Portraits  

213 members have voted

1. 1. What type of portraits do you like

• Old-skool custom ports like IE games
    • Moving avatars like Dragon Age
    • Portraits? Like get with the 21st Century please.

Blind answer would be portraits of course, but a final answer would need to wait until we get some preliminary shots of what the in-game models look like - DA:O would have looked ridiculous with painted portraits at the level of zoom you could do. :p

I'd like the portrait option split into two though - close-ups only or full body.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

3d models of heads lack the personality that the old style portraits conveyed. Plus it is awesome to put Bobby Kotick's head on a companion and treating it like ****.

Edited by Gurkog
  • Like 1
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

It is simple. You cannot make a animated head that:

- is cheap to make

AND

- does not feel out of space

so 2D art rules in this.

though Dragon Age did (non-animated) 3D heads decently they were hust heads. Compare it with Minsc portraits - stylised, with Boo (hamster) and some emotions... basically a whole story in itself.

Edited by Smejki
  • Like 3

Dragon Age didn't have animated portraits/moving avatars, that was Planescape: Torment. They're nice looking, but I think the portraits in BG and IWD looked much nicer, with the added ability to port our own. Custom portraits win hands down.

I voted for #2 mostly because an animated character portrait would be essential to show facial expressions in an isometric game.

Of course, if they (and people loading in custom portraits) are prepared to have a huge variety of expressions drawn for their 2D faces instead, I'm fine with that.

Something stirs within...

I'm in favour of old-school portraits. They just ooze personality and quite often are simply works of art. And you have an option to use whatever you like with custom options.

Check out this topic as well : http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60122-stretch-goal-hire-justin-sweet-to-make-portraits/

I think you'll love them if you like the IE style character art.

I think this one has a clear winner. I remember back in the day the talk of removing them because they were a bit old fashioned when there was 3D characters on the screen. However to this day those 3d characters never properly show the status of the character. Plus there is something cool about the idealized portrait of each PC being shown rather than a 3D rendering of them. I hope they do go back to the portrait views.

The real goal should be to make the 3D character in the game actually resemble the portrait to a large degree. I would love to see these little marching characters actually look something like their portraits even if they're miniature in a top down fixed view.

• Like 1