Bring in BioWare or Other Legendary Designers as Stretch Goal

More designers/writers as a stretch goal  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want legendary BioWare designers to take part in the development of PE?

• Yes, bring in everyone willing!
    • Yes, but bring in only those who worked on the BG series and/or the Infinity Engine
    • No, this game should be made by Obsidian exclusively.

I voted yes. Hypothetically speaking if Obsidian needed assistance around development, which I'm sure they don't,why wouldn't you bring in other skilled developers. Biowares perceived failures are not around the coding of there games but the direction and change of the gameplay. Also if anything I would blame EA for this and not Bioware.

Bioware is no longer with EA. The name, yes, but the original talents are all gone now. Just like they do with every other dev they bought over, they take the IP and let go of the people.

Regardless of my opinion on BioWare's designers (I think there are some pretty smart guys there actually, among the guys they recently got on board too, like Manveer Heir), I don't think it would be possible to get them on board due to contractual issues (BioWare is, after all, owned by EA). Besides, I'm fairly sure they've got their hands full.

Apparently you've never touched Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, Bruce :D

No I haven't play ME in MP. But is that a example for bad coding? I know many stable single player games that become problematic in MP

In fact one positive thing I will say about Bioware is that with DA1&2 and all the ME I had almost no crashes. The games were very stable. Isn't that a sign of good development skills?

It's one thing to make a game stable and another to make it bug-free entirely.

I agree completely. But now we are on a slippery slope. If a game is judged on bugs, and we are saying that Bioware developers aren't wanted because there games are full of bugs what do we think of Obsidians games,are we saying they are bug-free?

My point is every game has bugs, and I still maintain that Bioware does have skilled developers. The issue for me has always been the "dumbed down" games they released from DA1 onwards

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Regardless of my opinion on BioWare's designers (I think there are some pretty smart guys there actually, among the guys they recently got on board too, like Manveer Heir), I don't think it would be possible to get them on board due to contractual issues (BioWare is, after all, owned by EA). Besides, I'm fairly sure they've got their hands full.

If they were smart, they wouldn't be working for EA, lke Brent Knowles, Trent Oster, Drew Karpyshyn or these guys:

http://www.indiegame...he-banner-saga/

http://www.escapistm...are-Hello-Indie

There's no future to be had there, only layoffs.

Edited by D3xter

Layoffs are common pretty much everywhere in this industry except maybe at Valve. MAYBE. That's not really a good argument to attack a developer. Now, I'm not a fan of BioWare's post-DA:O input, and I had my gripes about their previous 3d titles, but to argue that only stupid people work there is absolutely madness.

• Like 1

Yeah, Obsidian has gone through some rounds of layoffs too over the years. Never pleasant. Doesn't mean the people still working there aren't smart.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

L0L Bashing BIO yet Obsidian is using BIO's ahrd work with the IE/BG to try to sell this kickstarter. Even try to take the credit for BG. Heh.

You know that BG was released years ago when Bioware was totally different than it is now, right?

If they were smart, they wouldn't be working for EA, lke Brent Knowles, Trent Oster, Drew Karpyshyn or these guys:

http://www.indiegame...he-banner-saga/

http://www.escapistm...are-Hello-Indie

There's no future to be had there, only layoffs.

Companies struggle and layoffs happen. That doesn't mean these people are not smart.

This may sound bitter,but how about we add a stretch goal to remove the suck out of Dragon Age 2?

Yes, it sounds bitter ;)

Maybe add some constructive feedback on the appropriate community boards? As far as I know, they make no secret of to do some degree being driven by fan feedback. It might make a difference for DA3.

Edit: Let's try to stick to the topic. Bashing Bioware gets tiresome to listen to.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Very rarely do I see someone suggest something that is both factually impossible and a really bad idea at the same time, yet this qualifies (ok, I actually see it quite often, but it's always with politicians who think the rules of economics don't apply to decisions they make).

Like hot dogs and milk shakes, Obsidian and Bioware are best enjoyed separately (albeit possibly very close to each other, and from the same table in the same restaurant, see KOTOR and NWN). :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think the question insulting, even if it isn't meant that way.

We just gave the obsidian team a ****load of money to make a great game. In a lot of ways, the money means trust.

And now a proposal to hire outside talent for the realization of their own idea, their own game they haven't even really begun working on? It just doesn't make sense for us, the uninvolved (in a production sense), to propose that.

1) Like all 'supergroups' in the music industry, it wouldn't do much.

2) Obsidian and Bioware have two completely different visions on what they wish to accomplish.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This may sound bitter,but how about we add a stretch goal to remove the suck out of Dragon Age 2?

Yes, it sounds bitter ;)

Maybe add some constructive feedback on the appropriate community boards? As far as I know, they make no secret of to do some degree being driven by fan feedback. It might make a difference for DA3.

Edit: Let's try to stick to the topic. Bashing Bioware gets tiresome to listen to.

Well,this IS my indirect answer to the question of the topic,as inelegant as it may be.

This project is Obsidian's baby, their first home grown IP.

There's no need to involve Bioware (and especially EA) in any way.

Exactly. The original Bioware is long dead. The Bioware we have now is EA.

I can't believe people want this game to have anything to do with EA. No one ruins a franchise faster than EA does. Not to mention that this project is now crowd funded, so it cannot have anything to do with any other publishing companies.

Let Obsidian do their job. No need for other company to mess things up. :banghead:

I think the question insulting, even if it isn't meant that way.

We just gave the obsidian team a ****load of money to make a great game. In a lot of ways, the money means trust.

And now a proposal to hire outside talent for the realization of their own idea, their own game they haven't even really begun working on? It just doesn't make sense for us, the uninvolved (in a production sense), to propose that.

I fail to see how the suggestion is insulting in anyway to Obsidian. Any Kickstarter project is funded by the fans, what would be insulting if is a development team doing a KS project didn't have the skills or enough resources to either

• deliver what is expected to the investors
  • couldn't get the game ready at ETA

And now that development doesn't feel the need to bring in extra assistance from any other company, including ex-Bioware developers. That would be insulting to the fans.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela