I didn't found anything solid about this topic, so here it goes:

What do you think abut profession systems?

I think I would want some kind of professions in the game like alchemy, first aids, herbalism or even engineering.

It would be nice if:

• We need to do something to get better without implying repetitive tasks.
  • We can have custom recipes.
  • We can read books to actually learn some (few) of the recipes, having to take out the recipe after reading the book to a custom recipe.
  • We can collect things (items, medals, flavor items) from them.
  • We need to explore deeply to get the best rewards from them.
  • We can benefit from them in dialogues and / or in the battlefield.
  • It would be awesome if them allows us to have an exclusive assistant or some sort of companion / pet.

I like having professions in the game; they add to the game a new level of progression and mix some of the responsibilities from some classes with new ones that won't fit a class system at all. They are rewarding and give a motto for those explorer players. What do you think?

I like your idea, because they are cross-class skills. But I also like the idea of learning stuff from people: either for money or as a reward etc.

Learning stuff from people is a good idea, like if you have to spend some time with someone to learn something from them.

Hmm.. Can't say I've ever played a game in which I enjoyed crafting stuff. Still, a lot of people swear by it so I'm not opposed to it or anything. It's just that I would not care at all if it was not included and likely wouldn't make use of it if it was. Unless Obsidian comes up with some kind of revolutionary crafting system which truly blows my mind, that is.

i think its something best saved for a sequel, its a lot of work to implement well for not nearly as much reward as would be derived from investing that same work into encounter design, level design, magic system, combat system, dialogues, choice & consequence etc etc etc

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't consider them vital to an RPG but I do like how professions can add tinkering/gameplay value. I'm not too concerned about having a huge plethora of them however and they don't have be terribly complex. Alchemy tends to be my personal fave in most games, if only because typically I find it the most useful. eg most of the time things like blacksmithing and such never feel rewarding enough in the long run, compared to just loot-hunting.

But yes, it's likely a lot of work...extra items, mechanics, scripting. Something else for a high stretch goal perhaps, with new ones in any sequels. And there will be sequels...because I want there to be and say so, and thus it will happen. Like magic.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If we tie a specific craft(ing skill) to a specific character, then min-maxing will lead us to ignore other such set ups over the course of several playthroughs, and eventually for most future players.

Like, say, in Morrowind, when you ignored everything until you got the Chameleon Ring, because someone said so.

(Not that I'm angry, but I loved Morrowind the tiniest fraction less for memorizing exploits, as such.)

Then comes the issue of making the craft feel special.

It's done well in situations where there's limited crafting options, such as Skyrim, but only because (Alchemy affected enchanting which affected smithing which affected enchanting which affected alchemy) of synergy.

Dragon Age 2 had passablly interesting, yet effective 'crafting,' and made sense within the scope of the game, taking place over several years in a narrative. However, it did not allow for the potions made, or the runes made, to have any sort of weight to them, save for the one rune I remember awesome Dwarf-Comedy-Relief making, in plot.

KoTOR 2 had fine crafting, and Arcanum asides, but the former was lessened by being entirely shopping/monetary based, come end-game.

New Vegas, as well, had this problem, though the Gun Runner's Arsenal upped the ante enough in terms of variety that it felt special again.

Do I want an item I make to feel special?

Yes.

Do I want to grind for it?

No.

Do I want resources scattered throughout the game world?

Yes.

Do I want a variety of items to make, with seperate uses?

Yes.

Do I want a variety of ways to make a given item, possibly varying its effectiveness, and having consequences for doing so?

Yes, I want to accidentally make a beer that poisons a king, using DEATHWEED as opposed to hops.

And if you ever add something like, say, Gecko Backed Leather Armour, well...

Could it combine more than one set of crafts?

And maybe do more than make me look slightly tribal?

Do I want a variety of ways to make a given item, possibly varying its effectiveness, and having consequences for doing so?

Yes, I want to accidentally make a beer that poisons a king, using DEATHWEED as opposed to hops.

Great idea!

But yes, it's likely a lot of work...extra items, mechanics, scripting. Something else for a high stretch goal perhaps, with new ones in any sequels. And there will be sequels...because I want there to be and say so, and thus it will happen. Like magic.

The sky is the limit, yes it s a lot of work, but the amount of work this project is going to yield is directly proportional to the amount of money Kickstarter is going to collect. We need to be generous!