Stretch Goal - hire Justin Sweet to make portraits.

Justin Sweet is excellent. Icewind Dale portraits conveyed more than the character that the portrait describes, it gave depth to the atmosphere and the setting as a whole. That's the mark of good game portraits.

• Like 6

The bodies are drawn very detailed, but I found the "high res" BG2 portraits more to my liking.

They had more color and liveliness as the above example. (I just saw an Imoen Avatar above I think)

The pictures here look beautiful - yes - but a bit lifeless and more suited for nameless characters.

But that is just my opinion.

I found a lot of the BG2 portraits were really badly done. Especially Jaheira. The Icewind Dale portraits were badass and suit a darker game

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

agreed, the icewind dale 1 and 2 portraits were fantastic. i'd love to see similar quality for this new game. i think most people can agree that would be preferred over, say, the portraits from Torment...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

People are going to hate me for this I'd imagine, but as I am a custom appearance prostitute I would love a fully customizable 3d portrait head. That's just me.

Why would people hate this, I think you mean something in vein of NWN2 , and I must say I liked it , but if this is meant to be a isometric point of view than I think portraits would be better overall, althoug I won't lie is my pure nostalgia for infinity engine games.

People are going to hate me for this I'd imagine, but as I am a custom appearance prostitute I would love a fully customizable 3d portrait head. That's just me.

Why would people hate this, I think you mean something in vein of NWN2 , and I must say I liked it , but if this is meant to be a isometric point of view than I think portraits would be better overall, althoug I won't lie is my pure nostalgia for infinity engine games.

yeah maybe, I mean I always loved putting my own spin on the main character of role playing games, I never use the default head, and I love tinkering with the sliders and I thought a way that could be possible in this game would be in the portraits.

Now secondly, I am curious, seeing as this is Isometric would something like different body shapes for the characters not be more feasible than for instance in a full 3d, rotate around HD game?

Would be nice to have some choices in that regard, like: thin, medium, medium buff, really buff.

You really wouldn't be able to see much difference with 'fat bodies' or painstakingly edited 3D head 90% of the time, though.

I agree. Seldom have I seen portraits as tasteful, exotic and, in some cases, erotic (in a very good sense), while at the same time seing realistic enough for me to be thinking "Yes, that is how a Paladin would actually look like in a snowy waste." Good portraits are the first step on the road of gameplay immersion, and as such I find artistic, painted portratis to be much more to my tastes rather that any 3D nonsense thrown at me in other titles.

• Like 5

Seeing as how commissioned digital fantasy art like character portraits is probably quite cheap compared to the rest of game development, I see no reason they shouldn't try to get the best artists they can*, and Icewind Dales portraits were amazing.

*Doesn't have to be Justin Sweet (even though his stuff is amazing), but good artwork should be priority.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

I like his portraits very much, but does Obsidian have a portrait artist in-house whose portraits we'd love once we saw them? It's not that I wouldn't enjoy Justin portraits, but I don't like the idea of elbowing aside someone internal who might be looking forward to the assignment.

Edited by Lady Evenstar
  • Like 1

I wasn't that impressed with the IWD portraits, although I don't think it particularly matters. The portraits are not the most important part of the game for me as it seems to be for many of the posters here. As much as I hated Dragon Age and thought it was one of the worst games ever made, it had a great portrait creation system. So good in fact that I like to import portraits made in DA to BG2. That kind of 3D creation system is almost certainly too expensive for this project though and nearly any amount of money spent on portraits is wasted money. I'd like to see a new artist get a chance to draw some beautiful 2D portraits. Surely Obsidian already has competent 2D artists. If it turns out that those artists can't handle such things then by all means hire Sweet.

Edited by metiman

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.