What type of "player house" would you like?

Choose your "player house"  

378 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like most as a "player house"

One which is tied to my character's class, personality, overarching plot, does't just serve to stock loot and has related quests and stuff.

This. Otherwise none whatsoever.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Should depend on your type of character, a thief for example, would want something very low profile, that maybe could be called a hideout instead of a house, but now if you play a Paladin that fights for the good of the city, then maybe you live in the noble neighbourhood in a mansion

• Like 2

One which is tied to my character's class, personality, overarching plot, does't just serve to stock loot and has related quests and stuff.

This. Otherwise it's a total waste of time and money.

Say no to popamole!

Mostly I would like to houses type depending on choices what player makes on his/her way through plot, but if it must be only one thing then I would it be castle or inn because in my experience those two are best places to include in a fantasy story and they are brilliant places to start many small voluntary quests to add play hours (like bandits on the road, why some one don't go clean them up?, etc.).

• Like 1

Well that sounds to me like a plot device, something intended to advance the story. What I find more interesting is actually the opposite - Something which is not tied to my characters class and story. The more the player is outside of his "natural habitat", the more interesting things can happen.

Edited by Kopi

It has to fit the character. BG2 did this pretty well with so many options, whereas NWN2 had Crossroads Keep which was much more fleshed out and was customizable, but only felt appropriate to Fighter-type characters. My mage playthrough just felt out of place and not as supported by the that part of the story.

I would like a tree-fortress, with an inn and dungeon, and an customizeable airship anchored amongst the branches.

I'm serious.

And then you'd travel around with that airship, from town to town, region to region, or nation to nation. So that no matter where you went, you'd have that "hub" or "base" with you. And then you'd have a real, major "home base" in the fortress.

Furthermore, I'd like to see the player "home" significantly tied to your choice of race, class, and choices made in the story, subquests or universe. Different choices should result in you being able to recruit different characters or vendors, or get different upgrades. For example, if you can fit a temple into the fortress (or whatever we end up with), that should have a profound and long-lasting effect on almost everything else. Your choice of race could make the difference between a wall of living hedges defending your keep, or a massive thick wall covered in spikes.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm not really gung-ho about houses in RPGs, especially in the "I'll put the head of that DRAGONBEAR I killed above that AWESOME MAHOGANY nightstand I crafted by CLOGGING ten pieces of wood with PURE SKILLS" sense.

Whether a house is easy to use for the player and his/her party would imply that they are not in direct danger, it somehow defeats any feeling of quest urgency or danger. Also, a quest implies the idea of a journey : there is a strong narrative regression if the player periodically "feels at home." At least I do. But I could deal with something special like the Planar Sphere, or Chrono Trigger's "End of Time".

If that was up to me, I would design an event where burglars come into the player's home while no one is there, rob the PHAT LOOT the player LOVINGLY stashed into ONE chest before doing unspeakable THINGS to the furnitures. Following quest would includes the party having to deal with INNOCENT young adventurers who bought part of said loot, yet refuse to give it back.

This said, I admit that a home is a formidable convenience in many games.

• Like 1

Without knowing the context of the story and world its difficult to say what I would prefer to be honest.

With a purely blind choice though I would like it if you 'find' an old fort / castle like some of the old ruins around my country where you can see the old skeleton of walls and fortifications. Seemingly long abandoned and after clearing out the local wildlife you decide to use it as a base. Lore wise you are able to claim it because it is either out of the way of anything considered important or is just in such a bad state of repair that nobody wants it. After that you could have lots of options to rebuild it into whatever style floats your boat...an inn / way station for travellers, a fortress for building a meaningful power base, a secret lair from which to raid passing caravans or start a revolution...the list is almost endless...

• Like 3

What this guy is saying.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't care of the form, but I fell in love with The Sink in F:NV though I am not a "own a building in yo rpg and fill it like a girl's room" idea lover. So something that is so well made as The Sink. I don't want just another Sims function in my RPG (that's nothing against The Sims, which I like).

• Like 1

Yes, yes, yes. Nothing out of character. It's really impossible to tell without know what the plot is and what my character is like. But, really, as I mentioned in another thread, if I'm going to be an outlaw or something like that, I would want something that reflects that - like a hole in the ground...

Still playing through Planescape Torment...

I voted for the Inn, but depending on character development (i.e. player's progression), it could become just a front for some laboratory, thieves' den or just continue being a normal house, in which player could host a meeting with their acquaintances.

Edited by Ethesen

Another vote for a house tied to a character's class. If not, at least make it a fun place to revisit like the Sink in OWB. However, if I could get my personalized dream stronghold it would be an inverted tower descending ever deeper into the earth. I'm corny that way.