The Definitive Race Poll

Races Poll  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What races we want to see in the game?

• I prefer traditional Tolkien style races ( elf, orc, dwarf)
    • No I hate traditional races, come up with something new please!
    • Traditional races with a twist (cannibal elfs, for example)

I don't hate traditional races, but I would like to see more creativity.

• Like 8
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't "hate" them either, but would rather Obsidian use something new. Given my druthers.

I'd actually most rather have Obsidian do what they are already planning to do, and give my opinions mostly when they directly ask the community about X, Y or Z.

I think the problem with fantasy races is that while humans have varied cultures/values/languages etc. non-humans are homogenous. Seen one dwarf, seen them all. There's no reason that things have to be that way. Even if most of a given race behaves according to the 'traditional' cliches, why not have rogue individuals/communities/nations that defy the norm? This doesn't have to rise to the level of drow=anti-elves where everything is exactly the opposite, just enough to know that free will does indeed exist for these people.

PS If for some reason free will does not exist (mind control, slavery or some such) then please disregard :)

• Like 2

I voted for traditional Tolkien races, games like Witcher have proven they can still be interesting and since this is a new fantasy setting Obsidian can be creative with there implementation and lore.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

god, where comes all this hate from? it doesn't help if you repaint them, give them 3 legs and no arms, green skin and call them misfits as long as they are filling the roles of those generic races - tree lovers, tunnel diggers, evil basterds, long lost and now revived, most intelligent creators of the universe, etc. i am perfectly fine with calling them elves and dwarfs if their culture is surprising and new to explore. the background and lore makes a race feeling generic and not their pointy ears or how they're called.

Edited by Semper

How many more polls are you going to make just because you hate elves? :dancing: In the other poll we have already stated, that we like elves and dwarves, but we do not want a 1:1 copy of Tolkien's version... obviously. This is not a Lord of the Rings game! lol ^^

So, dwarves and elves are from Germanic mythology. While Tolkien might have made these mythical creatures popular, high fantasy games DO NOT copy Tolkiens version of them 1 to 1. Most games base their dwarves and elves upon original Germanic mythology, but also take inspiration from other sources, including Tolkien. A good exmaple are the elves in D&D FR: You have sun elfs, wood elfs, moon elfs, drow, and wild elfs which is very original and interesting!

Edited by dlux
  • Like 2

:closed:

How many more polls are you going to make just because you hate elves? :dancing: In the other poll we have already stated, that we like elves and dwarves, but we do not want a 1:1 copy of Tolkien's version... obviously. This is not a Lord of the Rings game! lol ^^

So, dwarves and elves are from Germanic mythology. While Tolkien might have made these mythical creatures popular, high fantasy games DO NOT copy Tolkiens version of them 1 to 1. Most games base their dwarves and elves upon original Germanic mythology, but also take inspiration from other sources, including Tolkien. A good exmaple are the elves in D&D FR: You have sun elfs, wood elfs, moon elfs, drow, and wild elfs which is very original and interesting!

I don't have elves man, I actually prefer the traditional races over something different(whatever that is), because many people already have a connection with those races, and I believe just because they are traditional that doesn't mean the history is going to be boring, it all depends on who is writing it.

Take humans and real life for example, the vast majority of books written by humans are about humans, but you don't see people whining that they are tired of seeing books about humans, there are just good authors that make good books about humans and, boring authors that make the humans subject not interesting.

• Like 1

I think you need something that people can relate to and as such I dont like the idea of just giving up on the established races.

On the other hand, it can be a bit boring so I think a mix or twist would be the ideal way.

Obsidian has a great opportunity to break new ground. I would even have preferred the map not show European flavored names. Strike out for new territory. Base the mythos not on European lore that we've plumbed the depths of, but Aztec, or Persian, or Abyssian, or something else entirely.

I chose option #2, but ultimately, #3 would also be fine, because at a certain point, elves are not elves just because they have pointy ears.

"New" races doesn't have to be terribly unique, but I would definitely prefer new races - or even better, actual races and not just species nicknamed "races". That is, humans. Different humans. With different proficiencies, cultures and features.

Throw out all the fantasy "races" and give us some actual races, with magic/divinity involved or not, doesn't matter to me, but I would rather have Aasimar, Tieflings and Genasi as "fantastical" variations of humans, than Elves, Dwarves and Orcs.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Troll is gonna troll when he doesn't get it. lol

Forgotten Realms is the opposite of originality in fantasy RPG settings. (For originality see things like Planescape and the creation of Exalted, possibly Talislanta though I never really got into it). The dozen different flavours of elf in Fearun are not original; there were several different types of elves in tolkien to: Noldor, Sindar etc., and with the exception of the Drow they are pretty much completely unnecessary.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

TBH I won't mind if they will resemble DnD races...

Sure that some twists to the characteristic would be fun, but it is not a must... I would certainly love to see some politics, racism etc. involved at some regions, races...

The Witcher had an interesting concept to some of the races.

As long as there is an interesting lore, history and politics, it can be anything...

• Like 1

I'm fine with traditional fantasy races, but FFS do something original. Unlike Biowares boring supervised Tolkien playground setting. Stir some stuff up and do something different. I know you have the creativity Obsidian.

Edited by Jaesun

Normally i prefer the traditional races, but in this case I would leave it entirely up to Obsidian, since their creative heads surely have the big picture forming in their minds. Before all it has to fit into the world. Humans would be nice. :no:

Edited by Elfwyn

Troll is gonna troll when he doesn't get it. lol

Forgotten Realms is the opposite of originality in fantasy RPG settings. (For originality see things like Planescape and the creation of Exalted, possibly Talislanta though I never really got into it). The dozen different flavours of elf in Fearun are not original; there were several different types of elves in tolkien to: Noldor, Sindar etc., and with the exception of the Drow they are pretty much completely unnecessary.

Like I said, you don't get it.

FR took the mythological creatures that we know and love and spiced them up very originally. Of course, FR also has other completely original creatures.

:closed: