Bring in BioWare or Other Legendary Designers as Stretch Goal

More designers/writers as a stretch goal  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want legendary BioWare designers to take part in the development of PE?

• Yes, bring in everyone willing!
    • Yes, but bring in only those who worked on the BG series and/or the Infinity Engine
    • No, this game should be made by Obsidian exclusively.

About the only Bioware designer I'd like to see is whoever designed the Charwood and Jhareg's Castle quests in the original NWN. Provided the person is still working there, of course.

• Like 1

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

In the hypothetical situation that BioWare and EA agree to let one of BioWare's designers to come work on PE with Obsidian, that could only be good news for the project. Hype and pledges will go up, thereby allowing more and better content to be released in the game, people will talk even more of this phenomenal RPG in the making, it'll all feel like a big high-school reunion. :biggrin:

L0L Bashing BIO yet Obsidian is using BIO's ahrd work with the IE/BG to try to sell this kickstarter. Even try to take the credit for BG. Heh.

I would have to partially agree. Which is why I'm saying that they shouldn't. This way when Project Eternity turns out to be a great success (and it better, damnit) Obsidian can legitimately take all the credit for itself.

The Bioware hate seems strong in this thread.

Didn't vote in the poll, don't care either way. It'd be great, but no biggie otherwise. Though, I would wonder to what extend the budget would be utilized to procure those people (considering how a number of them have jobs elsewhere.)

About the only Bioware designer I'd like to see is whoever designed the Charwood and Jhareg's Castle quests in the original NWN. Provided the person is still working there, of course.

God, I loved those quests. I have a hard time remembering the main plot from NWN sometimes, but those quests... Unforgetable.

Edited by silvercross

"No, please don't. I love BioWare, I really do, but if I wanted another BioWare game (and I do, please BioWare make more games) I'd go to BioWare. I want an Obsidian game. More than that, I want a game with focus. Too many people with too many ideas, no matter how great, are going to dilute the theme of the world. I'd worry the whole flavour of the game would shift more towards an all inclusive vanilla. I don't know what flavour we're getting but whatever it is, I want it strong."

Exactly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't believe they are facing any dearth when it comes to talent. It's their time to shine.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I did not vote as I feel it is up to the Obsidian execs to decide who should be on their team. It is a team and the people must be able to work together. Making the team top heavy could be a mistake. My opinion is the should hire good, the best possible second and lower tier workers. People who know what they are doing rather than go searching for high salaried stars.

Leave it up to Obsidian.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

You guys need to be specific when you are talking about Bioware. The former Bioware or the current Biorware?

The actual Bioware have been bought over by EA and for all practical purposes, no longer exist. The original Bioware company was broken up although EA retained the name. Now, more than 50% of EA games are made by "Bioware". They now makes games like Command and Conquer F2P!

I have a suspicion that you guys are not talking about that Bioware that makes F2P games. :)

The original Bioware no longer exist.

Edited by Hornet85
  • Like 1

You guys need to be specific when you are talking about Bioware. The former Bioware or the current Biorware?

The actual Bioware have been bought over by EA and for all practical purposes, no longer exist. The original Bioware company was broken up although EA retained the name. Now, more than 50% of EA games are made by "Bioware". They now makes games like Command and Conquer F2P!

I have a suspicion that you guys are not talking about that Bioware that makes F2P games. :)

Exactly. All the talent Bioware had is gone long ago. So there is no real need to involve them anyway.

Exactly. All the talent Bioware had is gone long ago. So there is no real need to involve them anyway.

Especially with the word 'Designers' in the title.

The only reason the inXile+MCA thing worked out anyway was because their offices are relatively close to each other. Compare that to say hiring Gaider, who for all his faults managed to produce BG2. He will have to fly from canada all the time if he wants to be a serious member of the team, which I find unrealistic.

Bioware has their own fantasy IP to worry about and from my understanding, some of that writing staff got pulled to work on TOR for a bit. I like Bioware's story telling like I like any other stupid form of entertainment I just enjoy and do not think about how dumb and shallow it is.

Obsidian though, does the good, smart, deep stuff .They just seem really good at taking their time with and thinking about what they're putting in that story. Even when they are rushed to complete something, they still seem to manage to create stories I love.

I say it's about time that they take another crack at their own IP again, they don't really need to invite anymore people in.

water is good

I'm not opposed to the idea. I don't think the individual Bioware writers and designers have "lost their skill" over the years, but I do think that their corporate goals imposes limitations on what they are allowed to do, resulting in products that may be at odds with what people here would like to see. Would be interesting to see what they could come up with if "unshackled". I for one enjoyed both BG2 and BG1 (when I finally got around to play it years later).

Edit: I thought of master Wade (the smith) in DA:O as a cry for help with his "they don't let me make any quality anymore" dialogues.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 years ago... I would have agreed and cried out for such a thing.

Bioware isn't certainly not dead in my eyes but they have changed.

They aren't what they were before.

So now? Get the frack away from this, Bioware/EA :p

Edited by Savber

Well, this idea isn't about bringing any Bio employee, it's about bringing the minds behind BG1 and BG2, right?

The thing is, many of those guys have already left the company for whatever other things. Just about the only prominent contributor that remains is David Gaider; and considering Obsidian's greatest strength is in writing, it's not really going to improve things. Add in the practical difficulties and I don't really see the point.

Absolutely not. "Bioware" is long gone, it's a brand name EA slaps on studios while it's churning out endless weak titles. Ever since EA took over, the games have been becoming increasingly crappy, and gravitating towards Actiony mechanics instead of RPG mechanics.

Hire old Bioware employees, sure. Work with EA? Absolutely not.

• Like 1