Sex and Romance Poll

Romance Poll  

530 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Sex/Romance you want to see in the game?

• I want homosexual options of romance\sex
    • I want male filled testosterone kind of sex/romance, lots of cleavage and hot girls
    • I want a more Intellectual kind of sex\romance, with lots of interesting dialogue, quests and well behaved characters
    • None of the above
    • All of the above except for the 4 option

I WANT romance in it. Just because 'you' don't doesn't mean the millions that do should suffer. Get this, it's OPTIONAL! You DON'T have to romance anyone.

This would be true if Obsidian had all of the time and money in the world to develop it to whatever perfect standard that they have in mind with no feature excluded or under developed within the 18 month time frame they've set themselves for completing the game. I'm guessing that it is super rare that such games are ever developed. And the kind of romances that people are asking for are a lot of work, so you are most likely wrong that having them in the game won't make other parts of the game suffer.

You know, I've noticed something about Kickstarter funded games. You go on the forums and you see arguments like this. They basically amount to "I don't want it so I'm just going to say that they're under a limited time and budget so it shouldn't happen, that way I don't look selfish for saying my wants are superior to the wants of others!"

think of it this way: imagine how much more complete that the rushed ending of ME3 would be if Bioware hadn't spent so many long hours of creating romance cutscenes, dialogue, animations and acting. Would you rather have had a better ending if it meant fewer romances? Can't have everything you want, and developers have to make these decisions all of the time. It's one or the other

The romance in the Mass Effect games had ZERO impact on the issues with the ending. Implying otherwise is being dishonest and manipulative.

All right, if it will make you feel better - I am pretty selfish, do not want any resources dedicated to making what I view as glorified dating simulators and yes in this case my wants are very superior to yours. Objective fact.

Actually, subjective opinion with a dollop of delusion.

I'm all for romances (hetero, homo, bi, whatever).

I'm also for the option to sleep with scantily clad tavern wenches that shows lots of cleavage, which could start a quest where you search for a cure for Elf AIDS.

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

I'm all for romances (hetero, homo, bi, whatever).

I'm also for the option to sleep with scantily clad tavern wenches that shows lots of cleavage, which could start a quest where you search for a cure for Elf AIDS.

And make harpies carry herpes for extra barrel o' laughs bonus points.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

How about magical spells that require the caster to swing her boobs in a certain direction

EDIT: Why is another word for mammary glands starting with "t" censored? :p

I'm apparently extremely offensive below the neck :p

I'd like a romance but only if it adds something to the story. The Alastair romance in Dragon Age feels like part of the main plot rather than tacked on.

He is secretly the heir to the throne and romancing him has serious and emotional consequences for the warden as well as the ending of the game.

I think (and hope) that this is an unlikely feature, sheerly because the player character is going to have so many options. Having an NPC who could fall in love with my swamp-dwelling half-ogre, my psychotic OCD dwarvish spelunker, or my equatorial pearl-diving elf with equal facility would require writing so bland as to be meaningless. I'll be just as happy if they don't bother.

Holy crap. No romances. Stop making these dumb threads.

All you people who need romances in your RPGs are crazy. They are about role playing in different settings with adventurers on quests, etc. They aren't suppose to be games that sate your deviant, sexual fantasies.

What if people want an immersive RPG experience but also want to satisfy there licentious, deviant, sexual fantasies?

The 2 experiences can be interchangeable.

Besides the majority of people want some kind of sexual relationship as you can see from the Poll.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A large variety, but rather not the usual rpg:

"sweet talk and gift her through chapters 1, 2, and 3, and you'll get a kiss and pledge of undying devotion in the end of chapter 4"

rather something like:

- platonic deep bond through shared hardship.

- mutual affection, either turning into love through time, or not

- just get drunk the day you meet and conquer his/her butt while he/she's passed out.

- lonely people on a hopeless quest, occasionally sharing the bed

But don't make it necessary to partake, and don't do those "oh, if you didn't pick the "line b" in chapter 2, the subplot ended right there.

It just seems improbable to trek around the countryside for a year with this omg hot hot bikini elf babe you picked up from the dark fortress of leather and whips,

and it'd actually never come up that maybe, just maybe, you'd like to...

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 2

And while there was some flirting in PS:T, it wasn't exactly a full romance path--between Annah and Grace, the potential romances were never completed for one reason or another; considering the tremendous textual quality of PS:T at ship, I'd argue PS:T did not suffer from that lack.

Though I haven't replayed PS:T for a couple of years, I do remember a bit about PS:T romances and don't agree that they are just "some flirting" and uncompleted. Do they follow the bioware formula for romances of late, like "flirt after a mission - get a character mission - another flirt - sex before the final battle" crap? No. But they are more than just flirting. Anyway, if there are romances in this game, I hope they're going to be creative and don't follow the same gameplay template like bioware always does.

// believing is bleeding

I enjoy a good romance in an RPG. One of my favorite ones, as I remember it, was in NWN2. It was between my female swashbuckler, she was good, but far from lawful, and that sort of tortured paladin, don't recall his name. Now, I actually don't know if NWN2 has romances, but its how it came across to me, so I'm calling it one. Just as they were starting to get close to each other, everybody dies! Doom doom doom! It had this great tragic feel to it. A tragic love story running along side the end of the world. It just fit. It was perfect in my mind. Maybe there was more to it, if I had made different choices, but where it ended up in my playthrough just fit perfectly. There was no sex, don't have any issue with sex though, just this developing bond between two characters that gets cut short by the end of the world.

I'd love to see better written and more serious takes on relationships than what we generally get in games and I know Obsidian has the writing skill to make it happen.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

It just seems improbable to trek around the countryside for a year with this omg hot hot bikini elf babe you picked up from the dark fortress of leather and whips,

and it'd actually never come up that maybe, just maybe, you'd like to...

I like your post and it resonates with me :)

For example, take BG2. How can any straight person facing the impending end of the world from a Bhaal child spawn not want to bed something as hot as Viconia or ignore her salacious advances?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Holy crap. No romances. Stop making these dumb threads.

All you people who need romances in your RPGs are crazy. They are about role playing in different settings with adventurers on quests, etc. They aren't suppose to be games that sate your deviant, sexual fantasies.

What if people want an immersive RPG experience but also want to satisfy there licentious, deviant, sexual fantasies?

The 2 experiences can be interchangeable.

Besides the majority of people want some kind of sexual relationship as you can see from the Poll.

No they both can't be done. Who cares what the "majority" wants? This poll is meaningless because of how few votes there are and this isn't a democracy. You DONATE money to the kickstarter and they build the game they want to build. It doesn't matter what some people want. This is a RPG. Not a sex/social simulator for deviants who can't build a relationship in real life.

The guys at Obsidian have stated they don't really like romances in games and I'm confident they'll do the right thing by keeping them out of the game.

No they both can't be done. Who cares what the "majority" wants? This poll is meaningless because of how few votes there are and this isn't a democracy. You DONATE money to the kickstarter and they build the game they want to build. It doesn't matter what some people want. This is a RPG. Not a sex/social simulator for deviants who can't build a relationship in real life.

Man, thats kind of rude..,.

I dont have any problems to get a girlfriend or to have sex, but i like romances in video games, how does this work? :D

Maybe its because: IMMERSION! Anyone?

And besides: Obsidian ASK to discuss such themes in this forums, so this poll DO care Obsidian. That they add romance only because 337 user make their decision in this poll is another question(i dont think Obsidian will, but its only my opinion). But it is necessary for Obsidian, the backers and the development process to give feedback, ideas, and so on. If you dont want to participate: Go ahead! But dont mock us, because WE want ;)

The guys at Obsidian have stated they don't really like romances in games and I'm confident they'll do the right thing by keeping them out of the game.

Do you have a source? I would like to read this on my own.

If they dont like it, why they add it to their games? :D

kind regards,

Jira

Edited by Jiraboas

This is a RPG. Not a sex/social simulator for deviants who can't build a relationship in real life.

I'm in a happy relationship thankyouverymuch. So instead we only focus on some hack and slay for people who can't get a good killing spree done in real life and need to compensate for missed army time? I also take it that people who are in a relationship don't read books or watch movies, those feature love scenes that certainly took resources from the author that could've spend on more action scenes and bloodshed? Sorry, but if you want games to be accepted as an art form and not just kiddie stuff, you should be open to all things that make us human, which certainly includes love and sexual themes as well, probably more than blood and gore in the 1398th boss fight.

Again, I'm not asking for Bioware-style teenie romances or boobies, but for mature themes for a mature audience.

• Like 4

I have no idea why this popped into my head, but any sexual encounters in the game should range from a George Michaels trading alcohol for gay sex with hobos in a public park to courting a wealthy socialite over a series of balls/parties. Perhaps relationships could scale the same. :dancing:

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

This is a RPG. Not a sex/social simulator for deviants who can't build a relationship in real life.

So instead we only focus on some hack and slay for people who can't get a good killing spree done in real life and need to compensate for missed army time?

This doesn't even make any sense. I play RPGs where I kill monsters because I can't kill humans in the army? Are you serious?

Sorry, but if you want games to be accepted as an art form and not just kiddie stuff, you should be open to all things that make us human, which certainly includes love and sexual themes as well, probably more than blood and gore in the 1398th boss fight.

Again, I'm not asking for Bioware-style teenie romances or boobies, but for mature themes for a mature audience.

I don't care about games being considered art. It's irrelevant. It's a game, not my life.

And yes you are asking for those Bioware style teenie romances along with all the others who voted for them in this poll. All these people are from Bioware and have played the ME and DA series. So what kind of romances do you think you guys are asking for? Like Bioware but more MATURE. Because MATURE SEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS IN GAMES ARE WHERE ITS AT. YEAH.

Get real.

So instead we only focus on some hack and slay for people who can't get a good killing spree done in real life and need to compensate for missed army time?

This doesn't even make any sense. I play RPGs where I kill monsters because I can't kill humans in the army? Are you serious?

exactly, it doesnt. that was his whole point, to show you how ridiculous your argument was

• Like 3

Do you know how stupid...

(yes, I said stupid. s-t-u-p-i-d)

that argument is?

Truly stupid.

If you want combat, go out there and have some. You want adventure? Go out there and have some. You want some friendships? Go out there and have some. You want to manage inventories? Go out there and manage some. Want to kill people? Guess what.

Seriously, stop it. If you really want to irrationally hate romances in videogames, do it. But at least have decency of using non-childish arguments for it. At least when we are talking about Obsidian and their intentions of a solid and mature game. Tell me about limited resources, tell me about feature creep, tell me about difficulty in writing, tell me about something related to the game itself but stop slinging insults that don't really defend your point.

• Like 2

None of the above. If I want romance, I'll go date a girl in real life.

But it is a lot cheaper to romance an NPC! :banana:

• Like 1
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.