Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

Do you want to firearms in Project Eternity?  

814 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want firearms in Project Eternity?

No for me. Not unless they are very, very rare, perhaps only made and used by one particular race, and to use them you'd have to somehow train in them specifically. I've always preferred the more pure fantasy style over the semi-steampunk, dwarves with flinklock rifles type of deal.

• Like 11

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

Bring on a Renaissance setting. Gives me hope for that new world/colony building/exploration/diplomatic rpg I want so badly.

• Like 9
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't have any problems with them using arquebuses or early muskets as long as they realize that they are heavy, slow and not exactly accurate over longer distances. There should be advantages and downsides factored in. If you shoot at an enemy who is fifty meters away the penalties for this should be way higher with a firearm than with a crossbow or bow. However, if you shoot at an enemy who is only fifteen meters away the damage you do with your egg-sized projectile should be horrendous. Secondly, black powder should be an issue: do you have enough of it? Are you keeping it dry? Thirdly, is your firearm rifled or is it a smoothbore? The former would be more accurate but do less damage. The latter would be lucky to hit the broadside of a barn but do, well, the damage of a broadside.

Ups and downs, people. Ups and downs.

I think it would be interesting to at least witness the rollout of firearms. I dunno if anyone has read Lian Hearn's Otori series, and I'm not saying it's the best series either, I read it when I was a teenager but it was cool how like Takeo and his province considered non-government firearms illegal and they aimed to try and take control of as much of the firearms market as they could in the event of a civil war (although they kept most of them in storage IIRC).

Those sort of dynamics would be interesting to explore, the change in dynamics of combat with the rollout of gunpowder. Although depending on how magic works I guess this wouldnt matter as much.

Yes, I want firearms. I'm tired of those fantasy settings that are in a static time period "ad eternum". Besides, guns aren't precisely modern, so it fits well with a "pure" fantasy setting.

Edited by Miquel93
  • Like 1

The danger is, they either need to go full steampunk to make it work. Otherwise it will just look like the guns in World of Warcraft, which are silly and jar the gameplay experience because while you have some species with a medieval society, and others with almost science-fiction level technology. Mentioning WoW again as an example of how trying to create extremely diverse/unique regions all in the same game backfires, because nothing fits and the world feels disconnected. They called it the "World" of Warcraft but it's really just dozens of isolated zones without any meaningful connection to each other. You walk out of a bustling tribal jungle filled with savage trolls and into an arid desert, there's no connection.

What I mean is, in Arcanum there was technology like steam engines and gunpowder, but they explored the logical conclusion of that, industrialization was destroying forests, magic was becoming obsolete and clashing with modern society. In WoW there's no one saying "Well these gnomes have freakin helicopters and robots, and dwarves have rifles, and these are obviously superior technologies, so why hasn't the other cultures traded for these technologies or been conquered with them?"

So if the game has guns, what is the consequence of that on the whole world?

Edited by Crosmando
  • Like 8

The danger is, they either need to go full steampunk to make it work. Otherwise it will just look like the guns in World of Warcraft, which are silly and jar the gameplay experience because while you have some species with a medieval society, and others with almost science-fiction level technology. Mentioning WoW again as an example of how trying to create extremely diverse/unique regions all in the same game backfires, because nothing fits and the world feels disconnected.

What I mean is, in Arcanum there was technology like steam engines and gunpowder, but they explored the logical conclusion of that, industrialization was destroying forests, magic was becoming obsolete and clashing with modern society. In WoW there's no one saying "Well these gnomes have freakin helicopters and robots, and dwarves have rifles, and these are obviously superior technologies, so why hasn't the other cultures traded for these technologies or been conquered with them?"

So if the game has guns, what is the consequence of that on the whole world?

but in WOW technology and magic or on par, thats why they coexist in relative harmony, and a hunter with a bow does the same damage he does with a rifle ;)