Reading some of the suggestions is almost like most Obsidian fans are between 10-15...

Full voice-acting? This is not 20mln budget game. Think. Avoid the full VO and focus on writing like you did in PS:T.

Romances. Yeah, that figures. (or make it as subtle as humanly possible [PS:T])

Bioware cooperation. What?

Housing. Probably the most important part of the genre. Not.

• Like 23

Is there a way to dislike posts?

Some people like different things. Maybe some people think you're silly for not wanting houses or romances. Its an rpg, anything that adds to that experience is a good thing, and for a lot of people, those things add to the experience.

• Like 12
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Some people like different things. Maybe some people think you're silly for not wanting houses or romances. Its an rpg, anything that adds to that experience is a good thing, and for a lot of people, those things add to the experience.

Sure, why not. Let's have a truely oldschool Obsidian's Dragon's Age experience.

"Is there a way to dislike posts?"

Managed to figure it out, genius?

Edited by gongal

I sometimes get an uncanny feeling that some people who have funded this game have never played anything by Obs except for Fallout NV. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. At least this genre of game is getting a new audience. :)

I trust Obsidian to make the right decisions, as for player housing I thought the strongholds in Baldur's Gate 2 were very cool especially the quests for them.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly
  • Like 10

Full voice-acting? This is not 20mln budget game. Think. Avoid the full VO and focus on writing like you did in PS:T.

Agreed.

Romances. Yeah, that figures. Get a life. (or make it as subtle as humanly possible [PS:T])

Here I disagree. I think a well-written romance adds depth both to the main character and to his/her love interest. And to the relationships of the whole party if other members react to that (be it jokes, or jealousy, or support).

Well, personally I liked the idea of strongholds in BG or the keep in NWN2. For me it helps immersion when the main chaaracter has a home in the game and can build or upgrade it.

• Like 2
obsidian-shield.jpg

Well, there IS the "report" button beneath your avatar. Was considering pressing it myself for this topic. Chose not to,.

As for me, I will admit that all the name-dropping in the video pitch (icewind dale, baldur's gate, torment) ended up implying a lot more than it actually said, and my pledge amount reflected that to a large degree. I'm prepared for the not-unlikely event that my own personal expectations are not going to be met, but mostly I'm just trusting that the devs here have a very specific idea of what they want this game to be.

Regarding what actual substance the surly Nub up there horked up in the opening post, though:

Romances? Fine, in moderation. So long as they're not bludgeoning me with characters of all stripes wanting to hook up the way your typical modern Bioware does, it'll be fine.

Housing? I like a place to store my loot. A few storage chests will do nicely, but the housing in Skyrim opened my eyes to the possibility of actually being able to openly DISPLAY my gaudy sets of armor and ostentatiously flaming swords. That, I found, was pretty darn nifty. Eating dinner by the flicker and glow of enchanted weapon and armor alone? Sexy.

Full VO? Waste of resources, IMO. This particularly holds true in a game that presents itself in non-cinematic fashion. You've got the abstraction of isometric perspective already so it's not like the characters are going to look like they're physically mute when the camera zooms in, they open their mouth, and nothing comes out, and I HOPE that whatever VO there is, if any, won't be so inconsistently applied that it makes me feel the same might hold true of, say, any protagonist character that may or may not exist. Even so, though, it's been a rare VO where I've felt compelled to listen to all of it in spite of having finished reading the dialogue, though ironically, the ones I remember most clearly DID appear in Icewind Dale. And BG2. Larrel, Kresselack. Irencius. Probably felt that way precisely BECAUSE the games didn't feature full VO, so... goes both ways, I suppose.

Bringing in Bioware? In this, I'd say the OP actually has a point, snarky though it may have been phrased. That WOULD be madness. That's probably the one thing that would cause me to withdraw my pledge completely, because not only do I find Bioware games too "streamlined" for my taste these days, it tells me that Obsidian feels they're not up to the job of implementing their own pitch. That move would have "DISASTER!!" written all over it.

Edited by Magnum Opus
  • Like 6

Romances. Yeah, that figures. Get a life. (or make it as subtle as humanly possible [PS:T])

I'd actually like some romance options, as long as they are written by Chris Avellone, who admittedly cannot find a love story interesting unless one of the participants betrays the other, or sets him/her or fire, or both.

• Like 7

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

You voiced my exact concerns in a less... diplomatic way.

I agree though. It does feel like there's a lot of the younger generation present. Their introduction to CRPGs were probably the recent offerings by BioWare and such, and they think the lack of that horrendous over-the-shoulder camera, fake looking facial animations, and usually poor voice acting will take away from the game.

Here I disagree. I think a well-written romance adds depth both to the main character and to his/her love interest. And to the relationships of the whole party if other members react to that (be it jokes, or jealousy, or support).

The problem with that is the romances are almost always so lame that it's actually painful to watch them unfold. But I guess it fulfiils the fantasy that you can actually get laid by compliments and gifts or whatever.

Edited by Audiocide
  • Like 4

VO is not only a waste of resources, it limits writers to the minimum.

So, gongal, what are your aged and wise desires for the game, then?

No kitties and ponies.

And the last time I've seen romance done well was probably Torment without all the forced silly Muppet Show sex scenes used in Bioware games.

Had it's subtlety and a romantic, almost poetic feeling to it, without sex ever happening.

And yeah, you can report and dislike, even tell your mom if makes you feel an Awesome.

Edited by gongal
  • Like 1

There was a guy in the VO thread who was a student at a drama school, said if they wanted he could get an entire class doing it for pretty much free. While i wouldnt just take them in with arms wide open just because they are relatively free, but if a quality assurance process existed i think crowdfunding (or rather the whole industry) might reach another level if they learned how to utilize their fanbase better.

Edited by Gyges

No kitties and ponies.

No cats? Blasphemy! Away with you. :cat:

Ponies I don't care about.

Jerky is a must, however. I want it available at merchants. It's good traveling fare when you're on the go. +5 to health, too.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Reading some of the suggestions is almost like most Bioware fans are between 10-15...

Bioware cooperation. Are you an idiot or what?

fixed for accuracy.

• Like 3

[intelligence] I'm fighting the Good Fight with my posts.

I also trust Obsidian to not give us Bioware style romance, since we already know Sawyer and MCA dislikes writing them. That means that if there is to be any romance at all, it will probably be subtle and tasteful, like in Torment, and to a lesser extent, KotOR 2 and MotB.

I still think it's important that we ridicule anyone who brings up romance and kids and housing as much as possible though, because in your face nerd.

I do not think that anyone at Obsidian or here at the forum takes those kinds of suggestions seriously. They pretty much go (except the last one) against the original intent posted in the announcement-video.

But i am a hopeless optimist at times.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There was a guy in the VO thread who was a student at a drama school, said if they wanted he could get an entire class doing it for pretty much free. While i wouldnt just take them in with arms wide open just because they are relatively free, but if a quality assurance process existed i think crowdfunding (or rather the whole industry) might reach another level if they learned how to utilize their fanbase better.

When you have fully voiced dialog lines changing the script becomes prohibitively difficult/expensive behind a certain point, the game itself becomes significantly larger and thus possibly more difficult to distribute and lines that are fine in written form become unusable when they are actually spoken (especially by drama school students, about whose actual competency I have certain doubts). I have not played a cRPG which I have felt was made better by the inclusion of fully voiced dialog, quite the opposite really and I do not believe this will ever change.

Edited by evdk
  • Like 3

Say no to popamole!

Some of the suggestions are silly and even counter to the aims stated by Obsidian. I have no doubt that it wont actually effect the development of the game.

If you take the "include Bioware" thread for example, the result of the poll was a resounding no. So whilst there may exist a few people who aren't with the program it seems like they are in the minority. Though maybe the comments on the Kickstarter site give a different impression.

• Like 1

Some of the suggestions are silly and even counter to the aims stated by Obsidian. I have no doubt that it wont actually effect the development of the game.

People have different notions of what "silly" may consist of. Opinions differ and we aren't all going to agree on the importance or validity of this or that. But sometimes those threads/suggestions we may disagree with still encourage discussion/debate and bring up new ideas in the process, so I see nothing to be alarmed or disparaging about for the fact they simply exist.

We've got a long time before the game will be in our hands...may as well have a chat. And some cookies. Mm. Jerky and cookies. I've made myself hungry.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When you have fully voiced dialog lines changing the script becomes prohibitively difficult/expensive behind a certain point, the game itself becomes significantly larger and thus possibly more difficult to distribute and lines that are fine in written form become unusable when they are actually spoken (especially by drama school students, about whose actual competency I have certain doubts). I have not played a cRPG which I have felt was made better by the inclusion of fully voiced dialog, quite the opposite really and I do not believe this will ever change.

Aah, obviously the technicalities of it seems to have flown me by. I still think certain lines, like the more trivial helloes and goodbyes might be voiced in order to give the player a voice to use in their heads besides their own when they read the characters line.

Edited by Gyges

People have different notions of what "silly" may consist of. Opinions differ and we aren't all going to agree on the importance or validity of this or that. But sometimes those threads/suggestions we may disagree with still encourage discussion/debate and bring up new ideas in the process, so I see nothing to be alarmed or disparaging about for the fact they simply exist.

We've got a long time before the game will be in our hands...may as well have a chat. And some cookies. Mm. Jerky and cookies. I've made myself hungry.

People also seem to have different notions about what RPG is (Mass Effect, Deus Ex haha) and I see no harm in disabusing them of it. I mean good god, keep Bioware and its design philosophies far away from this game.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

Aah, obviously the technicalities of it seems to have flown me by. I still think certain lines, like the more trivial helloes and goodbyes might be voiced in order to give the player a voice to use in their heads besides their own when they read the characters line.

As I understand it this what they plan on doing.

Updated my Journal.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

Try Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Although it was released unfinished.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.