Stretch Goal - hire Justin Sweet to make portraits.

We need more Justin Sweet in this topic :

3180187042_b11bd610cc.jpg

Perhaps the best Paladin portrait ever.

i always liked this pic but is this book levitating cuz i can see his hands holding it also left arm is somewhat strange

Yeah, the arm's slightly too long I think. Still an amazing piece of artwork, however. I particularly like the armour design. And the fact that the portrait screams "Icewind Dale".

Edited by Karranthain

I liked the concept art in update #2. I would be totally fine with art like that for portraits and stuff.

But I gotta agree, Sweet has some unique and really eye-pleasing art.

• Like 2

The bodies are drawn very detailed, but I found the "high res" BG2 portraits more to my liking.

They had more color and liveliness as the above example. (I just saw an Imoen Avatar above I think)

The pictures here look beautiful - yes - but a bit lifeless and more suited for nameless characters.

But that is just my opinion.

Personally I don't like the BG2 portraits. especially compared to Icewind Dale ones. There are maybe one or two portraits in BG2 that are just barely passable....maybe that's an exaggeration but the Icewind Dale ones have a better style, atmosphere, and aesthetic.

I would to see this happen.

When I booted IWD up back then the first time, I was awestruck by the sheer awesomeness of the artistic style on the portraits. Its an art style that really "does it" for me.

Thumbs up.

minichart.png

These pics bring back great memories of IWD. I remember fiddling around during the early internet days to track down BG2 suitable versions of his images.

Definitely yes.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

That would be cool indeed.

I don't want Obsidian limiting their options though.

:cat: Much as I love Sweet's work I also have to think of this. Maybe we could get portraits as stretch goals from whomever they are getting their art from now?

How much money do we need for Boris Vallejo?

EDIT: and before someone sneers, Vallejo made a quite a few covers for legendary games

Interesting. I like his work better than Sweet's. It reminds me a bit of David Sutherland's famous cover illustration on the second edition Dungeon Master's Guide.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Anything but the god-awful Baldur's Gate 2 style. Never again.

All the other games; the Original Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 1/2; all of those had amazing portraits. I loved them. Just give me lots and lots of choices, at least two for every single class/race combination, four counting gender.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg