Female character designs - let's have variety.

When it comes to its females, fantasy games have this notoriously ability to always cater to one crowd and one crowd only: horny teenagers.

This always results in the same tired old tropes. Scantilly clad supermodel warrior, busty elf in a leaf bikini, highly oversexualized assassin... etc.

Thankfully, this is Obsidian we're talking about. Anyone who played KotOR 2, at least, will know that they are capable of creating female characters of the utmost quality and variety. Mira, Visas, Brianna, and freakin' Kreia are a testament to variety in female character creation. They also display how female character can be intriguing, interesting, and captivating without having to be objectified. Yet, as we saw with Mira, there's nothing wrong with some of them showing and using some sexy - in fact, not having a sexy character would be reduced variety, afterall.

Consider this, then, formal support for the continuation of that approach.

But feel free to take it even further, Obsi. Obviously, KotOR 2 had limitations and thus all the female characters only had one body model that could be used. With Project Eternity, ideally that won't be the case and we can have some variety in body types.

Sticking with the Star Wars theme, one of the best things about BioWare's current MMO, The Old Republic, is that you have four different body types to choose from (slender, athletic, buff, voluptuous), and various complexions to suit it further, as well as a non-sexualized approach to equipment - no Troopers in bikini body armor. But the option to sexualize yourself exists, should you choose it, as a social feature. This allows for maximum variety and minimal tropes. This is something I would love to see emulated, both in Project Eternity's character creations as well as in its NPCs and companion characters.

Variety makes a world believable. Toppling down tropes makes the industry stronger - bonus.

Cheers.

P.S.- Of course, this applies to male design as well.

Edited by Alopex
  • Like 2

I always wanted body builds for females as varied as the female Olympians. From the smaller petite and often flat Gymnasts to the extremely muscular weight lifters with more modest chests, to the lean and toned runners to the well formed aquatic athletes. Obviously though they shouldn't all look like sports stars, what about the short skinny librarian or the more motherly figure? And, you know what, sure, make room for the busty girl too, that's fine as long as there's variety outside of that option.

• Like 8

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I just hope that Obsidian takes into consideration of how standards of gender and sex (and all social norms) are defined, why it is defined that way, and who defines them. After all, a hundred years ago in China, women with small bound feet were considered attractive, corsets used to be sexy, in some cultures tattoos and scars on certain parts of the body are considered attractive. Considering how they are building a fictional fiction, it's entirely possible to have cultures with completely different gender roles and standards.

• Like 2

Pretty much what Umberlin said but it would be nice to see some older women too. I always think it's strange in RPG's where there are tons of old guys knocking about (mostly wizards) and no women. Especially since women tend to live longer xD

I really love Wynne and Flemeth in Dragon Age

I can agree with that.

I always wanted body builds for females as varied as the female Olympians. From the smaller petite and often flat Gymnasts to the extremely muscular weight lifters with more modest chests, to the lean and toned runners to the well formed aquatic athletes. Obviously though they shouldn't all look like sports stars, what about the short skinny librarian or the more motherly figure? And, you know what, sure, make room for the busty girl too, that's fine as long as there's variety outside of that option.

Agreed on all points. If they could fit it in their budgets, I'm really tired of seeing the same average looking guy with a bit of muscle, and the skinny girl with the huge rack.

I'd love to see short, tall, skinny, fat, muscular, etc. as options. I think NWN implemented this to some degree.

Edited by Audiocide

I just hope that Obsidian takes into consideration of how standards of gender and sex (and all social norms) are defined, why it is defined that way, and who defines them. After all, a hundred years ago in China, women with small bound feet were considered attractive, corsets used to be sexy, in some cultures tattoos and scars on certain parts of the body are considered attractive. Considering how they are building a fictional fiction, it's entirely possible to have cultures with completely different gender roles and standards.

I really liked Safiya's design in MotB for this reason.

• Like 8

I agree, I am tired of being treated like a horny teenager that only plays videogames for a chance to do "you know what" looking at some virtual boobz, please, make designs that are realistic, having women with bikini chainmail or armor cleavage is plain STUPID.

Also, try to make the female's heavy armors similar to men's ones, it would be pretty dumb to make armors with room for the breasts, as breasts aren't completely solid and they can fit without too much problem inside a breastplate that would be used by a man of the same height, and it would be worse for the user if they used didn't one like that, as the space between the breasts could guide the incoming attacks directly to the throat, owch.

Edited by Elthosian
  • Like 1

I got to agree, it would be nice to see different women with different body types for a change. For that matter it would be nice to create male characters with different body types as well. I was surprised in The Old Republic you could make a fat guy and enjoyed seeing them around in game.

Obsessing over Sword Art Online at the moment ^_^

Pretty much what Umberlin said but it would be nice to see some older women too. I always think it's strange in RPG's where there are tons of old guys knocking about (mostly wizards) and no women. Especially since women tend to live longer xD

I came here to say this.

I would really like to see old people as playable characters.

• Like 1
minichart.png

No chainmail bikini (or pointy C cup bewbs) for me please. n.n At least make these optional.

... What? They're cold in the winter time. :p Or whenever there's a light breeze... and they must rust too. Wonder what that would do to skin, especially when worn so tight... -__-'

Just imagine the pain if a woman doesn't shave regularly when wearing chain bikinis.....those little links like to grab and tangle loose strands. :(

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I came here to say this.

I agree, on the other hand if they don't actually let you play them as old, if the story never really is built for an older character and treats you like a young start up for too long? It feels off. The option, I'd love it there, but it can't just be there, the story needs to support it, or, more importantly, not contradict the choice you made.

• Like 1

Having *some* different body types is fine, but It will be very depressing if the majority of characters are fat/old/ugly and all the attractive women are covered head to toe not showing any skin.

I think we're more interested in variety rather than just popular the game with ugly characters. I think variety is a plus no?

• Like 2

Obsessing over Sword Art Online at the moment ^_^

I came here to say this.

I agree, on the other hand if they don't actually let you play them as old, if the story never really is built for an older character and treats you like a young start up for too long? It feels off. The option, I'd love it there, but it can't just be there, the story needs to support it, or, more importantly, not contradict the choice you made.

True

For example, it was possible to make an old looking dwarf avatar in Baldurs Gate, with grey hair and all, but you were supposed to be the adopted child of Gorian. But once you were past the first chapter I didnt think of the weirdness of it instead I immersed myself in the character I've made.

minichart.png

Thread pruned a bit. There is a subtle but important difference between being funny and just trying to be provocative.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This is more or less my exact thoughts on the matter. It wouldn't be realistic for their to be an entire lack of sex-appeal characters (male and female alike), but variety in body shapes would be nice.

Additional thought: something like what oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3/NV does might be pretty cool, where we can tweak all sorts of parameters for the main character's appearence.

Edited by HangedMan

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.