Do we want elves and dwarves?

Do we want elves and dwarfs?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Do we really want the "traditional" tolkienesque races?

• Yes, I think the traditional races are good mainstays
    • I like them, but prefer them in a subverted, non-traditional form
    • I only like Dwarves
    • I only like Elves
    • I dont care
    • I dislike the traditional races
    • I hate the traditional races, they are in everything and feel like something a publisher would forcibly include in a setting, regardless of original vision.
    • Other, i will explain in the comments
    • I dont dislike the traditional races, but i do want new races to explore

As the title says. I've tried to make the poll as wide as possible, though my personal bias can be found in one of the answers. If you guys think this is a bad poll I'll remove it.

After looking through some of the comments for the stretch goals update I found that several people disliked the traditional races common in fantasy settings, namely elves and dwarves.

Elves and Dwarves are in nearly every western fantasy setting, so much so that in fact a few newer rpgs, like dragon age, has gone out to subvert the tropes, and quite a few people are heavily tired of generic Beardfist Hammerbeards and Siovalos, archer of the woods archetypes.

I think obsidian would be a great fit to make a completely exotic world, and I know for sure that I'd love to play and immerse myself in it.

It would sure be nice to get a general feel of what people want though, so I made this poll.

Edited by Telefax

Elfs are like humans with pointy ears and dwarfs are midgets. Still both are basicaly human. What I liked in Planescape was the fact that characters were so discint.

Annah - tiefling

Morte -flying skull

Fall-From-Grace - succubus

etc.

Basicaly they were very disticnt from typical humans and therefore could be viewed as truly different race of beings opposed to just being slightly different humans.

Edited by Aoha
  • Like 4

I say pull a White Wolf and use the traditional tropes for fantasy races and have them as distinct cultures of the races and then throw in a couple original takes as well. For example, nature worshipping elves, wise immortals who see themselves as the past and retreat in favor of humans, badass archer/dual wielders killing any who enter their woodland areas, dark elves, etc. All the same race, but different cultures and nations with their own histories and reasons for why they are how they are.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Do them right, and absolutely. I have no doubt obsidian can do elves and dwarfs right. Honestly though, I'd rather see some at least semi-original playable races. Would be a nice change compared to humans/elves/dwarfs, but I'm fine if that how its done.

Also I would like to see centaur like creatures as a major race, if not a playable one.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Traditional races are what they are, Traditional, people are used with it and everyone knows what an elf is, what a dwarf is, how they usually behave.Now creating lots of new races, that would need maybe more money and time than what obsidian will have, and also elf and dwarfs are supposed to have lots of different behavior, like the human race, so you only get tired from it, if the guy that writes about them isn't very good at writing, which I don't think will be a big concern with the team working in this game.

Also with Torment the different races worked out, because they already had a setting for it, with lots of lore from the Planescape D&D.Now creating lots of different stuff from 0, that's hard...

Edited by Nigro

I voted that I dislike the traditional races. But that's untrue. I just think that fantasy needs to explore new (or at least newish) race ideas.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It would be nice to see the 'traditional' races, but taken more to extremes.

Take elves for example: generally tall, lithe, mysterious forest dwellers, often distrusted by humans. Why not expand on that and instead of having them as tall, pretty, magical versions of humans, focus more on the strange and alien aspect of them. Imagine a cross between 'greys' and Slenderman. Tall, terrifiying creatures that live in the forest and are hardly ever seen, but are known from stories to abduct travellers.

Dwarves could almost be living stone. Imagine the scene from Aliens where they're walking through the corridors and we see the xenomorphs coming out of the walls, but make the walls stone and the xenomorphs short, rocky humanoids.

The races wouldn't necessarily be malevolent, but they also wouldn't necessarily have the same thought processes and morals as humans.

Just my $0.02

• Like 9

Would be fun to be the first adventurers in a thousand years to meet the mysterious dwarves, only to find that they are just that, short humans. Not just to the extent of, say, the pygmies, but more along the lines of a tribe of labradors discovering the existence of chihuahuas. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

If this game is going to be a high fantasy game, then it should include dwarves and elves in my opinion. Not having dwarves and elves in a high fantasy game would be like having a game based on greek mythology - but without medusae, Pegasus, cyclops, Zeus and the like.

I really like elves and dwarves and all of the lore that surrounds these species. I would really like to have them in the game as playable characters.

:closed:

People find easier to relate to humanoid beings, be it fantasy or sci-fi. You could create a truly alien being (not just the body) but it's too risky if you are planning to use it as PC/companion.

I can understand people wanting something different "for a change" the same as other people want more of the same. If Obsidian tries to do something new and people don't like it (new isn't always success), people will complain about why not stick to the classics. Giving the classic races some twists is good for me. I liked those elves that cannot stand iron or sacred stuff.

And which are our options if Obsidian doesn't do the classics*? Mantis warriors? Lizard people? Catfolk? (if there is poll, I want these) Avians? (which wouldn't fly so meh) Centaurs? Mindflayers? Treefolk? Elementals?

Oh, tieflings are just humans with demonic/devilish traces on them. Succubus? Human with demonic traits. So not so different from elves or dwarves. Just saying.

* elves seem to be in anyways

Yes, people find it easier to relate to humanoids, and that said, any playable race probably needs to be humanoid. But that doesnt mean that we should recycle tolkiens material, or that everything needs to have exactly human features. You can make some good, new-ish races if you are willing to. Mass effect had them in spades, the Qunari redesign in DA2, was one of the better aspects of that game, and I have found that i like a lot of the nonhuman races in japanese rpgs that feel like something that has had design into it and not just fan service (last remnant, ivalice, for example)

I like them, but prefer them in a subverted, non-traditional form

I would like to see some suggestions, seeing that this seems to be the most popular option atm.

So like "anti alcoholic tree dwarves" or "pacifist demonic hell elves" or something? :3

:closed:

I'm not a big fan of non-humanoid races in a fantasy setting. If they can think up unique enough humanoid races that haven't been done yet, good for them, I'd love to see them; otherwise, I'm cool with the standard ones.

Me, summed up in less than 50 words:

PHP | cRPGs | Daft Punk | Dominion | WKUK | Marvel Comics | INTP | Python | Symphonic Metal | Breakfast Tacos | Phenomenology | Cards Against Humanity | Awkward Hugs | Scott Pilgrim | Voluntaryism | Dave Chappelle | Calvin and Hobbes | Coffee | Doctor Who | TI-BASIC | eBooks | Jeans | Fantasy Short Stories | Soccer | Mac 'N Cheese | Stargate | Hegel | White Mountains | SNES | Booty Swing | Avocado |

I like them, but prefer them in a subverted, non-traditional form

I would like to see some suggestions, seeing that this seems to be the most popular option atm.

So like "anti alcoholic tree dwarves" or "pacifist demonic hell elves" or something? :3

I for one wouldn't mind seeing orcs that aren't brutal killers, but rather fair, civilized people who just happen to be butt-****ing-ugly and perhaps (perhaps) physically stronger than most.

Typically it's:

Humans = Flawed and resourceful

Elves = "Perfect" and above humans somehow

Dwarves = Live underground and are short. Also smart and good engineers. Literally that's that

Orcs = Brutal, evil, mindless and ugly

I wouldn't mind seeing that switched up a bit. Let orcs be considered "perfect" because they're physically stronger and mentally equal, but don't make them lord it over the other races like jerks (save for a racist here and there). Make elves more like tribals who prefer to live off the land than research and create, make Dwarves....hell if I know, they've never really been anything but their initial stereotype...Dwarves basically ARE elves that are just shorter, live underground and are decent engineers...

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

"I for one wouldn't mind seeing orcs that aren't brutal killers, but rather fair, civilized people who just happen to be butt-****ing-ugly and perhaps (perhaps) physically stronger than most."

These exist in D&D/FR already. Not new.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I for one wouldn't mind seeing orcs that aren't brutal killers, but rather fair, civilized people who just happen to be butt-****ing-ugly and perhaps (perhaps) physically stronger than most."

These exist in D&D/FR already. Not new.

D'awww :C

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?