Possibility of console release?

Could a future stretch goal potentially be extending to an Xbox or Playstation release? At a 2014 release date, we would likely be looking at the next-gen systems.

Just curious what other posters or Obsidian faculty thought.

thanks.

I don't think so Tim.

It was stated in many places that they are looking forward to designing a game that does not need to be altered to fit the constraints of a console, mainly the limited functionality of a controller.

EDIT: I was too slow!

Edited by Gurkog
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Consoles have been ruining proper PC RPGs for too long as it is, IMO. Just look at the differences between Dragon Age: Origins being developed primarily for the PC and then it's so-called train-wreck of a sequel being developed primarily for the consoles. That alone is evidence enough that this game should be made for PC and only PC.

• Like 1

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

Consoles have been ruining proper PC RPGs for too long as it is, IMO. Just look at the differences between Dragon Age: Origins being developed primarily for the PC and then it's so-called train-wreck of a sequel being developed primarily for the consoles. That alone is evidence enough that this game should be made for PC and only PC.

In all fairness, I don't think DA2's problems had anything to do with the platform it was being developed for.

In all fairness, I don't think DA2's problems had anything to do with the platform it was being developed for.

Some of them did, but not all of them. There's also EA, the rushed development cycle and a lot of their design decisions as a whole. But I do remember Mike Laidlaw pretty much outright stating that with DA2 consoles were the lead platform, and that's largely why the tactical camera went and the game became faster-paced and more action-oriented.

Let's just say that it was a contributing factor amongst several many other issues.

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

I understand that it would be difficult to make an isometric game for consoles. Maybe if consoles upgrade and become less limited that could be done but first the consoles need to change. Games geared to consoles don't do so well when translated to PCs so which ever direction you go there would be problems.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Please people lets not start a console war here, I just came here from Bethesda forum, and I have enough of this argument about which consol is better, and screams that consols are from imature kids and pc for intelectual.

Let's get back to the topic, while I am mainly consol player ( I dont like upgradeing my pc on weekly bases, and there arent many exuclives to change my opinion) I think that PE needs to be a pure pc game, if it is suppposed to be a wink to our older generation of crpgs maniacs

• Like 1

Please people lets not start a console war here, I just came here from Bethesda forum, and I have enough of this argument about which consol is better, and screams that consols are from imature kids and pc for intelectual.

Let's get back to the topic, while I am mainly consol player ( I dont like upgradeing my pc on weekly bases, and there arent many exuclives to change my opinion) I think that PE needs to be a pure pc game, if it is suppposed to be a wink to our older generation of crpgs maniacs

No sane pc gamer upgrades his pc weekly... Even monthly. Someone rich might maybe do it yearly. But weekly O.o?

Personally if at some later date Obsidian wants to make a console version that does not matter to me. The initial game is being made for the PC. The final decision is Obsidian's, If the initial game was being made for consoles I would not have pledged. However what ever other versions they end up making does not affect me. I am not against a console version as long as it does not affect the PC version in any way.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

pledge towards that 2,2M stretch goal, slap a linux on that ps3, plug in a keayboard and a mouse, and you're all set!

That will not work, because Obsidian will probably release linux version for x86(-64)-processors only and PS3 uses PowerPC variant processors and those two platforms (x86 and PowerPC) are not binary compatible.

Edited by Elerond

Consoles ruined videogames, not only RPGs, with simplified gameplay (I'm not referring to difficulty level, but to complexity level). So, please, please, PC only!

:blink: what a bull***t

I guess, you have never played Metal Gear Solid

Yep, sadly this is the fact that people love to argue Pc players often see themselves as inteligent mature guys while in fact they act like bunch of imature snobs, consol players see themselve as inteligent mature guys , while in fact they act like bunch of immature snobs, what is this teaching as consolf wars is imature and we all should be nice to each other and talk about a game and not platform