Sex and Romance Poll

Romance Poll  

530 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Sex/Romance you want to see in the game?

• I want homosexual options of romance\sex
    • I want male filled testosterone kind of sex/romance, lots of cleavage and hot girls
    • I want a more Intellectual kind of sex\romance, with lots of interesting dialogue, quests and well behaved characters
    • None of the above
    • All of the above except for the 4 option

there is no reason to exclude them.

Except for limited resources.

Considering that the game is not even funded yet, still 28 days, they cannot outright ban romances as a possibility. They still don't know how much money they will be able to use. Considering that romances are extra content... shouldn't we complain about getting Mac version of the game instead of extra content? Just an example, don't read too much into it. Just keep in mind that when someone doesn't want something in the game, one of the arguments is "Limited resources". ;)

The fact you would compare romances to a mac version is.......... well let's say silly. Mac user and Linux user are people that will pledge for this game that might otherwise not. They are not a drain on resources, because they have been budgeted as stretch goals. Romances are a drain on resources, an unnecessary one.

if I read another time "romance have nothing to do with RPG"

Romance have nothing to do with RPGs.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

@TwinkieGorilla : cRPG ? Honestly, I don't know, but tabletop RPG, I can find... Let's see... Vampire the requiem ? Ah, yes, there is an extension (Dead love) only based on romance and why it can perfectly fits with all sort of storyline. Satisfied ?

Edited by Lostbrain

Dark Goddess of the Obsidian Order.

if I read another time "romance have nothing to do with RPG"

Romance (has) nothing to do with RPG(s).

I wrote a post on page 17 asking somebody to name one revered cRPG which is revered because of romance.

Why CRPG?

Why not lets say JRPG XD

Final Fantasy X

As for West RPGs. I loved how it was developed in the Witcher 2 as well.

Romance is still kind of a taboo topic in videogames which makes me very sad.

And no romance is not the Mass effect or even Dragon Age way.

In order to make money and sustain their business.

Why ? In order to pay beautiful coffin when we die ?

And if they they enjoy the genre, why not try to improve it in roleplay terms by add significants dialogs who raise RP parts ? (uh... it's so true that I don't think that's a troll... Sorry.)

Edited by Lostbrain

Dark Goddess of the Obsidian Order.

Simple romances are a burden on resources. When your bioware with $20mil in resources, you can add six romances. When your Obs with $3-4 millions, you can't. Accept that and move on.

Story, branching pathways, factions, lore, class design, system design, encounter design, etc are all more important than romances. Yes it's my opinion and I really don't care if you don't agree with it.

But this is not true.

So writers, designers and QA time is not a resource?

Few pages of branching dialogues are no burden.

Refer to my previous statement.

otherwise the whole system of dialogues with party characters would have been cut off. Romance dialogue is a great minority of party dialogue even in as romance centered and dialogue light game as Mass Effect

Mass Effect had a huge budget, to even compare them is a joke.

Mask of the Betrayal didn't have 20 mil budget but there were romances and there was no indication from developers that they was no indication from developers that the romances strained their budget.

Betrayer. Mask of the Betrayer. And it was more than 3 million. Plus they where very, very minor and there was only two of them. I somehow doubt this is want people are suggesting when they request romances.

It's just another piece of dialogue, I don't know why are you so much against it. You waste more budget on an useless companion nobody wants. You just want them to exclude romances because Bioware did them,

I couldn't care less about what bio does. This is Obsidian.

not because you are concerned with written dialogue ruining a budget of a game

Time is money, money = resources, resources are better spent elsewhere.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Nome one revered RPG which people love because of item descriptions

Fallout.

or because it included gnomes.

Arcanum.

None of those games are revered specifically because of those elements. But since every game where the element is generally considered good passes then flirting in Torment and romances in MoTB should also pass.

I think you guys might be at an "is not" / "is so" stalemate.

I'm not a giant fan of romances. The Handmaiden romance worked for me because it was more implied. Visas creeped me right out. Morrigan worked for me because I'm a Claudia Black fanboy. But most others just leave me feeling creepy if I pursue them or like I'm missing content if I don't.

I also didn't care to see Dwarves and Elves, but they're going to be in the game. It wasn't a big deal to me and I think the degree of my concern is similar on this subject.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

No need to be such a downer, brah.

Your character needs to smoke a blunt, for real.

Happy Endings are boring, it's not like the Planescape Torment ending was a happy one :p

Something like this would be fun ...

PC has dialogue options and adequate stats to gain the attention of a member of a particular faction's female lover. PC picks right dialogue options/rolls successfully and has a tryst with said woman.

Member of faction rocks up unexpectedly during your tryst, murders her before you and you have to fight him then escape the building. As a result of this you lose severe amounts of reputation with that faction and said faction member's relatives try and hunt you down.

Tragic, Brutal, Moral Choice, and rippling consequences ;)

Spent were? I rather have a great romance plot than some ****ty multiplayer. I rather have a great love story instead of a castle or stronghold with stupid mini games. Who decides where money should go? If Obsidian is listening to the people here you see a strong argument for romance options that are mature and intelligent instead of the Mass effect stuff.

So writers, designers and QA time is not a resource?

There are not a huge strain on the budget. By using that logic we should remove every element not everyone is going to see and not everyone is going to like that somehow costs money: item descriptions, sub-quests, every companion beyond the maximum companion limit, minor NPC dialogue, hidden bosses and the rest of party banter entirely. But for that reason? To include a newspaper many players won't like or even notice either?

Mass Effect had a huge budget, to even compare them is a joke.

I was comparing the percentages not the whole. Why do you think that romances will somehow make up more of party dialogue in a game not focused on romances and probably with loads of in-party dialogue than in a game that was focused on romances and had very little party dialogue.

Betrayer. Mask of the Betrayer. And it was more than 3 million. Plus they where very, very minor and there was only two of them. I somehow doubt this is want people are suggesting when they request romances.

Sure, everyone here want 18 romances, each with 10 hours worth of dubbed dialogue and 4 endings.

I couldn't care less about what bio does. This is Obsidian.

Obsidian makes romances. This is a fact.

For you, I and probably many other people would do without a newspaper telling me what I just did. You are just asking them to carter to a minority for no reason at all.

Edited by BasaltineBadger

Why ?

To give us pleasant distractions in an otherwise meaningless life.

Why CRPG?

Because that is the relevant topic for this particular sub-forum.

None of those games are revered specifically because of those elements.

Both of those games could claim reverance regarding those two random topics you listed as people do look to Fallout, for instance, as one of the leading examples of item descriptions. You still haven't answered my question though.

Actually, Tim Cain said in that interview that he regretted using so much time and money on features like the Tarant newspaper, instead of focusing on core issues like balancing combat and fixing bugs.

Arcanum, while a monumental acheivement and possibly the greatest computer RPG ever made, was released in the the most bug-ridden, broken and unfinished states I've ever seen.

Even today over 10 years later and much fan-patching, it still has bugs in it.

What I find funny is people saying 'going back to roots' and all. Well what does RPG stand for Role Playing Game, that doesn't translate into Role Playing Game With No Romance What-so-ever. If I want to ROLE PLAY with a romance option, that's my perogitive, if you don't then that's yours. I shouldn't be, along with the fans that WANT it, punished because of fans that don't when it will be, again, OPTIONAL!

Lets also see about the games that they have listed under their credentials:

Baldur's Gate series (2 had romance options)

Icewind Dale series (none)

Planescape: Torment (none)

Fallout and Fallout 2 (had romance options)

Fallout: New Vegas (had romance options)

Arcanum (had romance options)

Alpha Protocol (had romance options)

KoTOR2 (had romance options)

V:tM-B (had romance option)

Neverwinter Nights 2 (had romance options)

Dungeon Seige III (did not have romance options)

Temple of Elemental Evil (had romance options)

I dunno about you but majority of those HAD options. I may be missing some but still a good portion did.

• Like 1

@TwinkleGorilla

People look to Mass Effect as one of the leading example of video game romance, and to NV as the leading example of good portrayal of gay in video games, but what exactly does it proof.

You've just unwittingly proved my point. However, sadly, Mass Effect is not a revered cRPG. It is a crap console popamole game.

Will the pro-romance people just get back to the bioware boards please. There are plenty of games for you already, leave this one alone.

Will anti-romance crowd get back to the 80's please. There are plenty of games for you already, leave this one alone.

And Obsidian romances are better than Bioware ones.

You've just unwittingly proved my point. However, sadly, Mass Effect is not a revered cRPG. It is a crap console popamole game.

No, I did not. And it's just your opinion on ME, you can't pretend that the game is not revered for romances and as a good cRPG because you don't like it. I just showed you that the whole question is pointless.

Edited by BasaltineBadger
  • Like 1

Will anti-romance crowd get back to the 80's please.

I wish I could...

Seems like no matter where you go these days regarding RPG's, there's always a crowd yelling out for either LBGT, or romances, or a mix of those -- I'm just waiting when the "I wanto build a house, raise a family, farm some land and sell my crops in a shop I put up" -crowd finds its way here.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."