Update #3: Game Basics - Your Party, Your Characters, and Races

Plot hook is vague indeed, but it does tell us something: they'll be trying to tell a story that involves a PC in a deeply personal manner, rather than just be something that happens around him. So probably more meaningful than your tired old "there's a big bad invading. Go save the world".

I, for one, am glad.

Plot hook is vague indeed, but it does tell us something: they'll be trying to tell a story that involves a PC in a deeply personal manner, rather than just be something that happens around him. So probably more meaningful than your tired old "there's a big bad invading. Go save the world".

I, for one, am glad.

Deep personal matter that can have substantial impact on our companions, strangers, whatnot-----sounds a bit like PS:T to me. :D

Also, I predict a large base of female dwarf ranger characters.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

This was a much better update than before but still important questions remain.

The scaling question is a good one.

And is the visual style confirmed as fixed isometric with painted 2d backgrounds?

And the whole Soul based magic system really needs an explanation. Mana based? Vancian? An Arcane/Divine separation?

Edited by oldmanpaco

Codex Explorer

Races

We are still developing the races of Project Eternity, but we are creating a range that encompasses the recognizable (e.g. humans, elves, dwarves), the out-of-the-ordinary (e.g. the so-called "godlike"), and the truly odd (?!). Races and subraces differ from each other culturally, but the races also have different physiological factors that can contribute to friction and confusion between them.

The description "truly odd" makes me think of Modrons and the like. I'm intrigued by what you guys come up with. :)

Also, to the people complaining about Elves and Dwarves, it's a fantasy game, you have to have elves and dwarves. What's important is Obsidian's take on elves and dwarves. I'm willing to trust them on this one. ;)

(tbh, I am a bit biased as I like playing as dwarves. :p)

I don't think I'm alone in being slightly disappointed that this setting is going to include "elves" and "dwarves", is there any chance of that changing?

This is something I don't get about some people here. Firstly, more choices means you can customize your own experience by choosing what race you want to be. Secondly, you may not like them but what about others who do want them?

I personally always liked the Elven attack method - wait long enough and your enemy will age and die :)

That said, for many the first images some people imaging when the word fantasy is mentioned are Dragons, elves, mages, dwarfs, orcs etc... for many those character classes are the bedrock of fantasy. It will be interesting what the final races are and how they are integrated into the narrative.

I instantly thought of the Black Hound myself.

Glad to hear that I wasn't misremembering entirely.

We need to get Sammael in here to get a reminder of the details...

I was actually responding to you when I wrote that, forgetting that things move so quickly nowadays around here. Sammael had saved tons and tons of Jefferson (I think it was Jefferson) related stuff at one point. I think the Black Hound idea was pretty awesome. It was, like some of the folks here have posted, much more personal than so called 'epic' in nature, which meant that you were addressing personal concerns. Those concerns touched on the lives of other people, of course, but it was much more introspective in nature. Awesome sauce

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This was a much better update than before but still important questions remain.

The scaling question is a good one.

And is the visual style confirmed as fixed isometric with painted 2d backgrounds?

And the whole Soul based magic system really needs an explanation. Mana based? Vancian? An Arcane/Divine separation?

There shouldn't be an arcane/divine separation. Makes more sense both design wise and due to the magic = soul thing. Clerics would just put their magic to different use than arcanists.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Sounds awesome! Not sure why so many people are opposed to the traditional fantasy races. I'm happy that you guys are sticking to the basics. :) And really, the individual elements of the game aren't as important as the way they all come together to tell a unique story and create a unique experience.

The Set-Up

The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

It's funny how this sounds like one of those "generic plot starters" from that "every Bioware game has the same plot" thing. I don't mean to imply that Obsidian redoes the same thing over and over, it's just this is so generic sounding, like it could describe a bunch of different games. I mean, it's not like they've done this hook before - wait a second, that's the plot to Mask of the Betrayer! And KotOR 2! And Fallout: New Vegas! Obsidian you hacks!

It's a tired RPG cliche, yes, but it's the best way to set up an RPG with a completly custom character without having to assume, and likely force, certain backgound/motivation/race/etc choices on your character.

I liked most of the story, buuut elves and dwarves? :down: Yea, even if they are different, I have to be honest that I am dissapointed with using them and not something completely new. Now we know two of the limited race selection slots and companions will be them. Also, the opening premise sounds a bit...er...generic. However, it doesn't give enough detail and details are important so I wont judge.

I think most of us will be more excited when we have info about the other races, However, if one of them is an ogre I am pulling my funding..just kidding...maybe. :yucky:

I am interested about the magic system, could we have some info and the type of magic we will be able to use. Also, is there any non combat magic? I feel that combat magic is all we ever get and it would be nice to have something beyond fighting magic.

Oh, one other thing, will everybody treat you different based on who you are (race/sex/occupation)? Or will people just ignore that and treat you the same regardless. I hope the former personally.

Would you prefer if they were call Tuatha De Dannan and Dwerrows instead? :p

...but if you are going to have slim, pointed-eared long lived humanoids and short, stock and typically hairy ones in your setting, you might as well call them something people are going to know.

Edited by Foefaller

At least some concrete news, thanks! Still, I have a question about the set-up and how the world will work.

You say that "the player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance.". What I would want to know is if the world around us will kind of evolve with the passing of time, or will it just wait for the player to unlock the plot? If the set-up involves some huge (world wide?) event, and if the player isn't the hero that saves the day right from the start, one could logically assess that those events would change part of the setting one way or the other, would it be gradually or suddenly.

Of course, nobody really likes to hear the clock ticking while playing (like with Fallout 1's water chip). But on the other side, an (partialy) evolving world can be so much more immersive... while asking a lot of work to be correctly done, I suspect.

Anyway, that's my question. Moving world, or world centered around the player's actions and waiting for them to happen?

Just my humble suggestion, but maybe you could also explore the history of this world with the PC creation. Something like : there was this great insurrection among this human city ruled by southern elves. Your human parents died for your sake and their beliefs, and left you alone. It's a great way of personnalising our character and having some future personnal errands to do.

More broadly, there must be some great historic events in there and I think it's a good idea to ask of our character where they were at that time.

Great and inspiring premisses by the way. I'm burning my refined elfic pants in anticipation here :)

I don't think I'm alone in being slightly disappointed that this setting is going to include "elves" and "dwarves", is there any chance of that changing?

This is something I don't get about some people here. Firstly, more choices means you can customize your own experience by choosing what race you want to be. Secondly, you may not like them but what about others who do want them?

Personally, I did vote in that poll about being fine with classical races if there were twists. Sounds like there will be plenty of twisty depth planned.

It's fantasy based on the IE classics. There's only so much Obsidian can stretch in that ideal before it snaps and becomes DA:O ( :x ).

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

1-6 person party is perfect more then 6 and thing get a little hectic. I also like the idea of custom marching order or formations, important for that blitzkrieg type attacks. Thank you for the up-date.

Murder in Dunlop, Fanglewood, �My Class is Rogue ... "You look surprised to see me. If you'd been paying attention, you might still be alive." bandit.png

Formations

A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations. As in the good ol' games, you can arrange your party in a large number of set formations. You can also construct your own formations if you want to get fancy. When moving companions, you have the ability to rotate formations for more precise positioning.

Nothing wrong with better control over party movement, but it seems like more cosmetic and interface feature.

Will we see formations integrated in combat engine somehow (modifying attack or defense rolls, for example), I wonder?

Maybe it's been mentioned and maybe it's already planned, but wanted to chime in to say that the game should be balanced for 6 party members, where experience gained would be split between the six. This mechanic added a lot of replayability to the older games, where I would play through with full parties for the variety of tactical and story elements, but also where I would play solo for the challange (at first) but eventually building an obscene powerhouse of a character.

I have a lot of faith you guys will do right by this project and will remember the little (and big) things that made your previous games such huge successes (For example, don't skimp on your audio and music, put thought into it like before. So many games nowdays do this as an afterthought). The stretch goals you guys put up were quite underwhelming but I'm sure part of it you guys being overwhelmed by the support.

Thanks for the update Sawyer!

And IMO this is exactly the type of fuel the KS needs to keep the funding going.

I'm really enjoying reading your ideas for the game.

Your Party

6 characters... sweet :) (well, I guess everyone was expecting this one anyway)

Formations

About the formations, are you going for a menu similar to the one in ToEE? I think that one was pretty versatile and useful.

Character Creation

What do you have in mind for the ability scores?

How do the traits, skills and talents work together? I mean, by the names there seems to be some overlapping.

Races

How many distinct races do you see this world having?

I know this must be limited for budget reasons, but if this wasn't the case, how many would it make sense to have while having significant differences between each other.

mmmm.... I'm so happy about this project :dancing:

Edited by hideo kuze