Bring in BioWare or Other Legendary Designers as Stretch Goal

More designers/writers as a stretch goal  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want legendary BioWare designers to take part in the development of PE?

• Yes, bring in everyone willing!
    • Yes, but bring in only those who worked on the BG series and/or the Infinity Engine
    • No, this game should be made by Obsidian exclusively.

This has been going great so far, but what if even more of the legendary designers of godly RPGs can be drawn to Project Eternity? We have Josh, Chris and Tim, but what about someone who has worked on the Baldur's Gate series? Maybe we could bring in more great designers/writers to this game by reaching a stretch goal, just the way Chris Avellone got added to the Wasteland 2 team.

Someone already mentioned the possibility of inviting George Ziets to Eternity.

What about a stretch goal that adds people from the BioWare team who were responsible for the amazing BG series, as well as for the engine that started it all - the legendary Infinity? I know I'd like James Ohlen on board, and even if that won't be easy, nothing is impossible.

I don't feel like adding more top-tier talent would result in much net improvement considering that team already in place. I trust them completely as it is, and I wouldn't want any of them to compromise any of their ideas because there are too many people with a say at the top.

• Like 1

Me, summed up in less than 50 words:

PHP | cRPGs | Daft Punk | Dominion | WKUK | Marvel Comics | INTP | Python | Symphonic Metal | Breakfast Tacos | Phenomenology | Cards Against Humanity | Awkward Hugs | Scott Pilgrim | Voluntaryism | Dave Chappelle | Calvin and Hobbes | Coffee | Doctor Who | TI-BASIC | eBooks | Jeans | Fantasy Short Stories | Soccer | Mac 'N Cheese | Stargate | Hegel | White Mountains | SNES | Booty Swing | Avocado |

Way I see it, this is Obsiidian's baby. They can hire people, but renting Kanedans via telecommuniting doesn't seem...clean, eh?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

previous obsidian and black isle staff yes. If obsidian are able to recruit any other top level people who will make the game better I'm not too fussed about what company they used to work for.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Legends tend to overshadow what's going on. I mean who are we talking about here? Andy Hollis? Richard Garriott? Sid Meier? :biggrin: I kid, but it shouldn't be hard to see how bizarre that sounds.

That said, something relatively minor like commissioned character portraits could be fun.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Good RPGs benefit from guys like Jason Anderson, Brian Mitsoda, Leonard Boyarsky, George Ziets...

Do you truly wish to have romances taken in "wildly different directions, from the virginal girl next door to let's have it on the go right here"?

Edited by Djole

L0L Bashing BIO yet Obsidian is using BIO's ahrd work with the IE/BG to try to sell this kickstarter. Even try to take the credit for BG. Heh.

Well, that's part of the reason I'm suggesting this. If PE is really about being a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine (created by Bio) games, namely IWD, PS:T and BG, wouldn't it be better for the development team to represent this? I know this is an Obsidian idea, but the same could be said about Wasteland 2 being a inXile idea. Still, that didn't stop the guys there from taking Obsidian's Chris Avellone to do some work on the game's design. I don't see a problem with that.

May I also say that the addition of Chris to the Wasteland 2 team was in fact done as a stretch goal and the project got considerably more backing in a short amount of time solely because of the fans' reaction to the names of Chris and Obsidian.

What makes you think the addition of, say, James Ohlen from BioWare (who was the Lead Designer of Baldur's Gate 2) to the PE team will be somehow worse than the addition of Chris from Obsidian to the Wasteland 2 team?

Edited by Vatdim

The PE team doesn't need more design talent from yesteryear; our cup already runneth over on that front, and too many head chefs may spoil the broth. Bringing in Bio talent will almost certainly only wind up muddling the vision Obsidian has for the game. What we really need is to have talented young professionals with varied and wide-ranging backgrounds and design skills. We should spend less time concerned about which big-name RPG mavens will be in charge of the general course the game will be taking, seeing as we already know PE is flush with design wisdom and talent, and more time helping those same people get in contact with the animators, programmers, artists, and voice actors whose presence, while perhaps less notable and sexy than that of Ohlen or Ziets, will greatly affect the final quality of the game.

That said, if we're throwing in potential names into the pot, Brian Mitsoda's presence would not be remiss, even if it's split with his work on Dead State.

Edited by LadySpace
  • Like 1

I haven't earned an entertaining and meaningful signature yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will indeed.

No, please don't. I love BioWare, I really do, but if I wanted another BioWare game (and I do, please BioWare make more games) I'd go to BioWare. I want an Obsidian game. More than that, I want a game with focus. Too many people with too many ideas, no matter how great, are going to dilute the theme of the world. I'd worry the whole flavour of the game would shift more towards an all inclusive vanilla. I don't know what flavour we're getting but whatever it is, I want it strong.

Does this unit have a soul?