If romances are included

Obviously there should be the "brothers in arms" type, shared struggle and such pushing unlikely partners together. Possibly doomed once the story is over. The Fall From Grace intellectual connection type would be good too. More likely to last I think. An Isabella (DA2) type pure physical attraction one would be good too. The kind that starts off purely flirty and physical but could grow over time.

• Like 6
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

the romance with annah in planescape torment was good. i'd rather they not bother with them unless its tied into the plot in some meaningful way

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think romance can be good if it's done right. I'm not particular fond of choosing certain dialogue trees and bam instantly that character is in love with me. It's like playing Sims and you just chat chat, flirt flirt, hug, massage, then woohoo. It's not a very realistic take on romance and why most players are turned off by it. I think if there is a romance it should be surrounded by an event, and an opportunity arises which lead to feelings. Perhaps the character and the love interest is stuck by themselves somewhere and gone through some sort of hardship that may lead to mutual feelings. Maybe a character's sidequest and a particular decision lead to it. Perhaps like a hard mode to a side quest. Of course it should be absolutely optional.

Obsessing over Sword Art Online at the moment ^_^

As long as it's well written, makes sense, does not take away from the story or characters I'm all for it.

Also options like harlots, certain major characters maybe getting feelings for the PC ect would be nice if also done right, but again either do it well or don't do it at all. PS:T, BG2 and DAO(to an extent, the approval system kinda muddled it up a bit) did it very well.

Edited by Kraidy117

I'd like the romance to be grown up and subtle. A nice romance for straight female players would be great if there is going to be some.

I've often thought the Big bad falling for the PC or a companion would be really interesting if done in a serious and non Twilight kind of way. Kind of like a tragic romance.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly
  • Like 3

Bioware has actually learned a tiny bit. There's GLIMMERS of decent romances in a few arcs. There's just...a lot of problems on top of them.

The main thing is it should flow naturally. You shouldn't be able to get someone to fall in love with you in a totally isolated conversation branch that only takes place in the party hub/inn/Ebon Hawk. It should derive from actions in the game world. And don't try to make every character that may be a fan favorite romancable. I don't care if he/she is your favorite character. They may just not be into you. Quality over quantity, what makes sense for the story and characters, etc...

EDIT: Oh, and no accidental romances. conversely, would be kind of cool to see a companion get increasingly depressed/jealous/angry if you behaved in a way that would trigger a romance sub plot but you ignored/shot them down. Or maybe that's too soap opera...

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 3

I have zero interest in PC romances. It becomes a sideshow and I'd rather do without, or have them be very, very minimal.

Frankly it's gross to come on here and see "romances" and "what if we can have a child" as two of the major topics. I'm hoping this is not the Sims or a Fable clone.

• Like 1

I'm more interesting in seeing the creation of a convincing rival or a convincing friendship, a real friendship, than a romance. I'm not against romances, mind you, I'd just really like to see concentration on other forms of bonding (or not bonding in the creation of a rival, but, in a way, that is a bond too . . . albeit a competitive one). Rivals I hardly ever see done well, they either come off as incompetent or are artificially pumped up. I need something that feels more tangible in a rival.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I think romances have their place, I mean the romance with Alastair in DA:O has always felt almost central to the plot to me. The Warden and her choices are deeply effected by his history and their relationship. I love that it feels like part of the game and is not just tacked on. Having a child is just to far for me though, How long is this adventure going on for! :D

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

I'm more interesting in seeing the creation of a convincing rival or a convincing friendship, a real friendship, than a romance. I'm not against romances, mind you, I'd just really like to see concentration on other forms of bonding (or not bonding in the creation of a rival, but, in a way, that is a bond too . . . albeit a competitive one). Rivals I hardly ever see done well, they either come off as incompetent or are artificially pumped up. I need something that feels more tangible in a rival.

While I appreciate this post and others like it can we please return to the original topic of the Types of romance and references that people would like to see rather than the old have/have not debate.

Edit: If you wish to continue that discussion please post here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59939-a-suggestion-for-the-romances-youre-considering-if-any/page__st__60

Edited by zrani

I have zero interest in PC romances. It becomes a sideshow and I'd rather do without, or have them be very, very minimal.

Frankly it's gross to come on here and see "romances" and "what if we can have a child" as two of the major topics. I'm hoping this is not the Sims or a Fable clone.

If you don't like it then thats cool, but some people do. I like romances in games (er, not so much having a child topic), it gives your character a purpose besides the mighty quest. As long as its optional, then those who don't like them can ignore them while those who like them can follow that path. Just make the characters interesting, with interesting personalities. I like getting to know the characters and it actually make sense to chat them up to build up relationships. Also, what about a few outside relationships. Here me out, a delimma, a nobles daughter is kidnapped, the noble offers a high reward and the hand of the daughter in marriage for anybody who saves her(perhaps is a guy if the character is a strait girl). The noble is well connected and you could jump on doors will open if you accept the marriage, or you could take the money and not get married. A few outside romance OPTIONS could add a new layer of play. I am thinking of fallout 2 and the forced farmer forcing your character to marry his daughter if you slept with her. It is little things that add a new dimension to gameplay. I can understand some do not want it, but other do, different game styles for different people.

• Like 1

There's a lot of talk about romances, and whether they're good or bad. But has anybody said anything about bromance?

In my dream RPG, there'd be ways to have rich and meaningful interactions with NPCs without necessarily ending with boning them. It got super weird in DA2 when I just treated Anders like a bro and eventually he showed up on my porch, confessing love.

Romance is sometimes well done but I wouldn't want Obsidian to go the Bioware route of making it the next-to-only way to have a meaningful relationship with party members.

• Like 1

If there's romance, it needs to be based more on actions rather than words/conversations.

I would prefer the DA:O system without the gimmicky approval meter over Mass Effect's talk-n-bang romance arcs etc.

Witcher 2 was interesting in that it felt organic but I hated how we are pushed into the whole thing without much choice.

Make sure that the companion is still interesting even when I DON"T romance that particular character.

Edited by Savber
  • Like 2

Come on, everyone likes a little digital nooky..or a bit of romantic banter and then a roll in the hay. :p

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for well done romances, in a well done story driven RPG they only add to the immersion. Doing it the right way is the key though and making them believable and not cheesy or tacked on. Skyrim's marriage was probably the worst case scenario, and Bioware's romances become more and more dull and an endless copy&paste of the same old formula, not even mentioning the "everyone's bi because players need love slaves". I liked DA:O, but probably mainly because I immediately fell in love with characters like Leliana anyway. DA2 again was Bioware's worst case scenario, better leave them out before becoming so dull.

While I appreciate this post and others like it can we please return to the original topic of the Types of romance and references that people would like to see rather than the old have/have not debate.

http://forums.obsidi...ny/page__st__60

I apologize. In terms of types of Romances? Hm.

If they're going to be there I'd like to see them be.. not up front, or front loaded, if you catch my meaning. Regardless of type, it shouldn't be obvious up front what was in the cards, what you find beneath the surface of a character as you get closer and closer to them should be less predictable and I never want to see a character and go, "He/She is 'the' love interest" in terms of some obvious character pushed on you unless you utterly beat them with a stick to make them go away.

But the particular types? Eh.

I don't want that obvious one that just fawns all over you. That's annoying, at least it is to me. In fact I'd almost like to see a character the had a negative relationship with you, at first, slowly, and I do mean slowly, over the course of the 'possibly' become an ally, and then 'possibly' become a friend and, if achieved, 'possibly' be a love interest. If, and I stress if, your choices and actions are something they're okay with but not unless, their moral compas being a very hard wired one with no room for variation.

On the other hand, I'd also sort of be interested in a romance option that was, in a way, the opposite, but not in that they're instantly drawn to you. Rather a sort of character whose moral compass allows them to overlook your actions and choices if they like you and you treat them well. Someone that's willing to stand by you, regardless of your choices, accept your choices and go with them, if, and I stress if, you earn their loyalty.

• Like 2

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

http://forums.obsidi...ny/page__st__60

I apologize. In terms of types of Romances? Hm.

If they're going to be there I'd like to see them be.. not up front, or front loaded, if you catch my meaning. Regardless of type, it shouldn't be obvious up front what was in the cards, what you find beneath the surface of a character as you get closer and closer to them should be less predictable and I never want to see a character and go, "He/She is 'the' love interest" in terms of some obvious character pushed on you unless you utterly beat them with a stick to make them go away.

But the particular types? Eh.

I don't want that obvious one that just fawns all over you. That's annoying, at least it is to me. In fact I'd almost like to see a character the had a negative relationship with you, at first, slowly, and I do mean slowly, over the course of the 'possibly' become an ally, and then 'possibly' become a friend and, if achieved, 'possibly' be a love interest. If, and I stress if, your choices and actions are something they're okay with but not unless, their moral compas being a very hard wired one with no room for variation.

On the other hand, I'd also sort of be interested in a romance option that was, in a way, the opposite, but not in that they're instantly drawn to you. Rather a sort of character whose moral compass allows them to overlook your actions and choices if they like you and you treat them well. Someone that's willing to stand by you, regardless of your choices, accept your choices and go with them, if, and I stress if, you earn their loyalty.

Thank you this is what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

You know, there's only one character I recall having enjoyed a romance option with, and that's Viconia from BG. And it's for this exact reason. She was bat****. I remember it being extremely difficult to tell when I was warming up to her, and when I was just pissing her off. And even when I pissed her off she seemed to enjoy it. I had to be careful with every line of text; sometimes my affection would be well received, but if it just wasn't in the cards, she'd fly into a godless rage. Sometimes she was actually pretty compassionate, and she shared a few tragic stories with you about her past life...But I remember a few times she'd be in the mood for some hot campfire thrust-sessions, and then threaten to murder me if I ever touched her again at the end of it all.

So gloriously unstable. And the closer to her you got, the more unpredictable she would get. Never really found any other romance options, in that game or in others, to be quite as interesting.

Edited by Mystwalker