Would like some more info about "design(ing) an epic high level (widget)"...

Can't wait to "design" an item, but I'd like some questions addressed if possible...

1) Are we allowed to design a matching armor set (helm, cuirass, gauntlets, boots, etc), or are we literally limited to a single piece, meaning none of the armor we design will be part of a set?

2) Are we going to be forced to choose from a list of armor and weapon types in the game, or will we have the freedom to create something truly unique? For instance, will we be limited to the usual fantasy armory (longsword, axe, bow, etc) or could I design, say, a bladed whip? Obviously art and animation would be an issue if everyone designed something unique, but it's a relevant question.

3) Within reason and based on item/character level, are we setting our own stats for our custom item, or are we merely choosing what "enchantment(s)" the item will have (+2 damage vs fire damage vs turn undead, etc)?

4) Are you limiting how many of each item is customized? For instance, if there are a large number of people who all want to design a bow of some kind, are you going to force some of these folks elsewhere?

5) Do we have any say as to what level our item is (end game vs mid-game, etc) and if not, how will you determine what level each of our items are geared toward?

6) Do we have any say as to where our items are ultimately found, such as a chest in a dark cave somewhere vs boss drop vs merchant, etc?

7) Does the lore of the item have to be limited to a brief description in your inventory, or is there an option of writing a longer story to be found, say, in a book within the game? Any idea how many lines/characters of text we'll be limited to with regard to our lore description and item name?

8 ) How will our "epic" high level items compare to possible player-made high level items (assuming this will be a feature)?

I have a few more questions, but that should give me a pretty good start point... :bow:

Edited by Chaos Theory

I've just asked for more info referencing this thread on kickstarter. This is the answer by Obsidian:

We will start having more coverage on our forums in the coming days. The reception has been pretty staggering and, to be honest, we were unprepared. Darren (co-founder) has been working practically night and day to move all of our hosting over to Amazon so we don't go down anymore. It seems like we are doing better today than we were doing a day or two in that area.

So, hopefully, we'll getting more info in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

I've stressed Faergus on kickstarter again. While still not getting a definitive answer, this sound like the creators of items or NPCs will become part of the development process:

@Raedwulf For our $1000+ backers we are setting up an obsidian e-mail that will just be for you to ask questions. We will also be setting up a forum for you as well, for the purpose of talking about how the design will work. Sorry I don't have all the answers just yet.

Pretty cool, good luck with your designs guys :D

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what people have come up with inside of the game.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I do think the item lore being able to be found inside of a book in the game is a good idea. Preferably not too far from the item itself, but not always inside the treasure chest or on the npc that was holding it.

Also, it'd be nice to see some sort of signing by the person who created it, ie the bottom of the lore entry saying something like

Item chronicled by Archmagister ChaosTheory SE 1447

Edited by KenThomas
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record. Chaos Theory asked today at Kickstarter about a comparision between player crafted items and epic high level items:

@Chaos Theory Very qood question. Let me check with Adam to see what he was thinking. We don't want to restrict data, but the items you guys create will be powerful in the game and matter. One thought is that we want to associate the designed items with quests.
  • Like 2

Just for the record. Chaos Theory asked today at Kickstarter about a comparision between player crafted items and epic high level items:

@Chaos Theory Very qood question. Let me check with Adam to see what he was thinking. We don't want to restrict data, but the items you guys create will be powerful in the game and matter. One thought is that we want to associate the designed items with quests.

We got a lot of info today, which is great. He also said that he was going to talk to the team today regarding more details on the design process for the $1k tier items/NPCs and would have more info soon.

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview here, Merceror asks:

Is there an ETA on when approximately you'll be sending out the item templates for the $1000 tier donors? How much info are we going to get alongside, since it's hard to design any item without the knowledge of the game mechanics?

And Adam responds:

It will probably be around the time when we really get a good basis for the rules system. Before then it will be hard to know exactly what sorts of features these items will be able to have. So it’s going to be at least several months. We’ll let everyone know when we’re getting closer to that point.

Edited by Ink Blot