Can we get a.....more original symbol for Project Eternity?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I'm sure the team is focused on more important things right now, of course, but did nobody notice the blatant similarities between the symbol for Project Eternity and the symbol for The Elder Scrolls Online?

Every time I look at the logo, that story about Apple suing that Polish grocery store or whatever for having a similar logo and for using the web address of a.pl just screams at me.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I don't think ESO has that particular symbol trademarked. Maybe the Norse do? I don't know where it originated or how old it is, but it's a lot older than Bethsoft. On the other hand, it's not like I care if they change it. I mean, naming the endeavor 'Project Eternity' is a little on the nose, but okay. Having the symbol for eternity seems a little over the top.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Worried that Tutankhamun will come back and sue them both for using the symbol? He'll more likely put a curse on them all ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You can also find the similar symbol in the Wheel of Time, in alchemy, and well, all over the place. The ouroboros is a common symbol.

It's not my favourite logo either, though. I mean, being called 'Project Eternity', you'd assume the game would get a proper name at some point, and maybe a new logo.

it's Ouroboros. A symbol present in numerous ancient mythologies reprensenting cyclicality.

I know what it is, but it's really not the most distinguishable symbol (I mean it's a ring with a dragon head), and the minor details between TES online's version and Project Eternity are really quite striking.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Yeah, I don't care what Bethesda's MMO is using as a symbol. Obsidian can use what they want.

I didn't spend the entire duration of Lonesome Road getting bitched at by Ulysses about the importance of symbols and understanding their meaning to hear Mr. Chris Avellone say the logo doesn't matter. :verymad:

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't care what Bethesda's MMO is using as a symbol. Obsidian can use what they want.

I didn't spend the entire duration of Lonesome Road getting bitched at by Ulysses about the importance of symbols and understanding their meaning to hear Mr. Chris Avellone say the logo doesn't matter. :verymad:

That made me laugh quite a lot for some reason :)

All this and the fact that Ouroboros just makes me think of Red Dwarf. xD

Makes me think of Doctor Borous. And then I think of Nightstalkers. And then I think of Roboscorpions. Then I think of Mobius.

Then I think of pudding. MMmmmmm, pudding!

• Like 1

Makes me think of Doctor Borous. And then I think of Nightstalkers. And then I think of Roboscorpions. Then I think of Mobius.

Thgis game needs pudding.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

*doublechecks*

No, I'm not Chris Avellone.

So... you have a quote from Mr. Avellone where he says that logos don't matter?

If you do, point taken.

If you are conflating my response with him, however...

in any case - public domain is public domain. Common symbols are common - if you don't like the choice, don't like the choice. But this is as silly as saying that Dragon's Dogma and Divinity II shouldn't use dragons at all since Dragon Age:Origins had just done dragons.

Edited by Merin
  • Like 1

Thgis game needs pudding.

I second this motion.

I think above all that symbol looks kind of cheap. Besides representing cycles, it represents a daemon eating its own tale, which means evil consumes itself. If this has anything to do with the game story, please redesign that symbol. If it doesn't, then think of something else.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Yeah I don't like it much either. It makes me cringe :p

Why not a Mobius Strip instead?

Ouroboros are for fantasy.

Mobius strips are for sci-fi.

Don't you know anything? :p

Well, firearms imply steampunk which is the combination of sci-fi and fantasy.

Can we have a Mobius/Ourorborus strip... symbol thing?

For an actual steampunk setting (which I do not think this will be), I would definitely think an Ouroborus in the shape of a mobius strip would be amazing.

t50aJUd.jpg

Well, Baldur's Gate pretty much had a skull with some other stuff around it as a logo, Icewind Dale had a tree, Neverwinter Nights had an eye. None of those were really that original, but they all made sense to the stories within the games. So if this logo is what they're going for, I'd guess it'll be related to the game in some way, which is fine enough for me.

That said, a Mobius Ouroboros would be awesome.

The symbol is fine. Do you people really have to bitch about every single thing?

This is literally the only thing I've bitched about. :U