Why are resources being spent on a Linux version?

I don't think that the OP's point is valid at all. Since, as was already mentioned here, judging from Humble Bundle results, Linux users' pledges form something like a quarter of total pledges, the amount of money gained from Linux users will by far surpass the porting costs.

So, in fact, everybody should be happy with Linux being supported, since resources are not lost on it, but instead gained. Which will allow to make a better game for Windows users as well.

Edited by jerf

In fact, if the game is designed to be multiplatform from start - and it's always a good thing to decouple unnecesary dependencies - the cost of releasing it on another platfom is minimal. If Obsidian plans to port graphics engine from Direct3D to OpenGL - now that would be a lot of work. But if it's already written in OpenGL, the only thing necessary for porting is to compile source code to target platfom and write scripts dealing with platform-specific things, i.e. filesystem layout. And there are libraries for that, most popular being SDL.

Used Windows primarily all my life, and I'm too lazy/stupid (dangerous combination, I know) to switch to Linux. That said, I don't mind seeing a Linux version. Based on past Kickstarters I've participated in (totally not scientific), Linux users are a considerable base, both in numbers and cash (and rather vocal). Certainly they're probably not as big as Windows/Mac users, but I think they're great additions to the community.

(Who knows, maybe some day I'll finally be able to ditch my conditioning with Windows.)

I have a PC and a Mac. I use the PC only a gaming rig with gamin hardware. The Mac hardware doesn't allow me to run high end games.

If i can play decently on Linux on a strong hardware PC i've put together and stop using windows i'd be VERY happy. The less I have to use windows, the better, I'd have gone full linux a long time ago if it were not for games...

Also if a Mac OS version is planned, the Linux version won't be much different as Mac OS is already very close to Linux since it's UNIX based... So I don't think much ressources will be spent on it as most of the work will be done for the Mac OS version.

Edited by Poolp

Basically, if there's already a Mac-Port and it's done right, a port to linux is not much additional work. Both systems use OpenGL for accelerated graphics, and for audio and user input there are several libraries available that work on both systems. Expensive is only the port from Windows to *anything that is not Windows or the Xbox*. There are plenty of Mac users out there, so that it is definitely worth porting to Mac. Now I ask you: If a Linux port with low additional costs is possible, why should a game company not do it?

Edit: Now I've done it. My first post in this forum and already an answer to a trolling-thread. At least, I can give the threadstarter what he deserves: <°)))><

Edited by soulsource
  • Like 1

Crystalmancer of the Obsidian Order

I am totally happy they are supporting Linux, and I have never used the OS. The primary reason I have never delved into Linux is the fact that there aren't any games. Gaming is honestly 80% of what I use my home PC for, so XP works just fine atm. Sure I could use wine, but it just seems like another thing that can go wrong. With win8 on the horizon, I am actually taking more interest in what Linux has to offer; if developers/publishers start making more Linux games, it makes my choice that much easier.

• Like 1

Multiplatform releases make marginal platforms like Linux more competitive in the market. I can only see that as a good thing when it comes straight down to it.

So I support a Linux release, even if I myself don't use the OS.

• Like 1

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

i think a linux port is gonna happen 99%. it's aimed at 2,2 mil threshold and i think we will close at 3 mil.

Edited by molarBear

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I think post-Gates Microsoft is a train wreck and I would like to avoid Windows as much as possible, but I'm a little concerned that Obsidian had to go with Unity solely due to the difficulties porting Onyx to Linux and OSX. Onyx seems like a more capable engine that might result in better graphics than Unity. So as much as I would like to be able to play games on Linux lower graphics quality is a pretty steep price to pay. It's a done deal now, but I'm not sure it was worth it. It would have been nice to have at least somewhat better graphics than the Infinity Engine. With Unity the graphics may actually be worse.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I think post-Gates Microsoft is a train wreck and I would like to avoid Windows as much as possible, but I'm a little concerned that Obsidian had to go with Unity solely due to the difficulties porting Onyx to Linux and OSX. Onyx seems like a more capable engine that might result in better graphics than Unity. So as much as I would like to be able to play games on Linux lower graphics quality is a pretty steep price to pay. It's a done deal now, but I'm not sure it was worth it. It would have been nice to have at least somewhat better graphics than the Infinity Engine. With Unity the graphics may actually be worse.

Well they announced they have engine ready before announcing Linux/OSX versions, so I don't think it's the case. But a compromise could have been (of course it's irrelevant now) to just modify Onyx where necessary for it to play nicely with Wine, the open source impletmentation of Windows and DirectX APIs.

For example, Linux version of EVE Online client works this way.

It's great to read about all the support for Linux in this thread from Obsid fans!

Linux for the win. OP is just being selfish. Linux fans pay more, are more vocal, and more likely to develop mods for the game that prolong its lifespan. Catering to us a bit pays off.

• Like 1

... I'm a little concerned that Obsidian had to go with Unity solely due to the difficulties porting Onyx to Linux and OSX.

Chris Avellone has twitted that onyx had not been chosen because of the cost of the middleware.

If I remember correctly Feargus Urquhart has also mentioned a working engine prototype in day 1 gamebanshee interview, so it is safe to assume, as reddie has, that unity had been the choice before the kickstarter opened.

With Unity the graphics may actually be worse.

where have people took to this notion, that adequete looks can't be achieved with unity (and i mean adequete for whatever high standard one expects from this game)?

are You actually saying, that a twelve years old engine is capable of producing better graphics than a newely developed one? :blink: ?

I've seen this argument a number of times in Kickstarter campaigns: Why use resources to support Linux? Well when you add the numbers up it's no-brainer:

1. There approximately 7 billion computer users in the world. Out of which from 10% to 1% (depending on the source) use Linux. If we take the average 5% that means 35 million Linux users in the world. Why not spend resources for these 35 million potential users?

2. Kickstarter relies on the community, word of mouth etc. There is no bigger, more tight, active and vocal community (in the tech related world at least) than the Linux community. And they (we!) are hungry for games.

3. Linux users have proven time and time again that they want games and put there money where their mouth is. Good example is the Indie Humble Bundle where Linux buyers are as numerous as the Mac buyers and all the time on average pay twice as much as the Windows and Mac users.

I think that these three points easily justify the creation of a Linux version of the game. For independent developer the Linux users might be even 25% users. Data shows that more developers see it this way and partly that's why Linux has been receiving more gaming love recently.

I assure you that thanks to these supporters you will get even more content. So yes, it's win-win-win deal.

Edited by leshy
  • Like 4

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

www.cherrytreestudio.eu

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

Red Mage, Episode 835: Refining Moment