Why are resources being spent on a Linux version?

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game.

Please, I beg of You, read the stuff You are commenting on, not to mention opening a new topic for.

The goal for $2,2M is:

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!

I'd say You haven't read the w hole thing 'till the end, but the massive content upgrade is mentioned before the linux support, so I have no idea how that could've happened.

No need to beg, I did indeed read the stuff I'm commenting on. The fact that there are other aspects coming with the update is irrelevant to the subject. Resources are still being dedicated to a Linux port that could be spent on even more game content.

as for

I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Disregarding the asumptions in there, I invite You to answer - to Yourself - these three questions: Why is the following dedicated, why is it small, and do linux users want to run windows for theire games?

I'm sure Linux has its advantages when it comes to programming or whatnot but why on earth anyone would really care about what OS they're running while gaming is really beyond me. How can staring at the homescreen of one OS vs another for the 2 minutes or so that it takes your computer to load up and shut down possibly affect your gaming experience in any way?

The fact that Linux costs absolutely nothing plays a pretty big role in that. I'd rather just use Linux all the time and never have to pay for an OS again, than have to run Windows along with Linux and switch between the two when i do and don't want to play video games.

Plus, there are a lot of background things that go along with your computer running an operating system. Linux doesn't take as many resources to run as windows does, and it takes less hard drive space on top of that. So its a little bit more than a background for 2 minutes.

• Like 1

I'm sure Linux has its advantages when it comes to programming or whatnot but why on earth anyone would really care about what OS they're running while gaming is really beyond me. How can staring at the homescreen of one OS vs another for the 2 minutes or so that it takes your computer to load up and shut down possibly affect your gaming experience in any way?

Damn! I never thought of that! You are right! So it is settled then? Shall we go for a Linux only game? After all, it is free (and it is free), and you can install it on any computer, so it shouldn't make any difference to you. ;)

• Like 4

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game.

Please, I beg of You, read the stuff You are commenting on, not to mention opening a new topic for.

The goal for $2,2M is:

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!

I'd say You haven't read the w hole thing 'till the end, but the massive content upgrade is mentioned before the linux support, so I have no idea how that could've happened.

No need to beg, I did indeed read the stuff I'm commenting on. The fact that there are other aspects coming with the update is irrelevant to the subject. Resources are still being dedicated to a Linux port that could be spent on even more game content.

as for

I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Disregarding the asumptions in there, I invite You to answer - to Yourself - these three questions: Why is the following dedicated, why is it small, and do linux users want to run windows for theire games?

Because we don't wanna pay for a crappy OS? Because we don't want to give more money to a company that sells watching software to dictatorship? There are a lot of reason and I'm sure every linux user has its own. But like a lot of people here, the day linux port become common for games, I'll stop using both OS.

I'd have switched to Linux a long time ago if I wasn't a gamer. Can't be against that strech goal even if it wouldn't make me a Linux user.

Same here.

I'm definitely hoping that one day before too long Linux will become a platform that's highly supported by the gaming industry, especially with the direction Microsuck seems to be going in. And as a general consumer, having more O/S options in general would be great.

So I have no issue with making other O/S support part of the stretch goals at all.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Damn! I never thought of that! You are right! So it is settled then? Shall we go for a Linux only game? After all, it is free (and it is free), and you can install it on any computer, so it shouldn't make any difference to you. ;)

Not much to add here.

Here You go dan107. 3 mouse clicks and You're all set.

Please, don't forget to up Your pledge for the amount saved on the next Windows iteration.

Edit:

In light of this new bit of information I'd be baffled if the chosen engine - be it house written or adopted - wouldn't support different platforms.

Edited by sesobebo

Ill admit, changing from a dilapidated, pirated windows xp to a genuine retail of windows 7 home was a big jump. For now im pretty content with the very stable os that is windows 7. But if there was wider support for apps and particularly games i wouldnt hesitate in trying linux.

The Linux community love to fund projects that include Linux support. Having a stretch goal that includes Linux support goes a long way to increasing their potential early funding which is pretty critical. Additionally, Linux support is actually fairly cheap depending on what engine they decide to go with.

I still use Windows XP (mostly x64 though) and I won't be upgrading to 7 until a game that I like absolutely requires it and then I will still only use it for the few games that require it. I will hopefully never have to upgrade to Windows8 or 9 or whatever stupidity Steve Ballmer comes up with next. I refuse to buy an overpriced touchscreen just to use the latest Ballmer OS. Linux is all about being free from arbitrary corporate decisions where the only thing that matters is the bottom line and any minority group is simply ignored. Think Windows 8 is stupid? I think they've only just begun with such things.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I think the OP has a valid point, given the relative user base of Linux, and the fact that we want as much content as humanly possible. However, as a recent Linux convert, and observing the linux support and new gaming platform being planned by Valve, I think this is a good move. I have to say that although I've worked in IT, I'm not a very enthusiastic geek - I like to spend as little time screwing around with drivers and config files as possible, so in the past Linux always seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I have to say though, that the latest version of Ubuntu is about the easiest and cleanest OS I have ever used, and I won't be going back. The cost of Windows and it's upgrades is hardly an insignificant consideration.

It honestly wouldn't. Problem with that is that the vast majority of people that use computers have and are comfortable using Windows, so that's the default choice. My whole point is just design the game for the most common OS and call it a day. Obsidian isn't about to dislodge Microsoft with essentially an indie game, which is what most of the people supporting a Linux version seem to want.

I don't see why anybody would have anything against a Linux version. I've used Linux in the past but wasn't a massive fan of it, but as a Mac user (as well as a Windows PC) I'm all in favour of games reaching as many OS as possible. How can it be considered a bad thing for the game to be accessible to more people?

Dan, as far as inflammatory posts goes, yours are very polite, thank you for that. But, really, do you expect any Linux user to agree with you?

My whole point is just design the game for the most common OS and call it a day.

Yes, that is your whole point. I could answer "just design the game for the freer/cheaper/better OS and call it a day." The only difference is that I would be pissing off the majority instead of a minority. OK, you expect us to surrender to your wisdom, I even understand your arguments, it so happens that I have other priorities.

Obsidian isn't about to dislodge Microsoft with essentially an indie game, which is what most of the people supporting a Linux version seem to want.
. Hum, no, I'd really like to see Linuxes overtake Windows, but I don't think it will take Eternity for it to happen.

I want to play this game on the OS I use everyday. I even have practical reasons for that: Debian is on a ssd, while Windows is on an old drive. I might want to keep some stuff open while playing, like for instance the servers that run on my box. If moding is possible, I would very much like to be able to do it on Linux, with a suitable environment. Also, I don't like to reboot.

And yes I feel that every piece of software that comes to Linux is a victory for the good guys. Unless it comes with a DRM :banghead:

Relax, depending on the choice of the engine a Linux version can be a relatively simple thing, Obsidian wouldn't have put it in the stretch goals if they thought it was impractical. Plus, they think (with solid evidence) that it will bring more funding to the project, so why aren't you be happy: the Linux version will bring more content for you.

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game. Now is that really the best use of resources? I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Better question is why money is being spent on Linux version if all steam games will be on Linux?

Edited by l3loodangel

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game. Now is that really the best use of resources? I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Better question is why money is being spent on Linux version if all steam games will be on Linux?

It doesn't work that way, all games that will be available through Steam on Linux/Mac OS X will have to be ported. Now that porting will be more or less work depending on the game in question.

Steam is just a platform.

Um

It doesn't work that way, all games that will be available through Steam on Linux/Mac OS X will have to be ported. Now that porting will be more or less work depending on the game in question.

All games from steam will be ported and PE is on steam, so it will be on Linux and Mac.

PE=Steam=Linux

Where does this break down?

How about changing this 'I don't use this, so I don't think it should be in the game' thing instead.

Personally I don't use Linux, but know other people do, so I'm glad that Obsidian has announced Linux as a stretch goal for them.

All games from steam will be ported and PE is on steam, so it will be on Linux and Mac.

PE=Steam=Linux

If you look at steam`s Mac games section you can see that not every Windows game is there. Only ones that were ported to Mac. The same is right for Linux.

Ontopic: I`m using linux every day and this thread is offensive:)

PE=Steam=Linux

Valve will port only steam client and its own games to linux. If other developers want their game to be ported on linux they must do that themselves or pay to someone else to do it.

the actual porting to linux itself while still a bit of work falls into nothing compared to the developement of the entire game, the only real holdback is the choice of engines to use for the game. If obsidian is going to make their own engine, yes its going to be quite a bit more work.

there are quite a few engines supporting linux sure not every engine so no unreal engine or cryengine but still quite a few engines. There are actually linux compatible versions of those engines as well but they are not being released.

Edited by qlum