So I'm sure many people are wondering this...

Will we finally be able to cast 'a spell that teleports an opponent?s scrotum into his stomach to get digested'?

Or, more importantly, will I finally be able to teleport an opponent's scrotum into someone else's stomach? If it actually made it into Planescape Torment, I somehow missed it...

As a wider discussion, does anyone want to see any weird and wonderful spells/items in Eternity? If so, what sort of thing? I'm personally up form ever bit of humor they can get into the game, in whatever insane for it takes.

Edited by General_Disarray
  • Like 1

does anyone want to see any weird and wonderful spells/items in Eternity?

I prefer weird in its pure and undistilled form. Strangling opponents with their own hair (or shadow). Conjuring giant, blind albino eels which float in the air, and terrorize opponents with their deafening shrieks. Reanimating a corpse of an enemy as a gaunt, pale monstrosity which weeps blood constantly, and tries to protect party members by throwing itself between them and enemy attacks. That sort of thing.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'd like a fairly low-level spell that causes unusually hideous death animations when cast on a certain creature. As my party of evil mercenary scumbags thunder through the crap-scented villages, torching hovels and generally being EVAL, we can cast it on hapless peasants.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I prefer weird in its pure and undistilled form. Strangling opponents with their own hair (or shadow). Conjuring giant, blind albino eels which float in the air, and terrorize opponents with their deafening shrieks. Reanimating a corpse of an enemy as a gaunt, pale monstrosity which weeps blood constantly, and tries to protect party members by throwing itself between them and enemy attacks. That sort of thing.

I'd vote for the eels. Definitely the eels. I like the idea of an enemy that gets in the way of your attacks too, actually. Not just from a weird standpoint but from a battle dynamic. Like if they were on the enemy side. Maybe even that you can't damage them if you attack directly (within reason, or we could end up with a broken encounter). But as your own spell it's quite cool too. Quite horrific.

A personal favorite of mine was from Persona 4. One of the party members (Chie) only attacks with kicks. When an enemy is 'stunned' she can kick them into orbit (complete with smash bros-esque star). Always makes me laugh.

I LOVE that move. I laugh as well, and I love how it's not just a cool move, but perfectly in-character by the fact it's pure over-kill.

I'd like a fairly low-level spell that causes unusually hideous death animations when cast on a certain creature. As my party of evil mercenary scumbags thunder through the crap-scented villages, torching hovels and generally being EVAL, we can cast it on hapless peasants.

See, that would be the perfect time to make someone eat their own scrotum!

Edited by General_Disarray

Conjuring giant, blind albino eels which float in the air, and terrorize opponents with their deafening shrieks.

Do you know what that sound is, highness? Those are the shrieking eels. If you don't believe me, just wait. They always grow louder when they're about the feed on human flesh.

My only problem with the really weird spells in in their capacity to change the theme of the game. It doesn't matter if the big bad boss killed your parents, wife, and kids, if you kill him by turning his head into an umbrella the game ends up goofy.

Conjuring giant, blind albino eels which float in the air, and terrorize opponents with their deafening shrieks.

Do you know what that sound is, highness? Those are the shrieking eels. If you don't believe me, just wait. They always grow louder when they're about the feed on human flesh.

My only problem with the really weird spells in in their capacity to change the theme of the game. It doesn't matter if the big bad boss killed your parents, wife, and kids, if you kill him by turning his head into an umbrella the game ends up goofy.

Weird doesn't necessarily mean absurd or silly, if it's presented in the right way. Although I actually did chuckle reading your post :)

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'd like to have the vile Fallout 2 flavor text. I remember reading about someone's eyeballs being shot out of their skull, or people turning yellow from being kicked in the liver (I might be making both of these up, but they were of similar ilk. Now translate this to spells affecting someone's groin, and you're as unable to eat while playing PE as you were in 1999.

I always had a weird fascination with polymorph spells. Truly, a fate worse than death.

Cool idea for a story too.

"You discover a sheep wondering through the countryside, obviously it had escaped from it's pen in the nearby farmlands. As you approach you are shocked when the beast speaks to you in human tongues!"

etc...

The horrific event you witness that gets everything started is your own discovery of your ability to make people consume their own scrotums. The act of which has created an army of scrotumless individuals to ban together and seek your doom. You must make your way away from them while trying to discover why you have such a power, and pondering why an army of scrotumless individuals still has the testosterone driven strength to hunt you so verociously...

Anywho, I welcome weird as long as it is balanced. Game breaking weird is just too annoying.

Even better: you didn't actually develop the ability, it's just something that's happening around you and you have no idea why. Of course, everyone pretty much hates you for it.

(I mean, making people eat their own scrotum is pretty mean. Don't force that backstory on my character. ;) )