Purely isometric, or mix of isometric, third-person and cinematic?

I dislike cinematic. And am quite disinterested in the cutscene style of conversation. It's a whole mechanism by which you stop being a character and actor in the world and instead become a hostage to the conversation of two people, one of whom is supposedly your persona, but you're staring at his face.

• Like 5
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Totally know what you mean. Adding a dynamic camera would absolutely be the sole instigator of a game being dedicated to dressing up your avatar. I mean, what possible other purpose could it serve!? I certainly can't think of one...

In a game with pre-rendered 2D backgrounds? No, I can't think of any other purpose.

If their touchstone is the Infinity Engine games, I don't see any place for a free camera, as it gets away from the IE design of 2D, hand-painted backgrounds (which I, and many other fans, love and miss). If you want a 3D RPG with a fully customizable avatar and a free camera, there are many great games out there that offer that as an option.

Infinity Engine style seems to me

fixed isometric camera

with some rendered (or possible artistic) cutscenes for important (ie opening / closing) parts of the game.

Considering there might be more Choice & Consequence involved, for cutscenes I'd have something that is easy to produce and change, like how DSIII did it.

Infinity Engine games (and original Fallout games) have aged well in all but one thing - art was fixed to low resolutions. Sure, you can now install mods and pretend that you're playing at a higher resolution, but that only means everything is smaller on screen. Also, BG2 limited character sprites to only one-side view, so if your party member carried a longsword and a shield - they would switch hands every time they turned around. Having 3D characters is the best way to allow for modifications and upgrades to the art.

I hope the scenes will be pre-rendered sets (like in Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment), and not vast and empty spaces interspersed with walls and the occasional shelf or table (like in Fallout and Arcanum).

They say they are making the true spiritual successor of the IE games an that means fixed perceptive isometric view with 2D painted backgrounds.

I personally believe the IE were the most beautiful RPGs ever made so I'm all for it.

Of course if the developers ever decided to give some real info we would not need to speculate.

Codex Explorer

Purely isometric. The whole "cinematic" thing detracts from having dialog trees, text descriptions... I'm assuming this game will really be a drawback to the Ye Olden&Golden TImes of text-heavy and abstraction (ie. you didn't actually see what happens as with modern FPS-RPGs or over-the-shoulder. It would all be an abstract representation, you won't see the actual 3D model and/or voiceactor emoting, instead you'll read the line + descritpion. The couple dozen NPCs that mostly look alike? They represent the hundred-or-so-people town, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

I want to be able to zoom in.... :( I hate only being able to have a birds eye view. When I first got NWN2 and realised I could zoom in... I was a very happy girl.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Josh already confirmed that the graphics will be 3D pre-rendered hand-painted backgrounds with 3D sprites and some 3D objects (like ToEE), and the Known information thread indicates that the camera is isometric static but might be zoomable (can't be moved otherwise).

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

As this is a unity3d everything runs on the gpu which means that you can do detailed maps and let the graphics card cull details. Zooming isn't a problem as they will probably still use a 3d camera setup while the world is a setup of many flat 3d tiles infront of the camera.

No zooming. Not ever. No close-ups, no cinematics, no rotating camera, nothing. Static isometric camera.

end of rine.

What the gosh darn heck ( keeping within forum rules here) would close-ups and zooming hurt? Or a rotating camera? Would that destroy the tactical combat? If so, please explain.

No zooming. Not ever. No close-ups, no cinematics, no rotating camera, nothing. Static isometric camera.

end of rine.

What the gosh darn heck ( keeping within forum rules here) would close-ups and zooming hurt? Or a rotating camera? Would that destroy the tactical combat? If so, please explain.

nothing at all. the rotating likely won't work with the 2d prerendered backgrounds, but there is nothing wrong with rotating cameras in general.

Edited by ogrezilla

end of rine.

nothing at all. the rotating likely won't work with the 2d prerendered backgrounds, but there is nothing wrong with rotating cameras in general.

Yes it is. To this day I can't touch NWN2 because of camera controls from hell. So no thanks.