Stretch Goal - hire Justin Sweet to make portraits.

Personally I prefer the portraits of Baldur's Gate. They have more personality and emotion as they are face portraits.

vg_rpg_bg2_keldorn.jpg

3174028125_64b1924a9d.jpg

There was a nice amount of variety too (there were some unattractive female portraits for example).

Edited by Guts
  • Like 2

I'm really not a fan of the BG style. Those portraits always made me cringe for some reason. Hideous.

I don't think that much detail is necessary anyway. Not even for companions. The IWD style looked stunning and gave a good enough general idea of what a character looked like. My own imagination and the impressions I get from dialogue filled in the rest.

• Like 4

As long as they dont do that thing of using a character model as the picture like NWN2 did... I liked the pictures from baldurs gate but each to their own right? I mean Its probably not going to be complicated to drop a custom in if that is what you want to do....

I'm really not a fan of the BG style. Those portraits always made me cringe for some reason. Hideous.

I don't think that much detail is necessary anyway. Not even for companions. The IWD style looked stunning and gave a good enough general idea of what a character looked like. My own imagination and the impressions I get from dialogue filled in the rest.

As people have frequently mentioned, Sweet's portraits tell a story.

• Like 1

I'm not going to express a preference for an artist or demand that they hire so-and-so. I will say that I agree with what others have said, the female armour in the OP looks great except for the boobplates. Nay to boobplates, yay for awesome armour.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'm really tired of this boobplate drama. If there's anything wrong with them it's the fact they should be more oval towards up, so that the armor fits more women.

Anyway, let's talk about groin plate from now on

http://www.wemma.org.uk/armour.shtml

HRVIIIArmour.jpg

Ya I might have overstated it. They're both excellent, though there's something about the slightly more "blurry" look of Manley's style that I really dig.

I already mentioned it somewhere in here, but I really enjoyed the portraits in ToEE as well. It has this sparse feel that I really liked.

Edited by NoxNoctum

Thanks for postig the portrait pics Karranthain (I lost track of this thread). Yeah, he is the guy who did the portraits for Icewind Dale.

He is a good artist, but I personally do not really like his style. I can still remember booting up a game of IWD and not liking the portraits... I would prefer if he did not do the portraits for PE.

:closed:

The Icewind Dale art was nice and it fit the cold deserted setting it took place in, but I really don't think that type of artwork would fit in a high fantasy game that has similarities to the late middle ages. I expect somethinjg more vibrant, more sharp. Basically, something that is similar to the artwork made in that time period.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

The Icewind Dale art was nice and it fit the cold deserted setting it took place in, but I really don't think that type of artwork would fit in a high fantasy game that has similarities to the late middle ages. I expect somethinjg more vibrant, more sharp. Basically, something that is similar to the artwork made in that time period.

This just might change your mind :

3180187042_b11bd610cc.jpg

:)

Lovely detail on the armour.

Edited by Karranthain

Vance Kovacs has some wonderful stuff to. He would be another great addition. He's made a lot of amazing art for MTG

Speaking of which, I'm having trouble showing the enlarged versions of his stuff at his gallery. Can anyone else get it to work? When I click on one it doesn't pop up: http://www.vancekovacs.com/

Edited by NoxNoctum

Vance Kovacs has some wonderful stuff to. He would be another great addition. He's made a lot of amazing art for MTG

Speaking of which, I'm having trouble showing the enlarged versions of his stuff at his gallery. Can anyone else get it to work? When I click on one it doesn't pop up: http://www.vancekovacs.com/

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I'm only able to see thumbnails.

What's MTG?

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I'm only able to see thumbnails.

What's MTG?

It's a collectible card game.

Check this list.

Edited by Karranthain

all those IWD2 portraits are so great

you look at them and almost instantly have a character in mind with a certain personality and a backstory that fits the portrait

really inspiring

far superior to the baldurs gate ones in my humble opinion (the portraits in neverwinter nights 1 are outright ugly!)

but i liked the dwarven ranger very much too, so i'm confident obsidian will have some great portraits even without mr. sweet :)

all those IWD2 portraits are so great

you look at them and almost instantly have a character in mind with a certain personality and a backstory that fits the portrait

really inspiring

Indeed, just take a look at this one :

027_drow1.jpg

Even if I don't like the Drow myself ;)

I have to say that the Icewind Dale 2 portraits really sparked my imagination and I found myself building characters around those portraits that I might not otherwise have thought up. I am all for Justin Sweet he is awesome. :)

My favourite was probably this one. She was always my cleric of Selune :3

female14.jpg

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

I have to say that the Icewind Dale 2 portraits really sparked my imagination and I found myself building characters around those portraits that I might not otherwise have thought up. I am all for Justin Sweet he is awesome. :)

My favourite was probably this one.

female14.jpg

That is actually Jason Manley's work, he made the Icewind Dale I portraits.

They do have a slightly similar style though :)