I DO want to play inventory Tetris

Inventory management is good if: it forces you to make difficult choices. Do I dump these spare shotgun shells for these healing herbs?

Inventory management is pointless if: it forces you to drop vendor trash because you're full up. "Whelp, time to drop the items with the worst space:cost ratio."

• Like 9
jcod0.png

I never had an issue with the inventory slots. I did not like the dragon age approach. I can't really put my finger on it but I just got really frustrated with it. Mostly because of the shared inventory. I'd rather have separate inventory for each character and have it based on weight and not just slots. I like the strategism of deciding who should carry what when my wizard is obviously weakest and my fighter being strongest.

Edited by patboy12
  • Like 1

I don't mind SOME inventory tetris... but c'mon, this is a game about exploration. You need plenty of space to hold the two dozen halberds that the gnolls you just killed dropped.

I can understand that you don't want me packratting everything I ever found ala fallout 2, but don't restrict me like Resident Evil 4. That was more annoying than anything. It didn't make for hard decisions, it made for tons of herb combining and a lot of skipped ammo.

I'd prefer something like ye old planescape/bg. Some spare inventory, but not unlimited. Heck, it'd also be nice if there were some hidden goodies like BGII's bags of holding. ESPECIALLY for missile weapons. It was annoying when you could only have stacks of 20 arrows, and I really don't think it helped immersion.

• Like 1

Inventory should be there, it should have limitations and, more importantly, it should be practical and make sense. It should be easy to use. Never a hassle.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Inventory control is never realistic. You are out in the wilderness and have just killed off a dozen or more bandits, found loot in chests or lying around. The bandits all have various weapons and armour. You are already wearing armour, have collected various items, have potions and you want to collect as much as you can. Whether slots or weight or a combo of the two doesn't matter. That diamond weighing little will take up one slot. That suit of armour weighing 100 pounds will take up one slot. No matter what it just is fantasy.

I handle inventory by pulling up suppression of disbelief. Grab everything I can that has any value, drop the junk or low value stuff and wish for a pack mule.

What ever the developers come up with I will learn to live with it. What I would like is an inventory sorter.

• Like 3

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I prefer weight limits rather than Tetris approaches. That said my mind just went to "You really shouldn't have stored X ingredient near Y and then got caught in a fire-ball - *boom*" :)

He shouldn't have been carrying all that alchemist's fire . . .

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Inventory Tetris just doesn't work as a means of immersion. Everything you gain in terms of immersion from the feeling of a real, physical inventory is lost by the fact that you have just stopped your adventure to spend fifteen minutes playing Tetris with your inventory objects.

If not the IE's nice, simple single-slot style, then NWN-style where you have loads and loads of space and Bags of Holding are aplenty is fine, but I hope this stays faaaaaaar away from a Diablo-esque Knapsack Filling Problem Simulator system. More adventuring, less fiddling with vendor trash value/space ratios and backtracking.

I really don't like the IE inventory system, so I hope they use something else. There's too much micromanagement involved with that and you spent too much time with not on your inventory, but the inventory of the other party members as well.

I prefer the Gothic/Risen way of doing it e.g. not at all, in Baldur's Gate the happiest moment was finding the Bag of Holding and "player.modav carryweight" is probably the most useful console command in Bethesda games.

It's always somehow seemed kind of stupid if there is some urgent pressing concern or you're in the middle of a dungeon and suddenly have to start folding your underwear.

As long as it isn't like the Witcher 2, I probably won't complain. I find inventory management tedious, and the Witcher 2's system made it a headache beyond belief. I don't know why they didn't just stick with the system from the first game.

Having to play Inventory Tetris doesn't bother me too much as long as I can see everything and organize it to some degree, rather than having to scroll through a long list. The old Infinity Engine style inventory would be the simplest way to go.

I'm fine with a system that takes into account item size (as a property) and item weight, and ensuring that the player has the space to carry it.

Ultima VII was like this. I couldn't put a Two handed sword into a tiny bag, nor could I carry something if I was already over burdened.

• Like 3