Stretch Goal - hire Justin Sweet to make portraits.

Well the environmental artist who did the work on that screeny before did an excellent job in capturing the Baldur's Gate 2 feel. Especially with the elven masonry.

Fair point - and I'm sure the portraits will be fine either way, to be honest.

Do you think announcing Sweet's involvement would bring a lot of new pledges?

I wonder if Justin Sweet knows about his fans over here waiting for him? Can't wait for his site to go back up so I can email their contact information and be like 'Hey! You need to go check out this website and see all these players supporting you and then since it's funded by us we'll just add him to the team, we don't need to check with Obsidian first :p.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I wonder if Justin Sweet knows about his fans over here waiting for him? Can't wait for his site to go back up so I can email their contact information and be like 'Hey! You need to go check out this website and see all these players supporting you and then since it's funded by us we'll just add him to the team, we don't need to check with Obsidian first :p.

Sounds like a plan, we have to do it ;)

On a more serious note, I think we should contact him - ask if he'd be available. Good idea. Or perhaps that'd be too much?

Edited by Karranthain

Personally, I really dislike his style. Too dark for me.

Even though not everybody agrees, I'd love to see more BG2 type of character portraits. They are amazing and stayed with me forever. I don't remember one portrait from IWD or NWN, they're all too "mysterious" and forgetable, which is obviously just my taste.

I actually prefer Jason Manley's portraits.

female14.jpg

Icewind Dale had a more muted color scheme though, as it was a game set in a wintery, mountainous landscape.

Baldur's Gate 1 had better portraits than BG2 in my opinion.

vg_rpg_bg1_edwin.jpgedwin.jpg

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

So I totally sent an email. I don't really expect to hear back for 'him', but i'm sure someone from his website will reply with a 'I can't answer that'. But I sent a link of this page and basically asked if he had any interest in working on this project. I figured it can't hurt to ask.

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

So I totally sent an email. I don't really expect to hear back for 'him', but i'm sure someone from his website will reply with a 'I can't answer that'. But I sent a link of this page and basically asked if he had any interest in working on this project. I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear what his stance on this matter is, though yeah, I'm guessing we'll get only 'I can't answer that'. Though who knows?

Thanks for that :)

Edited by Karranthain

True.

I wonder what Justin has been up to in these last years.

His site has been unaccessible since yesterday.

He'll announce his involvement in the PE soon!

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

;)

This is a bit much to be mere coincidence....if he took his site down temporarily he's doing something with it and I too have a feeling he'll be announced to be working on PE though I don't think it'll be stretch goal related.

And speaking of stretch goals I think it's time for a happy dance....with kickstarter at 2,772,471 we have definitely passed the 2.8 mil mark with paypal. It's time to welcome George Ziets to PE!!! So this is likely to be announced as achieved tonight. Facebook is ~1k likes off the mark but there are still some hours to go. Regardless, if it doesn't happen today it'll happen tomorrow so that's another dungeon level ready.

1zq6793.jpg

True.

I wonder what Justin has been up to in these last years.

His site has been unaccessible since yesterday.

He'll announce his involvement in the PE soon!

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

;)

This is a bit much to be mere coincidence....if he took his site down temporarily he's doing something with it and I too have a feeling he'll be announced to be working on PE though I don't think it'll be stretch goal related.

Maybe there'll be an announcement on his site, along with a new piece of concept art?

Wishful thinking or a conspiracy? You decide! ;) But yeah, the timing of it makes me wonder. I've asked Feargus about Sweet's involvement in the project some time ago - the answer was that it's been discussed by the team and that they are aware of this topic.

And speaking of stretch goals I think it's time for a happy dance....with kickstarter at 2,772,471 we have definitely passed the 2.8 mil mark with paypal. It's time to welcome George Ziets to PE!!! So this is likely to be announced as achieved tonight. Facebook is ~1k likes off the mark but there are still some hours to go. Regardless, if it doesn't happen today it'll happen tomorrow so that's another dungeon level ready.

Indeed, I'm hoping for a video from George tonight - explaining what his responsibilities will be. It's great news, I loved MotB.

And I think we'll end up with nine levels of the mega dungeon. Quite impressive.

Edited by Karranthain

Personally I think they are keeping Justin Sweet as a surprise announcement/bonus for when we'll inevitably reach the big 3.

As for the mega dungeon i think we'll manage to reach/break 10.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Personally I think they are keeping Justin Sweet as a surprise announcement/bonus for when we'll inevitably reach the big 3.

I agree and will be surprised if we reach 9. I think most of our cash flow will start coming from people who have already donated as to new backers, except for the last day. I for one will be backing the project on the final day before the kickstarter ends. The reason for this being, I need to see where I'm at financially and decide if I can afford the 250$ kickstarter or not, which is the one i'm aiming for since they upgraded that collectors book to hardcover for the 250$ backers.

Or they might keep this announcement under wraps until the last day of the Kickstarter, to help that last push?

Something to keep the morale high :

126_cairparavel.jpg

Ten levels of a dungeon would be quite impressive :) It's very possible, maybe they'll even add one right at the end as a gift to the fans?

I don't think they'll want to keep Justin Sweet secret until the last day because his announcement will undoubtedly be moving pledges forward....they'll want to give it 2 or 3 days time of influence I think.

If they do indeed keep this a secret, they probably will reveal that once they notice a decline in pledges. That sounds likely.

He's got something coming up it looks like, you can bypass that maintenance page. (Just realized that said 2009..... so I deleted it, nvm.)

Edited by Loranc

He's got something coming up it looks like, you can bypass that maintenance page. (Just realized that said 2009..... so I deleted it, nvm.)

That's 2009 though.

Yeah, for now we have to hope it's what we think it is :) Hopefully it's not just wishful thinking.

Edited by Karranthain

I agree and will be surprised if we reach 9. I think most of our cash flow will start coming from people who have already donated as to new backers, except for the last day. I for one will be backing the project on the final day before the kickstarter ends. The reason for this being, I need to see where I'm at financially and decide if I can afford the 250$ kickstarter or not, which is the one i'm aiming for since they upgraded that collectors book to hardcover for the 250$ backers.

Surprised if we reach what 9? You mean 2.9? We'll fly past and blow 2.9 out of the water.....we'll definitely reach 3.0 mil, that is just about guaranteed, 3.5 may be a bit tough but certainly doable at this point.

1zq6793.jpg