Close Combat and Spacing

"Perhaps holding on right click on an enemy and then choosing if that character should engage aggressively or defensively. Aggressive stance would result in a gamble with higher attack output but also higher health loss, while a defensive stance will result in more visual dodges or blocks. The engagement by the player is to know when to switch between the stances or when to activate a skill. For example an enemy may be very aggressive and charges at the character at that point the player can pause quickly and activate a trip command and does an instant deathblow. Reward players who are engaged with what

Obsessing over Sword Art Online at the moment ^_^

I despise RSR in my RPG's as much as any other, you've got an absolutely great point in this topic.

I'm not sure about your proposed solution, but perhaps I'm still digesting it. My initial fear is the potential for the resultant system to feel clunky, or not mesh with the rest of combat. I can't say I have any better ideas though, so you've got me there. ^^

Weapon ranges are crucial and I will be saddened if they are not stressed. I find it to be the downfall of many RPG's of late, most popular ones especially. Polearms are defined as "2 handed for tons of damage!" instead of what their real strength is - hitting people that can't hit you back. I feel very strongly about this point and if a single developer can bring about the revival of weapon ranges, I hope it's Obsidian. <3 After all, weapon ranges should absolutely play a fundamental role to combat. Not in a rock-paper-scissors kind of way, but another dimension of awareness to one's own strengths and weaknesses, as well as that of their opponents.

• Like 1

Combat animations similar to what we saw in Dragon Age Origins would be good enough for me.(I never played Dragon Age 2).

Animations for dodging,parrying,blocking,swinging a heavy weapon,being hit etc. would of course be ages ahead of the infinity engine games

and would make the combat feel much more lively and exciting,regardless of whether there will be defensive/aggressive stances.

I would personally be happy with that.Now if they find a way to incorporate combat stances without making combat feel fiddly,then all the better.