Given that souls play a major role in this game, your dead companions could come back in some kind of soul-bound way to an object, animal, spirit, undead, or even mind.

I want my goblin-like herb-mixer remain in a talking voodo skull for example. Or your healer comes back as a ghost, the thief accompanies you as your shadow, the figther's soul in a weapon, the druid in an owl, the monk as a ghoul and so forth. In what form would you like to see a companion return to the world of the living?

Sounds completely unnecessary to me. These games have resurrection, so your companions will come back as themselves when you heal their body and return their soul. Now, will we see characters like liches (or something more creative) that has it's soul bound to an object against their will or to gain greater power? Sure, maybe, but I don't see why it's got to have anything to do with the party. I doubt this game will be as oddball as PS:T was, this isn't the planes after all, you aren't going to have a party composed of a talking skull, a zombie, a sentient armor, and a renegade cube robot.

I think they have already established they are going to do a more traditional themed fantasy RPG here like Baldur's Gate and are using PS:T as an inspiration in the deep emotional story and not it's awesome uniqueness. But have faith, if this game turns out well and succeeds financially maybe we'll get more old school RPG's and they can do a "spiritual sequel" to Torment. :-D

To you both, those ideas sound pretty wild, with the exception of souls pertaining to some sort of resurrection. I wonder if there could also be some unique class in which it can manipulate the souls and such. But if they do have some completely weird system for that it would be interesting? I will have to get back at the other games that will be similar to this since they are trying to add different elements from other games.

I think they have already established they are going to do a more traditional themed fantasy RPG here like Baldur's Gate and are using PS:T as an inspiration in the deep emotional story and not it's awesome uniqueness. But have faith, if this game turns out well and succeeds financially maybe we'll get more old school RPG's and they can do a "spiritual sequel" to Torment. :-D

Or we could have both! If you want traditional, let your companions live, if you want oddball, let them come back "odd" :D