What type of "player house" would you like?

Choose your "player house"  

378 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like most as a "player house"

I wouldn't want anything special. For some reason I think "houses" are a waste(talking about games of course). All I want is a place to put my extra items in case I need them later and maybe be able to do some crafting/enchanting alchemy. In F:NV terms, that is a cell with containers and crafting tables that does not reset it self.

A normal house.

Maybe a fortress, if it's handled automatically like the Suikoden games. I know character recruitment in P.E. and Suikoden are nothing alike, but it's fun to see your base grow without you having to worry too much.

As long as it's not handled like in NWN2, I'm good. It was cool at first, but managing the keep got slightly annoying in the end. One thing it did right was that you actually got side quests from it.

As long as it's not handled like in NWN2, I'm good. It was cool at first, but managing the keep got slightly annoying in the end. One thing it did right was that you actually got side quests from it.

I liked Crossroad Keep. And would like to see something similar again. But again it's an extra and not a necessity.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

A normal house.

Maybe a fortress, if it's handled automatically like the Suikoden games. I know character recruitment in P.E. and Suikoden are nothing alike, but it's fun to see your base grow without you having to worry too much.

Crossroad keep was a quest and plot point rather than a house. The Flagon in Neverwinter was more like a house for your character.

A normal house.

Crossroad keep was a quest and plot point rather than a house. The Flagon in Neverwinter was more like a house for your character.

Well, you're right. I don't want something like Crossroad keep, but I don't something simple like the Drunken Flagon. Something inbetween would be cool. I want to be able to upgrade my home, but I don't want it to take too much focus from my adventuring.

A house with narrative relevance or none at all. If a fortress has relevance to the story (case in point: NWN2), let it be a fortress. If a bandit hideaway has relevance to the story, let it be a bandit hideaway. Give me a tool to make my character more than what he would otherwise be.

But don't just give me a cube in the closest major city where I can store things. Give me a place with a story. Or one which exists as a function of the game story.

First and foremost, not just a house that we can customize and store stuff in, a "skyrim"-like house would be utterly pointless and terrible.

It has to be something along the lines of what was done in Baldur's Gate 2 with Strongholds or Neverwinter nights 2 with the Keep. It must be relevant to the game story, main plot or a side quest, but no random house somewhere on the map, with no interactions, no plot and which would basically be a giant wardrobe. The "house" must add to the story (special banters with npc there, quests etc ...) and add to the gameplay (upgradable house, unlocking special merchant, features, items etc..?).

It would also be great if there were different "houses", depending on your class, on choices you've done etc.

I like inns. It gives the atmosphere that you're adventurers. A house gives the atmosphere that you're one guy instead of a group, or that you're squatters. A dungeon's kind of creepy. A fortress veers too much towards army.

But an inn? It's informal, it's the classic place to meet adventurers and get new quests.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I like inns. It gives the atmosphere that you're adventurers. A house gives the atmosphere that you're one guy instead of a group, or that you're squatters. A dungeon's kind of creepy. A fortress veers too much towards army.

But an inn? It's informal, it's the classic place to meet adventurers and get new quests.

I agree with you, it is probably the best choice. However, I love fortresses, and upgrading them. So keep your logic to yourself.

I personally do like the idea of a residence however as many others have stated it should be relevant to the character & class. That being said I would love to see the opportunity for a house to be implemented in such a way to make it unique. What I mean by this is that there should be multiple locations that could become a house. Old ruins, empty villages dungeons that have been cleared abandoned houses / vessels and straight up places to buy. While some of these may have side quests or main plot implications they may be quite remote to the plot and places you need to be. People that have no interest in a dwelling are not forced into anything and those that want such can travel as they please to find something that works for them. When the PC identifies the location they wish to claim it would be great if there could be, as someone else suggested before, events to be linked or triggered. If left insecure break-ins and theft. If in a remote area bandits attack and potentially take over and need to be dealt with. If someone wants a dungeon finding monsters to populate it, or when the monsters break out get them under control. Having a dwelling gives the PC a way to empty their purse on hiring staff/ guards and customising the look and feel. It should become more than a loot drop. I do like the idea that a loyal companion can add value and income to the inn or guard and train at the fortress. If there are potential random events that can occur at the dwelling the PC should be able to take preventative measure to combat them, Hire / train guards. Install traps, Upgrade locks and hide valuables to reduce loss. If goods are stolen they should have the opportunity to track down and recover however the longer it is lost the less chance and less recovered, These can be plots on their own. I do like the idea of an inn and you would expect to generate an income depending on the improvements added. If you have the warriors itching to own a fortress they will need to fund this somehow and while taxing the locals can be one avenue fleecing tourists can be a bonus. For the less reputable characters running houses of ill repute and gambling dens however the local criminal elements might just muscle in if the local law doesn’t shut you down (unless they are persuaded- how is up to you ). All points to consider and I fear I have gone a little sideways.

I think that a ship would be ideal, especially if it can be moved through bodies of water to each major quest hub after barriers preventing access are removed. I tend to use player houses to store my loot, companions, and to have a all-in-one location for shopkeepers since I am a packrat by nature. Having a portable and well-executed player house would be very nice to see in the game. :)

How about an upgradable ship that you can use to cross the sea?

fully upgraded it will be something between an ironclad and a dreadnought, that can battle its way through sea monsters.

off course that final upgrade might only be available if crossing the sea is an ingame option, if not it will be made available as a stretch goal/expansion.

Something like a flop house behind a brothel, a dirty and seedy place where you're occasionally called to act as a bouncer. Its redeeming qualities should be that the law does not bother the place, it's a great place for picking up rumours and earning a little coin from less than reputable sources.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!