For devs - bad communication is hurting the project

This game was announced Friday. Then came the weekend. We have had three updates already. The devs need time to do their planning, now that hte base funding has been pledged, the first stretch goal pledged and we are well on our way to the second stretch goal they can get down to exactly what they can and cannot do. Hire the people they will need to work on this project.

We can help by spreading the word. I have posted it on my FaceBook page, on Google+ and other sites where I am active. I know that at least a few people have pledged because of this. Tell you friends, family and anyone you can reach about the project. I found out about the project because someone posted about it on a site I frequent. If you know how to get it advertised in game publications do that.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I have to ask myself where people like the OP live, or what they do for a living. As I write this, it is not quite 7am on a Monday morning in California where the devs live. The game was announced on a Friday, and no one could have anticipated the amazing response we have witnessed. The devs scrambled on Saturday to come up with some stretch plans, and you still expect more? C'mon people, they are human; they have families, they have things outside of work, do you expect then to work 24/7 and never have a "weekend"? Either you have never worked a day in your life, so weekends don't really mean much, or you are living on another planet...it's a game not a life saving procedure.

California--Weekend--Game just announced---give me a frikken break....

Okay, now get to work you guys. :ban:

I agree, I get the feeling sometimes that people writing comments (or providing feedback) in today's globally connected world forget while you are awake, the other side of the planet is asleep! Only companies at a global scale (read: large) can afford follow-the-sun operations; paying for staff to be in call-centres / providing feedback 24/7. Perhaps the internet, and its breaking down of communication barriers (making the world appear smaller) has in turn created an expectation of instant gratification and instant reply. This is probably Obsidian's first foray into crowd sourced funding, and the first time they've really had a direct connection (via funding as it happens) with their fan base. I am sure the communication will improve as they work though their surprise success. I am of the opinion if people are quick to judge this early in the piece and decide to not back, it is their loss, not Obsidians. I certainly wouldn't want people like that as a customer.

• Like 1

Looking forward to more forum participation too. Taking part in the discussions instead of just lurking would go a long way to easing peoples opinions of lack of communication.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, the communication has been pretty swell. We have quite a lot of info for a game that was only announced 3-4 days ago.

The people I have met Online from Australia and New Zealand always seem to have good common sense. Maybe because it is already tomorrow there? :yes:

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

We are working on getting out information about the game, and Josh's update today is a good idea of what's to come in further updates. The support we received caught us off guard!

Thanks for the comment - but you guys are doing just fine! Don't worry about it! Keep on doing the great job you are doing!

• Like 3

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the developers to give more details. They didn't just throw this whole thing together last week. They've been working on it for a while now. Heck, Chris Avellone was asking for Kickstarter suggestions half a year ago.

Part of the problem seems to be recalibrating their plans based on the overwhelming support they recieved. If in their minds it was a 50/50 proposition to get funded for a project that they thought they might want to do then chances are that their design goals were much more modest that what it looks like they'll be able to actually do now.

It's something like designing a blueprint for a house that is going to cost 200K to build and then right before you go to take out the loan, you buy a lottery ticket and win 10 million bucks. That might send you back to the drawing board just a little bit ... you probably aren't going to want to just tack on a lot of gold plated door-knobs and toilet seats just to take advantage of your newly gotten wealth.

Edited by nikolokolus

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the developers to give more details. They didn't just throw this whole thing together last week. They've been working on it for a while now. Heck, Chris Avellone was asking for Kickstarter suggestions half a year ago.

Asking for more details is not unreasonable. Saying that Obsidian is doing a poor job (as compared to what) I say is.

I just posted elsewhere about this - but Obsidian is on track to have as many updates with as much information in them as both inXile and Harebrained Schemes, and forget about Double Fine - they started on February 8th and had their first update on the 15th, a week after they hit their goal.

No it isn't unreasonable to ask for information but it is unreasonable to expect to have a whole game laid out when four days ago the developers didn't even know if they would get the funding for it. They still don't have the money. These are pledges not cold cash yet.

Asking them to lock them selves into something right now is unreasonable and unproductive. Give them a chance to catch their breath and do some work. We, at least some of us, have complained that it is the publishers that have put pressures on developers to develop mediocre and shoddy games do we want to do the same thing? Once Oct 16th has passed what is next? Crying that we paid money but don't have the game? Come on guys be fair. I do not need a day by day report on what they are doing. I want them working on the game and giving us periodic reports. Not jumping at them because it is 10 AM my time and only 7 AM their time and I haven't heard from them.

I pledged because I like Obsidian's games and I trust them. They have NOT given us bad communications.

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg

I think we're all just a little excited about this. I still agree with the OP that yes, Obsidian did a poor job.

No one thinks it's Obsidian's fault. It's not Obsidian's fault. Yet out of excitement and surprise, they could NOT do a good job at all of replying, of responding, of communicating.

As I stated, this is their first big date with liberty. And she's kissing on them at the doorstep. Wow.

So if they stutter and stumble, I understand. We understand. However, we should also understand when someone rightfully points out, "hey, Obsidian's t-shirt is on backwards". Yes, it is. And we couldn't be happier that they have a t-shirt. What we want to know is: what *might* be done with our money? Why is it 300,000 dollars more to make a region. That's 300,000 dollars, guys. It's not unreasonable to ask out of the blue, "Why do you guys need all that money? What are you going to do with it?"

If you'd know that a contemporary game can cost more than twenty million dollars to make, you shouldn't be surprised.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."