Stretch Goal - hire Justin Sweet to make portraits.

don't think its gonna happen bro....

i think they're leaning more towards a ToEE style of portrait (at least judging by the second to last update).

But you never know, things are still in the early stages and even if not i'm sure someone will resize the IWD1/2 protraits to be usable in P:E.

everyday a thread concerning justin sweet gets bumped and new paintings are posted is a good day for the human race

I think you'll find it's actually just every few weeks, 3 - 4 of the same people keep bumping the same thread providing little to no actual content.

Personally I've quite liked the artwork Obsidian has shown so far. If the portraits are of the same quality as that orlan piece we saw I'll be quite happy.

Edited by Barothmuk

I'm kinda hoping we don't see any portraits. I would prefer the trait system to be quite rich, rather than por. 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

somebody should underline that there are still people like me that still wait a response regarding Justin Sweet!?

This was never an accepted/announced Stretch Goal.

I'm kinda hoping we don't see any portraits. I would prefer the trait system to be quite rich, rather than por. 8)

What's wrong with portraits? It's not like a customizable 3D character facegen would have much value in an isometric combat game, and I'd like my character to have some sort of face. And for the people who don't like any of the available portraits (if they have them,) they could just get a mystery silhouette portrait or something.

And what bearing does this have on traits? How would portraits make a trait system "poor"?

Edited by AGX-17

Personally I've quite liked the artwork Obsidian has shown so far. If the portraits are of the same quality as that orlan piece we saw I'll be quite happy.

We haven't seen much of the painted artwork from Obsidian's own artist (whoever that is--I asked about it in the #40 thread but haven't gotten an official response yet), but the original Sagani and the Orlan are great and in the vein we'd expect similar to IWD. So I think they're good there, personally. It's one thing to hire Ziets for significant narrative lore content design but another to hire an artist when there are so many and local ones that can do a great job at a fraction of the price--even better if one's already in the stable with good stuff.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

somebody should underline that there are still people like me that still wait a response regarding Justin Sweet!?

The game's still early in pre-production, so chances are it might be announced at a later date yet. It was definitely under consideration.

Very cool, just looked through a bunch of masterpieces on this guy's website.

Some of them really have the Magic:The Gathering feel to them, plus I may have recognized some of his work,  did he by any chance illustrate some cards?

That'd be correct, here's the full list :

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&artist=+[sweet]

(copy the whole link)

And what bearing does this have on traits? How would portraits make a trait system "poor"?

Literal humor. Por-traits. "Poor traits." I hope we don't have a "poor trait" system. Fun with syllables. ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"As for the artist that painted the orlan... I can say that it is the same artist that painted the image of Sagani. Rob may/may not reveal the artist in his next update. I'll leave it up to him."

A Dev comment on the new update!  Here's to hoping, it is a bit in his style.

Sauce: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63308-update-41-dd-dwarves-and-doors/

^

That Orlan and Sagani were definitely not painted by Justin Sweet. The style is completely different.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

The Japanese guy they hired is pretty good. I didn't think the Sagani portrait was amazing, but the Orlan Cipher one is really good.

I wonder what other concept/portrait artists they have up their sleeve.

The Japanese guy they hired is pretty good. I didn't think the Sagani portrait was amazing, but the Orlan Cipher one is really good.

I wonder what other concept/portrait artists they have up their sleeve.

I'm guessing we'll know about all of them soon enough, with the pre-production now in full swing. But I think Sweet won't be among them, unfortunately.

Edited by Karranthain

That concept art by Kazunori Aruga looks pretty cool too.

I like it.

And can live with it :)

What I really didn't like was the art for the characters shown during the update (you know Cadegun, etc). I hope they don't use that.

Maybe Justin can join the next time.... mmmm... BTW, who will be doing the portraits for T:ToN?

Karranthain you may just have another fight to battle :)

That's just concept art though. A lot of people have expressed a neutralish opinion of Polina's artwork (myself included), not my favourite style ... but it's concept art (for the in-game models) and so the style kind of works because they're not going to be as 'stylized' ? as a portrait or portrait concept.

Ewww... the three female concepts in the OP are just yet another example of terribly unrealistic fantasy armor that we've all seen before many times... count me out.

041_eowyn.jpg

What about this one?

Just because an artist draws armor with boobs, doesn't mean that it was their idea. Probably were just told to 'make it look sexy'.

Heheh, I like how it's the trend these days to scoff at boobplate. At least they're fully dressed, hm? (not that I prefer boobplate, just that it's not "terribly unrealistic". Go look at some mail bikini, those are TERRIBLY unrealistic.)

• Like 1

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Heheh, I like how it's the trend these days to scoff at boobplate. At least they're fully dressed, hm? (not that I prefer boobplate, just that it's not "terribly unrealistic". Go look at some mail bikini, those are TERRIBLY unrealistic.)

Any armor that presents obvious regions of concavity (and therefore vulnerability, as these regions act as a funnel to blows and are easier to penetrate) is quite unrealistic.

Quite, not terribly. 90% of male armour in games is on a similar level of realism. Anyway, those examples of boobplate are actually quite nice for their time. And to diss Sweet because of them is a bit silly.

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Any armor that presents obvious regions of concavity (and therefore vulnerability, as these regions act as a funnel to blows and are easier to penetrate) is quite unrealistic.

I imagine boobplate would delflect blows either to the side or in between, where it could be reinforced. Sloped armor, like the T 34 if you will.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I imagine boobplate would delflect blows either to the side or in between, where it could be reinforced. Sloped armor, like the T 34 if you will.

Yeah... I didn't think the female chest region was concave. Maybe he meant the contrast between the chest of the armor and the waist/hips being concave? *le shrug*