Why are resources being spent on a Linux version?

I have to say, it seems rather greedy to me that you'd rather this segment of the userbase have no access so you can get more content. I'm all for a Linux port, and I'm a set-in-my-ways Windows user. The more people that have access to the game, the better it will do...which means more opportunities for future expansion.

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melodlic/Doom Metal

I belive Obsidian is using their in-house Onyx engine, previously used for Dungeon Siege 3.

Not so. From Chris Avellone:

‏@ChrisAvellone

@Ibrzu No, we will not. We like the Onyx engine, but it'll likely be too expensive considering the middleware attachments.

5:10 PM - 17 Sep 12 ·

https://twitter.com/...804807514054656

Edited by Sinistas

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melodlic/Doom Metal

the actual porting to linux itself while still a bit of work falls into nothing compared to the developement of the entire game, the only real holdback is the choice of engines to use for the game. If obsidian is going to make their own engine, yes its going to be quite a bit more work.

there are quite a few engines supporting linux sure not every engine so no unreal engine or cryengine but still quite a few engines. There are actually linux compatible versions of those engines as well but they are not being released.

no cryengine 4?

;(

If it's not Onyx, perhaps the Unity engine, like Wasteland 2? Given that Obsidian and inXile are cooperating already on WL2, which is being ported to Mac and Linux too, it might be cheaper for them to share some tech and assets.

Edited by Ausir

If more games supported in Linux I would totally use it. Microsoft is a group of complete a$$hats. They don't came about PC gaming at all (Games for Windows Live FML). They would rather you play it XBOX so they can get a cut. With Win 8 it is getting even worse with their retarded store and "Metro" UI. Having a second completely free option is awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if more companies don't start exploring Linux versions.

i use linux and i would really like to see the linux port of this game. that's why i like kickstarter and the projects i supported (wasteland2 & df adventure) all have a linux port. it's about damn time we get to see games running on linux natively.

one can always install linux if need be but not windows or mac os (assuming that you don't pirate)

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

Same here. I've been using Windows all my life but I do want to have an alternative because I'm not liking where Microsoft is taking Windows with Windows 8. If future Windows no longer suits my needs, I would want to be able to switch to Linux fully without the hassle of dual booting or virtual PC.

I was a reluctant convert to Windows. I preferred DOS, and then when DOS was no longer adequate I tended to use OS/2 to emulate Windows rather than actually install Windows.

I didn't run Windows until Windows 98.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

I've been using Windows all my post-DOS life, but with 8 I'm seriously considering a switch to Linux. Having this to go with me would be a great thing.

So yes, Linux port, please!

Edited by Monkcrab

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

There's a lot here I'd agree with. I'd much rather be running a Linux system and, whily I'm not currently, I have nothing but support for those that do. In that vein I have nothing but support for any stretch goal that enables a linux version. I hope it's reached for the sake of those that prefer to use Linux. That's why it's a stretch goal and not a part of the base.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I'm a Linux user, I kickstarted the game and I'd like to post a few reasons why I think a Linux port is a good idea.

#1 - It's fairly selfish to ask for a retraction of the goal since its likely lead to additional people funding the project in the first place.

#2 - I can't really tell you how much those Linux users have spent, but I can't tell you it doesn't require $1m to port a Windows games to Linux. Its probably less than a 10th of that.

#3 - Building a multiplatform game is less about direct funding and more about making good decisions. For example, abtracting code where you need to and using libraries that are portable (such as SDL + OpenGL vs DirectX)

#4 - The majority of this work will need to be done any way to support the Mac platform and any other platforms for that matter.

#5 - The more platforms your code compiles and works on, the more robust the shared code will be. Since, historically, Obsidian is knonw for releasing buggy games (I know, publishers fault, etc) being portable should help largely combat that issue.

#6 - Valve has began pushing Linux to be a competitive platform to Windows. This might fail, but if it doesn't, it seems silly not to have your game ready. By the time they're spending real money fixing up the Linix version, we'll know the impact of the platform.

#7 - If they give you the game for Win7/8, theres no guarantee it will work on Win9. On the other hand, it'll probably work on Linux for a very long time given the Linuxs kernel policy of not breaking stuff that works.

#8 - The same people who code the engine won't be the same people making the content (probably?), thus its unlikely it'd really affect the outcome beyond making a couple of smart choices and then paying someones salary for a few weeks / months.

I'm not going to get into a holy way on why either OS is better than the other, it doesn't really matter. Honestly though, I'm a huge Black Isle/Obsidian fan, and if I though it'd somehow make it a lesser game, I'd be on your side. I just don't think thats a reality though.

Edited by ownagefool
  • Like 1

Um, personally I would actually give the Linux version precedence over the Mac one! But I can't see the problem here, this is one of those things that should be the standard simply as a matter of respect to the playerbase. I understand Publishers ignoring Linux/Mac in their quest for min-maxing profits and generally being evil, but a KS project? No, sir.

EDIT: it's also interesting (and I'm not saying this is statistically significant) but in IndieGala or HumbleBundle - lookee here - the Linux (and Mac) users CONSISTENTLY pay a higher average than Win users.

Edited by Tychoxi

This is a basic issue of accessibility, same with localisation. Increased accessibility automatically opens markets and future sales, which is a good for the developer and for the consumers who want access; there are only two risks with accessibility--return on investment and meeting federal mandates. The latter doesn't apply here, and the former is implicitly addressed by the devs themselves in stretch goals, meaning they should have already done the math to show additional OS support is feasible and will not require any concessions in slated single-player content. So the OP is moot, from my POV.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm a Linux user, I kickstarted the game and I'd like to post a few reasons why I think a Linux port is a good idea.

#1 - It's fairly selfish to ask for a retraction of the goal since its likely lead to additional people funding the project in the first place.

#2 - I can't really tell you how much those Linux users have spent, but I can't tell you it doesn't require $1m to port a Windows games to Linux. Its probably less than a 10th of that.

#3 - Building a multiplatform game is less about direct funding and more about making good decisions. For example, abtracting code where you need to and using libraries that are portable (such as SDL + OpenGL vs DirectX)

#4 - The majority of this work will need to be done any way to support the Mac platform and any other platforms for that matter.

#5 - The more platforms your code compiles and works on, the more robust the shared code will be. Since, historically, Obsidian is knonw for releasing buggy games (I know, publishers fault, etc) being portable should help largely combat that issue.

#6 - Valve has began pushing Linux to be a competitive platform to Windows. This might fail, but if it doesn't, it seems silly not to have your game ready. By the time they're spending real money fixing up the Linix version, we'll know the impact of the platform.

#7 - If they give you the game for Win7/8, theres no guarantee it will work on Win9. On the other hand, it'll probably work on Linux for a very long time given the Linuxs kernel policy of not breaking stuff that works.

#8 - The same people who code the engine won't be the same people making the content (probably?), thus its unlikely it'd really affect the outcome beyond making a couple of smart choices and then paying someones salary for a few weeks / months.

I'm not going to get into a holy way on why either OS is better than the other, it doesn't really matter. Honestly though, I'm a huge Black Isle/Obsidian fan, and if I though it'd somehow make it a lesser game, I'd be on your side. I just don't think thats a reality though.

you've brought up good points. especially #4. we know for sure that there will be a mac os port so that means they have to use openGL. this was actually the "hardest" decision part anyways. as d3d does not work anywhere but windows. after this point a linux port is less painful. "just" need to "adjust" it to use libraries that linux has (this is not some library chaos as many people think because of many distros).

also #7 is a good point regarding backwards compatibility. linux (the kernel) is always backwards compatible (i.e. older libs will run, too). people running win7 cannot even run quite many winxp games properly (or some games not at all!). and that's only one version difference in windows. may god help them when win8 comes along (and if they use it)

i mean, linux is clearly a better platform for games but...the better/best sadly doesn't always work in this world.

Edited by molarBear

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I'm a Linux user and I've hopped on to a Kickstarter here and there once Linux support seems clearly within reach. :)

You won't get my money not supporting it and I pay more than average.

For the random record, I had original BG II for Mac of all things, and now I've got nearly every Infinity Engine game off GOG because they run great in Wine, or GemRB, usually, except that it's usually more of a hassle than wine.

Personally, I think Linux support can be key for a good Kickstarter, but I'm biased... :biggrin:

But after all that... the original reason I was going to post in this thread...

I do not own a Windows box.

I'll say it again:

I do not own a Windows box.

All the games I play, I play on Linux.

So for whatever that's worth...