A dynamic game economy would go a long way towards improving the problems with money in RPGs.

Maybe not so much "dynamic" as in one actually reflecting that most of the equipment used by so-called "adventurers" would be very expensive within a Middle Age/ Early Renaissance Europe.

On the topic of in-game currencies and unrealistic inflation issues.

1. Games are supposed to be fun to play

The first duty of games is to be fun to play. Everything else comes later. This definition of "fun" also includes things being scary "fun", tragically moving "fun" etc.

2. Reality isn't fun

Reality is often boring, tedious, mildly annoying etc. In that sense very work of fiction is some form of escapism. Reality does have some pretty darn awesome and exciting stuff - but the gaps between them are quite big.

3. Being poor isn't fun

In reality, I don't have to explain. In a game, yes it's fun to start out with next to nothing and work your way up. But that's point 4.

4. Improvement is fun

Getting better at stuff is fun. Leveling up is fun. Being able to do and get better stuff is fun. It's also very satisfying to look back and say "I started with nothing"

5. Rewards are fun

Games have to have reward mechanism like xp, items, gold. Games without them or with too little are less fun than others. Some games just have a high score meter, but that also is a reward mechanism.

When adding 1. thru 5. together, I don't think we'll get a RPG with a realistic money system any time soon. Maybe someone will create one build on an underlying, detailed, dynamic simulation of a world. But certainly not this one.

I don't want to sound glum or pessimistic - good game design can mitigate the problem and strengthen the illusion of a real game world. I'd also like to delay the problem as long as possible. I think increasing the cost of items and money sinks are the way to go.

How about having to pay your followers. That would be realistic. And it would scale with the increased loot. Even if every companion only takes 1/10th of the loot that would reduce the loot overall by 50%. Now if you want to be really ingenious - show us how the companions spend their cash. That could be so hilarious!

The other great money sink is a player stronghold (like Crossroads Keep in NWN2), it would partially be beneficial, partially just vanity.

If they go with a more political setting - go for bribing officials, buying influence and supporting armies.

Maybe also spend money on research ("Hey, scholar find out where the legendary dungeon of blablabla is!") and development (a.k.a. crafting)

On the topic of in-game currencies and unrealistic inflation issues.

1. Games are supposed to be fun to play

The first duty of games is to be fun to play. Everything else comes later. This definition of "fun" also includes things being scary "fun", tragically moving "fun" etc.

2. Reality isn't fun

Reality is often boring, tedious, mildly annoying etc. In that sense very work of fiction is some form of escapism. Reality does have some pretty darn awesome and exciting stuff - but the gaps between them are quite big.

3. Being poor isn't fun

In reality, I don't have to explain. In a game, yes it's fun to start out with next to nothing and work your way up. But that's point 4.

4. Improvement is fun

Getting better at stuff is fun. Leveling up is fun. Being able to do and get better stuff is fun. It's also very satisfying to look back and say "I started with nothing"

5. Rewards are fun

Games have to have reward mechanism like xp, items, gold. Games without them or with too little are less fun than others. Some games just have a high score meter, but that also is a reward mechanism.

When adding 1. thru 5. together, I don't think we'll get a RPG with a realistic money system any time soon. Maybe someone will create one build on an underlying, detailed, dynamic simulation of a world. But certainly not this one.

I don't want to sound glum or pessimistic - good game design can mitigate the problem and strengthen the illusion of a real game world. I'd also like to delay the problem as long as possible. I think increasing the cost of items and money sinks are the way to go.

How about having to pay your followers. That would be realistic. And it would scale with the increased loot. Even if every companion only takes 1/10th of the loot that would reduce the loot overall by 50%. Now if you want to be really ingenious - show us how the companions spend their cash. That could be so hilarious!

The other great money sink is a player stronghold (like Crossroads Keep in NWN2), it would partially be beneficial, partially just vanity.

If they go with a more political setting - go for bribing officials, buying influence and supporting armies.

Maybe also spend money on research ("Hey, scholar find out where the legendary dungeon of blablabla is!") and development (a.k.a. crafting)

Yep i'd like a real economy for the setting, money is so often pointless come late game. From a copper for a pint, to a fat golden sovereign for that fiery Analucian stallion.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Perhaps being poor in the real world isn't fun, but you cannot compare real-life experiences with those within a computer game. I truly doubt most ladies and gentlemen enjoy WALKING from town to town for days on end, sleeping on the ground, and fighting for your very lives every now and then.

The beauty of any work of fiction, be they books, films or games, is that one can experience all which is appeling in a certain aspect of reality without having to deal with all those tedious, annoying downsides. Would anyone REALLY like to be a thief in some slums? Go ahead, move to North Korea, Russia or India.