Will the game come out in multiple languages?

This might be an unusual question since languages beside English are more or less a norm in games nowadays but in this case, is there a enough money for that?

Since Project Eternity is fan funded, there are going to be some compromises (it's stated at their Kickstart page that there WILL be compromises if budged is below X number of money). How much do you need to get to give us choises in French/German/Spanish etc.? If there are going to be voice acting, might be too much to ask to have those in other than English (?) but for the text at least?

I obviously don't know how much money that will even take, so I'm asking from you guys.

And btw, I don't really need other languages than English to be able to enjoy this, but as a language learner I could use this opportunity to practice other languages than English via playing the game.

• Like 1

If we reach 2,4 millions $, I think localization in FIGS have to be done. After all, FIGS were early stretch goal in other RPG kickstarter project (Shadowrun returns, etc...). Yes, Dead State don't do it, but this game haven't get so much money as Shadowrun return or Project Eternity. Don't consider Dead State as reference.

• Like 2

Dark Goddess of the Obsidian Order.

Hello,

I live in Belgium and I have already play at many games in english like but it wasn't very hard to understand.

Recently, I've played at Superbrothers : Sword & Sworcery EP with a dictionnary because the language was sometimes pretty hard.

And what have I read on the kickstarter ?

"You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party.

• Like 2

And what have I read on the kickstarter ?

"You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. �and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out."

Yeah that's great, at thirty I prefer that.

But I don't feel like it will be always very fun to open a dictionnary to look at the translation (and I'm not sure that I'll gonna translate always correctly).

I've always played all my games in English, starting from a point where I couldn't understand the starting screen, to the point that I can read and listen English almost as well as my native Finnish. Sure, the school has helped, but most of my fluency I've got via books and games etc. meaning: by practical use! For that I already owe a big thanks to the gaming industry for teaching me English.

Playing shooters don't really improve your vocabulary since the story isn't very important. RPGs on the other hand are the exact opposite with their deep stories and plotlines. Since you NEED to be able to read and understand the language to be able to enjoy the story, playing the game with the target language (that one wants to learn) is extremely good vocabulary and grammar practice, plus a huge motivation boost to your studies!

And thanks for the game suggestions! After all, which is a more enjoyable way to learn something new, than playing RPGs, knowing that you're actually improving some other skill of your choosing? :)

I consider that if we have to learn english with games... it's more a consequence.

I'm sure that they know that it is important to put their game in many languages.

If it's not the case (let's imagine that), I'll play at this game but I really prefer that it's not the case.

Hello everyone.

Even if i am myself quite good to read english, it is always better to have the possibility to play a game in your maternal langage (especially RPGs of course) in order to be sure to understand all the details of dialogs for example, all the subtilities in any situation, and so that you can fully enjoy the game. And as stated above by Lokamb, the game will feature deep dialogs, so a translation is even more important than for a "standart" RPG.

And of course, it would be nice for people who have not a good level of english to be able to play the game ^^

And in the case of Obsidian planning to put voice acting in the game (but it seems quite improbable right ? It would be sooo expensive ! and not so useful), it is obvious to me that those voices would not have to be recorded for foreign langages.

Only text translation is important. Anyhow, for most of us, we are used to it i guess.

So, if we can afford it, it would be really cool to plan for at least a FIGS localisation :yes:

Edited by Simonosaurus
  • Like 2

Backer of : Dead State, Grim Dawn, Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2.

Les jeux sont faits, rien ne va plus !

I can't speak for the other languages, but I can speak for German: If Obsidian adds German localization, then the news about this will pop up on all of the gaming sites in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. There are a lot of gamers in these countries that love RPGs but can only speak basic English.There are about 120 million native German speakers in Europe... So that is something to think about.

It would probably also be helpful to translate the contents of the tiers into German, a simple link would suffice. You would also need to add PayPal though, seeing that most Europeans (in Germany at least) do not have (or need) credit cards.

:closed:

I've asked the question to Feargus just minutes ago :

Here is the question :

I am sorry to ask a question that many probably have asked before, but I very much would like to know what's your plan on the translation thing : Which langage ? Will it be a stretch goal ?

I know several friend that I can convinced to pledge if the game was localised in french. I also feel that it's a very important thing to bring many more backers to the project.

Thanks for the answer in advance.

Here is his answer :

Hi Blackstaff,

We are trying to figure out how to fund other languages. We may have to take a leap of faith and say we are doing them before we actually have the funding to do so. We will see.

Thanks for the incredible support!

-Feargus

So from the looks of it, they are very much aware of the problem and it's just a matter of how they will come to do it. They can put it as the 2,4M stretch goal

if (or when :) ) we come this far, or they will put it right out of the gate in an update and wait to see how much money will come back with it.

And for those coming here to say "it's a waste" or "learn english, dumbass", you just need to realise that there are in europe (and anywhere else for the matter) a lot of people who don't read or speak that well english but will gladly spend a lot in this game. It's a commercial thing, people.

I can't speak for the other languages, but I can speak for German: If Obsidian adds German localization, then the news about this will pop up on all of the gaming sites in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. There are a lot of gamers in these countries that love RPGs but can only speak basic English.There are about 120 million native German speakers in Europe... So that is something to think about.

It would probably also be helpful to translate the contents of the tiers into German, a simple link would suffice. You would also need to add PayPal though, seeing that most Europeans (in Germany at least) do not have (or need) credit cards.

Afaik you can't edit the tiers when someone already pledged to it. Would need some fan love to translate this thing. And some tipps for pledging without credit card.

Edited by Farudan

Eternity Gazette (german news about PE)

Afaik you can't edit the tiers when someone already pledged to it. Would need some fan love to translate this thing. And some tipps for pledging without credit card.

I did not mean that the tiers on the kickstarter should be edited. I meant that a simple link could be added to the kickstarter (pointing to the a thread on the forum here for example) where the tiers offered are translated into German.

Anyway, it is just an idea. Lets see what Obsidian has planned though. :)

Edited by dlux

:closed:

• 2 years later...

Hello, bringing this back from the grave apparently, have never posted in the forums.

I  was wondering regarding the localisation.

I want to get the game in german but i live in Greece. Do i specify the localisation during the download process or will the downloaded copy include all localisation options?

Hello, bringing this back from the grave apparently, have never posted in the forums.

I  was wondering regarding the localisation.

I want to get the game in german but i live in Greece. Do i specify the localisation during the download process or will the downloaded copy include all localisation options?

If you download it via Steam you can set it to any of the supported languages.

• Like 1