Reading some of the suggestions is almost like most Obsidian fans are between 10-15...

Full voice-acting? This is not 20mln budget game. Think. Avoid the full VO and focus on writing like you did in PS:T.

Romances. Yeah, that figures. Get a life. (or make it as subtle as humanly possible [PS:T])

Bioware cooperation. Are you an idiot or what?

Housing. Probably the most important part of the genre. Not.

So my body regenerates to bring all my cells to a stage of 10-15 years old? Cool! And just because I don't have a childish idea about romances in videogames? And because I think that housing/stronghold is actually nice to have? Wow! You saved me so much Botox!!! :p

I'll agree with the "No" to voice acting. Epic money drain right there and altough it may add to the presentation, it limits the content in a very irritating way.

Bringing BioWare in? I don't care in any way about that. If Obsidian were to decide that they want that, more power to them because I'm not the one creating the game but them. But you certainly failed your Diplomacy check there.

Edited by Wintersong

Try Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Although it was released unfinished.

You should notice that Bloodlines does not have nearly as many NPCs as for example Fallout does.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

Reading some of the suggestions is almost like most Obsidian fans are between 10-15...

Full voice-acting? This is not 20mln budget game. Think. Avoid the full VO and focus on writing like you did in PS:T.

Romances. Yeah, that figures. Get a life. (or make it as subtle as humanly possible [PS:T])

Bioware cooperation. Are you an idiot or what?

So my body regenerates to bring all my cells to a stage of 10-15 years old? Cool! And just because I don't have a childish idea about romances in videogames? And because I think that housing/stronghold is actually nice to have? Wow! You saved me so much Botox!!! :p

I'll agree with the "No" to voice acting. Epic money drain right there and altough it may add to the presentation, it limits the content in a very irritating way.

Bringing BioWare in? I don't care in any way about that. If Obsidian were to decide that they want that, more power to them because I'm not the one creating the game but them. But you certainly failed your Diplomacy check there.

Well, some like "housing", others like Saw and Resident Evil movies. Hard to argue with that.

I remember playing Sims 1 once, was a lot of fun indeed.

The one I feel strongly about is 'no voice acting'. You pretty much have to pay for every spoken sentence, severely limiting the writer's freedom. It's an obvious thing not to include in a project of this kind, which is why Obsidian has already said that there will only be flavor VO for few lines.

The BioWare idea did not resonate with me either. I trust Obsidian to do Housing/Romancing right, even though I don't care for it -- just take solace in the fact that people wanting to play house are, likely in large parts, funding a game you want to be made except for a few trivial gripes, and suddenly you don't have to be so grumpy anymore.

Try Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Although it was released unfinished.

You should notice that Bloodlines does not have nearly as many NPCs as for example Fallout does.

It is an example of voice acting that adds to the quality of the characters. I could go through most of Bioware's games without listening to the dialog, but I enjoy listening to every character in V:tM-B

I guess it is just personal opinion and as such I can not prove anything. :banghead:

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

You have a game with very little information out on it so far, and it seems to be attracting a fair number of both older and younger gamers. Of course you're going to get some very different expectations about the game. I do not envy Obsidian's current position, you can almost guarantee that no matter what they end up doing/announcing someone will be unhappy about it.

But as for the romances, they didn't just spring up over night with Dragon Age and Mass Effect. There were romances in NWN2, MotB, NWN: HotU, BG2, and PS:T. And there are a lot of romance mods for BG2 (and some other games like IWD). So those asking for romance aren't necessarily young or new fans.

When you start a thread basically to attack fellow forumers, it is 100% a troll thread. It's also a thread destined for failure.

Instead of starting a thread bashing others' threads either a) ignore them b) post in those threads why there ideas are not up to par in a civil manner or c) start a thread sharing your ideas with Obsidian and fellow forumers.

Starting a thread to state others' ideas are crap and dumb and stupid and other garbage is the very definition of a troll thread. The fact *I* point out this obvious is what's really silly. L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

When you start a thread basically to attack fellow forumers, it is 100% a troll thread. It's also a thread destined for failure.

Instead of starting a thread bashing others' threads either a) ignore them b) post in those threads why there ideas are not up to par in a civil manner or c) start a thread sharing your ideas with Obsidian and fellow forumers.

Starting a thread to state others' ideas are crap and dumb and stupid and other garbage is the very definition of a troll thread. The fact *I* point out this obvious is what's really silly. L0L

Yup. Last time i checked it wasn't "off-topic" and irrelevant to the project itself. And that's what trolling is my silly friend.

You just came here, to call people trolls simply because you disagree. Disrupt a conversansion with your OT ****. Troll defined.

Edited by gongal
  • Like 1

Why lie? I'm not your friend. I can be silly though so youa re half right.

Starting a thread strictly to attack others is very much trolling. That's what www.rpgcodex.com is for.

This forum should be about getting Obsidian to put DWARVES in the game. 100% of the time.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why lie? I'm not your friend. I can be silly though so youa re half right.

Starting a thread strictly to attack others is very much trolling. That's what www.rpgcodex.com is for.

This forum should be about getting Obsidian to put DWARVES in the game. 100% of the time.

Yup.

I support voice overs if it's in same level what it was in baldur's gates and PS: torment.

An example from character which I liked most in BG1. (Video includes all his voice over lines from the game)

House/stonghold/castle/etc. where you can store your goods and companions is good to have, but not necessity.

Romances are think that add depth and play throughts to game if they are well writen, but if they are same carpage what most of the modern urban fantasy books are full of then they can only give bad rep for the game. So my opinion is add them if you feel that you can do decent job with them, but don't force yourself to write them, because that probably don't end well. If you think that you can do great job with them, you should be resticted to write any and reason for this is above-mentioned modern urban fantasy books.

What comes to Bioware(EA) cooperation, that is stricky question, because Bioware is full of talented persion, it is big studio with great recourses, but is also part of EA and so cooperation with them also means cooperation with EA and that means that Obsidian must struck some kind deal with EA which profits EA as big corporations don't usually do things that don't profit them some how. And one must also take count that Bioware has now bad rep with many old school rpg fans, which may or mayn't be deserved.

• Like 1

The problem with the original post here is that OP claims four things are silly, two of them for practical reasons, two of them for taste reasons.

Yes, full voice acting is out of the question. It's been explained numerous times how it's too expensive and would hold back an expansive dialogue tree. Yes, working with BioWare is out of the question. This is Obsidian's game, designed to be created without publisher input. Even if BioWare had time free from their own games to work on this, EA would have to get involved as well which puts all sorts of constraints and demands on the project.

However, there's nothing inherently wrong with romances or houses. Romances, I could take or leave. If people want them and you've got time, stick them in the game as something optional. Houses I'm a big fan of. They're useful, they add depth to the world and another connection with the character. If you're not down with those things that's fine, but to call them silly is demeaning to those who do enjoy them.

• Like 1

Does this unit have a soul?

VO is not only a waste of resources, it limits writers to the minimum.

So, gongal, what are your aged and wise desires for the game, then?

No kitties and ponies.

Here is where all your arguments have became invalid... Proper RPG must have kitties included, or it fails miserably...

That and tea-pots of course...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So, I half agree with and the other half I don't. I agree with no full VO, I like reading large blocks of text and branching dialog, having partial VO only at important moments is the best solution, the best bang for your buck in otherwords. I also think the MODERN version of bioware, or EAware should be avoided at all cost (although some of the older crew that left before EA took over might be good).

However, I like romances in games, not subtle victorian read between the lines like some people want, but real romances in at least DAO and other games (I don't care about sex scenes, a black screen is fine like the old games) level. Although I bet the could do better. I also like little things like owning a keep/fortress and upgrading it, it is FUN for a lot of us. It is something to do besides the all mighty quest and missions, there is nothing wrong with adding extra dimensions of gameplay.

Who on this forum ever claimed it's the most important part of the genre? It's not. But unlike the other things on your list, A player home is completely consistant with the "old school" theme that the Devs have promised for this game. So I don't understand why it's included in your list of gripes. TOEE had a player house. BG2 had a player house. Morrowind had a player house.

Edited by Stun

First, I want to say that at this point nothing can really be considered 'silly' be it ponies or kitties or even dwarves. The sillyness of dwarves is not an absolute but something to be determined over the course of the project.

As for the full VO I agree with most that have posted here that it has probably gone too far. I think the best mix was in BG1/2. If a quest NPC or companion had something to say, the first line and sometimes the first response was voiced, in order to grab the player's attention and give them an idea of the tone of the conversation. The imagination can take over from there, reading the rest of the conversation 'out loud' in your head using the same voice. This works best for the writers since the opening line(s) have the least amount of variation and are less likely to require changes as the text is edited.

Romances can add to a game... if done well.

A house/stronghold can add to a game... if done well.

Overall it is the quality of a feature, not just its presence or absence, that we will judge.

• Like 1

I'm not too fussed about the rest of it but housing would be great. Anyone who's played rpg's with me knows that if its dead, I'm looting it, and being the inveterate packrat that I am I need somewhere to store all my loot.

While VO would be nice (BG2 without Irenicus voiced as he was wouldn't be the same game) it does cost a lot and makes it damn hard to edit things later (vo actor availability, extra cost, etc), and more importantly Obisidian have already said no so not much point discussing it.

Ignorance is only a curse to those who believe it isn't.