpowder, but they explored the logical conclusion of that, industrialization was destroying forests, magic was becoming obsolete and clashing with modern society. In WoW there's no one saying "Well these gnomes have freakin helicopters and robots, and dwarves have rifles, and these are obviously superior technologies, so why hasn't the other cultures traded for these technologies or been conquered with them?"

So if the game has guns, what is the consequence of that on the whole world?

but in WOW technology and magic or on par, thats why they coexist in relative harmony, and a hunter with a bow does the same damage he does with a rifle ;)

Yes but arrows cannot penetrate hardened plate armor, bullets can.

So the question from that is, why haven't the culture with the bows and arrows adopted the new technologies and culturally adapted to defend themselves, or not adapted and been conquered.

Edited by Crosmando

No. I don't like mashups, where bits of various genres are present in one story.

But they aren't really a mashup. Flintlocks and swords were used at the same time. The same for things like crossbows and firearms. Think about things like cost and availability as well general usefulness. There are many ways to integrate early firearms with traditional fantasy weaponry.

EDIT - Maybe as a time frame 16th and 17th century?

Edited by DCParry

Yes. Why not have one of the odd races be a bunch of Steampunk-like Mechanical creatures, that have firearms of simple design. Or touch on the "Outlaw Star" idea of having spell stored in cartridges or shells. Allowing a non-magical class to cast spells they purchase for one time use.

Firearms would be cool in a fantasy game if they are not a common weapon. Otherwise you may as well go with the shadowrun approach.

The danger is, they either need to go full steampunk to make it work. Otherwise it will just look like the guns in World of Warcraft, which are silly and jar the gameplay experience because while you have some species with a medieval society, and others with almost science-fiction level technology. Mentioning WoW again as an example of how trying to create extremely diverse/unique regions all in the same game backfires, because nothing fits and the world feels disconnected.

What I mean is, in Arcanum there was technology like steam engines and gunpowder, but they explored the logical conclusion of that, industrialization was destroying forests, magic was becoming obsolete and clashing with modern society. In WoW there's no one saying "Well these gnomes have freakin helicopters and robots, and dwarves have rifles, and these are obviously superior technologies, so why hasn't the other cultures traded for these technologies or been conquered with them?"

So if the game has guns, what is the consequence of that on the whole world?

but in WOW technology and magic or on par, thats why they coexist in relative harmony, and a hunter with a bow does the same damage he does with a rifle ;)

So the question from that is, why haven't the culture with the bows and arrows adopted the new technologies and culturally adapted to defend themselves, or not adapted and been conquered.

im not very big on WOW lore, but i think the reason is that the technology they have tends to backfire a lot so there is a high risk involved in it, nevertheless both faction do use tech of gnomish or goblin origin quite prominently

of course its a fairytale world and none of it would hold up in a more intelligent setting but there it is

Are we talking WoW or PE? Because I have no idea about WoW beyond "Cashcow".

In other settings, stuff like magic can make unnecesary to adopt superior mundane technologies that other societies use and still keep that society "competitive". We must also consider if the different societies have actually met, geography between them, economic interests, third parties,... but mostly I'd say "Magic".

I'd worry more about cultural invasions like that dwarven McGoland's in Echo Bay or that elven Chillax Palace in New Heomar.

Actually this is a myth - primitive firearms absolutely could not penetrate hardened plate armor. Also they didn't shoot bullets as we have today, they were more like little balls.

Edited by Infinitron

I'm keen to have guns, if only to distance the game further from traditional Tolkien fantasy.

If they are present however it needs to be sensible, in the way that Warcraft absolutely is not. If the setting emulates the renaissance and real world history where guns, swords and plate armour were used in the same era, then I don't think the game needs to go full steampunk to pull it of. Guns and cannons would be welcome, so long as it isn't a moronic Warcraft crucible wherein axes, arrows, submarines, and orbital cannons coexist seamlessly together without any intelligent consequences.

Bring on a Renaissance setting. Gives me hope for that new world/colony building/exploration/diplomatic rpg I want so badly.

Seconded. If Obsidian gave me a plate-armoured, gun-wielding conquistador, I'd be too distracted by novelty to complain about anything else.

Edited by Sarog

It doesn't matter, as long as it's well integrated within the setting. Enlightenment fantasy RPG?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Depends entirely on the setting. If put in a fantasy setting without widespread gunpowder technology available, they could work as prototypes weapons firing magical projectiles instead, but they would have to be quite rare as previously stated.

I am somewhat torn on this topic.

In one sense, I'm a traditional "medeival-setting" rpg guy. You know, swords, sorcery, dungeons, dragons, et al.

On the other hand, since this is a new IP, with a presumably new type of combat/character progression ruleset, it might be interesting to add firearms as a dynamic.

Other thoughts: I think firearms would work better in a low-magic setting; whereas in a setting with powerful spells, firearms would probably end up being more of a novelty.

• Like 1

FINALsm.png

The Ancient Wyrm - Grand Dragon of the Obsidian Order

I don't want guns. I don't want the absence of guns. I want setting. If the developers think it needs guns, it's fine by me, and I don't really need justification. Frankly, fantasy-mixed-with0steampunk settings are less common, so I guess my vote goes to "yes".

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

It doesn't matter, as log as it's well integrated within

combat system. With long reloading times, low accuracy and some interesting effect based around monsters reacting to being shot with horrible "bang" and cloud of smoke.

Edited by Shadenuat