Stretch goal suggestion... mod support?

I've seen you guys comment publicly before on how impressed you are with TSL, and other community efforts for KOTOR 2. Not having a [expletive deleted] publisher gnawing at you should ensure we don't need a TSL equivalent for this title, but I can't help but think that a mod support system, for instance like Bethesda supply, would massively enhance the longevity of this game.

I know you guys must be getting loads of suggestions, so I thought I would just respectfully put this thought out there, and see whether there's broad support for such a measure as part of a stretch goal.

Anyway, in the meantime, is there any chance of getting this forum tapatalk enabled?

Love your work.

//piethief

Edited by piethief100

I would love this, but don't spend too much time trying to make it work. If they can't get it to work the way they want to release it with the initial game, then maybe they can just release it in the future. I don't want them holding the game because they can't get mods working(Although they shouldn't have a problem doing mods).

Mod support and localization (EFIGS) is a must.

A stretch goal for mod support should be rather high, over 3 million imo.

One of the reasons I tried to be quite restrained in my request, is that I have absolutely no idea what resources would have to be devoted to this project for mod support to come in. I really hope it's a feasible request though.

There won't be need for mod support ;)

I'm hoping too that there won't be a need for mod support, but mods can do so much more than plugs the gaps on an unfinished project. One of the inviolable rules of the internet is that a game's first mod is a nude mod, but there's so much more scope.

For instance, using the Skyrim example yet again, player houses, companions, new towns, new dungeons, texture packs and creature packs are just a few of the many areas that have been modded. Take a look, here.

Edited by piethief100

As I've mentioned in another thread, it comes down to what development tools are being used to make the game. If they are licensed from a third party mod tools are impossible, no matter how much money is raised.

NWN was created using Bioware's own engine: modding easy

ME series used the Unreal3 engine: modding difficult and limited.

Has it been announced if the engine/tools will be entirely in-house or not?

I'm hoping too that there won't be a need for mod support, but mods can do so much more than plugs the gaps on an unfinished project. One of the inviolable rules of the internet is that a game's first mod is a nude mod, but there's so much more scope.

For instance, using the Skyrim example yet again, player houses, companions, new towns, new dungeons, texture packs and creature packs are just a few of the many areas that have been modded. Take a look, here.

This isn't going to be an elder scrolls game with infinite quests, WAIFUS and all that...

check out games like PST, only mods for it, are Widescreen mods, and some that fix some stuff

This isn't going to be an elder scrolls game with infinite quests, WAIFUS and all that...

check out games like PST, only mods for it, are Widescreen mods, and some that fix some stuff

I do realise this isn't going to be an open world game on the scale of an Elder Scrolls title, but doesn't the fact that games like PST only have widescreen mods available for them, actually support the idea that we should be requesting mod support at this early stage?

If they support the Mods, won't that just antagonize the Rockers?

I kid, I kid.

I think one concern would be whether it could affect the devlopment cycle of the game or not.

Heh, maybe they can do a seperate kickstarter to fund mod tools after the game is done. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I've mentioned in another thread, it comes down to what development tools are being used to make the game. If they are licensed from a third party mod tools are impossible, no matter how much money is raised.

NWN was created using Bioware's own engine: modding easy

Has it been announced if the engine/tools will be entirely in-house or not?

I don't believe it has been announced, but I would expect Obsidian to use their own Onyx engine.

I would love to see this. If they made it simple to add in custom portraits, character models, maps additions, item additions, etc. it would make a lot of fans very happy including me. Tools that simplify setting up trigger points and dialog trees would be very nice. Plus if they make these tools internally for their designers and make them to be very easy to learn and use it would be good for them and the mod community.

yeah, because that explains why the unreal development kit is free to download and easy to access, not to speak about what and where the limits are. of course if you've never used any similar tools everything seems to be a cluster**** and way too complex to handle. if the tools are shipped with at least a few pages explaining the basics and after some hours of training everybody can dive into modding.

and yeah, +1 for such tools!