Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

All of the above. I enjoyed aspects of all those games--and they were pretty similar fundamentally.

Some of the titles share common qualities, but I wouldn't call them fundementally similar. KotoR is lightyears away from ToEE, for instance.

That said, I'm hoping for Eternity to take stuff from all the Infinity games - because they are indeed quite similar to each other.

Especially from Lionheart.

Say no to popamole!

In a far, far first place: Planescape Torment.

Fallout and Arcanum certainly didn't hurt, but they're distant seconds. PST remains my favorite game of all time, largely for its deeply engrossing story and fantastic writing. (Though on my approximately annual playthrough, I talk to Candrian Illbourne as little as possible. Sorry, dude, even I have limits and 50 page explanations of the planes are one of those.)

Edited by Sarathen
  • Like 1

lady of pain be praised! (oh, ****!)

planescape: torment is leading!

Edited by Gorth
Language ;)

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

Voted all of the above because it is the style and format of game that appeals to me. Throwback to RPG's of the past and the quality of them which is overlooked in modern RPG's. The genre has gone off in so many directions it has lost focus and now more often than not is merely a blend of random elements that do not achieve the best results. There is room in the market for all forms but this specific format has not been offered anywhere near as much as should be. Much like X-Com remake is doing for the turn based originals, these isometric high quality story RPGs have a demand and willing populace who will help fund and play them.

Kickstarter and indie is where most of my games come from these days because they service a form of game that publishers won't touch. I can buy my Skyrims or Mass Effects but I need variety and turn based titles and isometric RPG's are a form of game I greatly enjoy.

Now if only we can stop the trend of game franchises that start out on major systems being forced onto handhelds which they drop the major system versions all together :banghead: then I would be more happy. I hate that titles like Valkyrie Chronicles started out on PS3 got me invested in the franchise on that system and now only tends to be made for lower quality handhelds, same with many others franchises. I have bugger all intention to buy every single gaming system ever made to play games that once released on one system gets only ever having sequels on different systems.

The switching formats gets on my dam nerves. Switching genres does too. If Front Mission gets my attention and adoration for 4 or 5 games in a specific format, do not then go and turn it into a action/shooter. Same with X-Com being invested personally in the franchise because of many TBS titles please don't go changing its format to FPS. What annoys me is the fact once they change format they more often than not never go back even when sales show the new format is not what fans wanted, fans built up over many years with one format of game not the other.

Edit: I know the last two elements is quite petty of me but it's how I feel on those issues.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Despite having only scratched the surface of PS:T and having it found weird and wordy almost beyond my tastes, it is perhaps the reference that made me most interested in this project, for some reason I can't fully explain. Maybe with Dragon Age and BG:EE recently pretending to revive my favorite game ever, I'm starting to get less excited at the idea of another Baldur's Gate.

Well, story and settings-wise it is all PS:T for me. While other games provided better gameplay mechanics and combat, it was something special and personal with PS:T. It is one of the few games that shows that ignorance and evil prevail just because it is more simple and easier to do so, while actually being good was very difficult and placed a heavy burden on the player. You know, just like real life. The other part is that is due to the setting, where belief shapes reality, the player has to form their own philosophy during the playthrough which truly makes it a gem. In the end, you also *know* more about yourself than you did before. Similar role-playing can also be found in NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer.

However, i often found the combat (when it unavoidable) tedious. This is where Tim and Josh come in, they know this and they like making fun and challenging gameplay. So while i voted for PS:T, i truly wish for a somesort mishmash of all of the above.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

PST

While I spent many happy hours playing the BG and FO series, have fond memories of Arcanum, enjoyed NWN2 and KOTOR2, PST is my favourite cRPG.

I had hoped that their KS project would be another PS game, even after Chris Avellone's comments about OBS not planning to do it.

That said, was enthusiastic enough to make an early pledge, am more than happy with how PE is panning out, and pleased to see how much good will and interest there is out there in the gaming community for a decent cRPG.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

KotOR 2. The writing was exquisite. I invested in PE with the hopes that they can make a narrative as deep and thoughful as they did in KotOR 2, along with the dynamic characters and overarching story which kept you siphening through a philisophically grey mist to unravel the conflict which was intertwined with both the external and interpersonal.

• Like 1

Multiple for me: Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights 2. I'd also say their work on Alpha Protocol helped gain my confidence (I know others may say the opposite, but I really liked that game).

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I was going to try KoTOR2, but someone inadvertently spoiled me on the Exile's fate (SWTOR) so I just can't bring myself to do it.

Got ToEE from GOG, going to try that. I wanted to try FO:NV but see that it's a Steamworks thing, so..... meh.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I just ordered Planescape Torment at GOG, as I see many are acually puting it before BG series and IWD series. So I have to see what is all about.

Their mods guide is essential. :)http://www.gog.com/en/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide/

It is a very different game, I'd say polar opposite to IWD in the IE trifecta; remember to manually talk to your party members often (banter doesn't start automatically like in BG2).

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)