Armour and weapon designs - a plea.

I demand a khopesh. Also that "spongey mjolnir" be an artifact weapon in game.

6mejife9pfgloxsltaix.jpg

Urumis would also be cool but probably impossible to implement.

p0r7fcglixo3rmixcusm.jpg

I love them both.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I say have the equipment make sense. I don't want to see Katanas in every shop because Katanas are popular with the gaming crowd. Foreign weapons and such you might see in some sort of curio shop or something, but its not like these foreign countries across the world are mass producing weapons for export.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I would probably kill myself trying to operate that Urumis.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I hate ludicrous weapons.

Even if you have ridiculously strong characters and exotic materials, I don't think you'd end up with swords shaped like 20ft ornate meat cleavers, or see all kinds of non-functional shapes.

That said, I'd love to see some interesting weapons from non-European heritages.

I'd also like to see swords done right -- not every melee weapon should be driven by strength, at least past a certain point. I'd love to see rapiers that fought like rapiers.

OP I support you 10000000000%.

Form follows function. I want swrods and weapons that feel like they were made to be used in actual combat.

Funcitonal armors. Well-balanced swrods.

Greatswords that aren't giant slabs of metal (tehy are actualyl quite nimble). Two-handed axes and hammers that arne't oversized and that don't use the same animation as a greatsword.

THIS:

zweihander.jpg

zwei2.jpg

p9160037.jpg

Is a two-handed sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOutRhR10pQ

Not the crap in many other games

Edited by TrashMan
  • Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

wayne_reynolds_dark_elf_by_inkmo-d364qv8.png

Armor changed, evolved and improved over history of humanity and there are a few factors that had a tremendous impact on this evolution.

• The development of different types, and more effective weapons: Weapons such as swords, spears, daggers and polearms all changed over the centuries, in part to achieve effectiveness against armor. The longbow and crossbow were very effective against varying armor types and new armor had to be developed to counter these weapons. This changing and evolving between weapons and armor were what could be called an arms race – weapons would improve then armor would improve then weapons had to improve and so on.

• Developments in metal working skills – as we moved out of the bronze age and into the iron age the new ways of working with metals made stronger armor and gave armies technologies to make more effective armor.

• Changing philosophies and cultures – these things also had a big impact on how armor changed.

• Tactics and warfare paradigm change

• Social formations changing

• Fashion change

• Theater of war ( landshaft, climate etc)

• Gunpowder eventually put an end to armor

Realistic armor and weapon can be only in Historical setting. It's impossible in fantasy setting with magic, weird cultures and races. You just can't take into account all of the factors.

P.S. Your eclectic mix from Early Medieval armor and Renaissance weapons make me lol.

Either way, impractical armour makes me lol.

I think it looks bad and makes the setting less believable. imo.

I guess I should add that gun powder didn't really put an end to armour, not right away anyway, but it did revert back to iron as opposed to steel, since it was denser, dense enough to stop the ball from a fusil but since it was heavier they ended up mostly wearing breastplates and helmets, much like today's modern infantrman.

But that's pedantry, added only as a point of interest, I do agree that many things impact the advancement of armour and that it's impossible to tell what direction things would do if magic was a factor, not to mention the in game cultures among other things.

I suppose it's a moot point, but I do know what I likes, y'know?

Edited by -TK-
  • Like 1

The call of the deep.

Realistic armor and weapon can be only in Historical setting. It's impossible in fantasy setting with magic, weird cultures and races. You just can't take into account all of the factors.

Actually, the idea here is not realistic per se, as outlined in a few posts. The idea is that the designs can be practical and believable, while still retaining an appealing look.

P.S. Your eclectic mix from Early Medieval armor and Renaissance weapons make me lol.

As you've said, it's not a historical setting. Once again, it's not about realism; it's about designs that are appealing to the eye. And historical arms and armour are just a good inspiration.

Edited by Karranthain

Either way, impractical armour makes me lol.

I think it looks bad and makes the setting less believable. imo.

I guess I should add that gun powder didn't really put an end to armour, not right away anyway, but it did revert back to iron as opposed to steel, since it was denser; dense enough to stop the ball from a fusil but since it was heavier they ended up mostly wearing breastplates and helmets, much like today's modern infantryman.

But that's pedantry, added only as a point of interest, I do agree that many things impact the advancement of armour and that it's impossible to tell what direction things would go if magic was a factor, not to mention the in game cultures among other things.

I suppose it's a moot point, but I do know what I likes, y'know?

Sorry I had to edit my typos, but there seems to be a timeout on the forum's edit function for some reason.

I agree though, the armour has to be consistent with the game's various cultures and also seem practical in order to invest people like you and I that little bit further.

The devil is in the detail and all of these factors can either take away from or add to the immersion immeasurably.

The call of the deep.

Plate armor required someone to help put it on. Can you imagine how much effort some of these fantasy armors would require? Many of them seem to have a whole lot MORE pieces (and in odd places) than typical plate. Obviously, I'm not talking about the fantasy "armor" that somehow protects while remaining unseen.

I prefer variety in form to 1543 types of glowing oversized magical longsword. Isometric should make this easier : for example the Infinity Engine games had flails, Skyrim doesn't, because in the former you just needed sprites and stats whereas in the later it's a physics engine nightmare. The best example I can think of isn't an RPG at all; the Soul Calibur series has a large variety of edged weapons, from historically accurate to exotic ones (bladed tonfa, whip swords and ring blades), while generally staying fairly restrained on size and gratuitous glowiness.

300px-Lord_of_Mankind_zps2a280a10.jpg

Can't we all just look like the God-Emperor of Mankind and be happy? w00t.gif

I'm pretty sure that's a midget with joysticks driving some sort of robot. In other words, an armor suite mecha.

Not sure how I feel about adding that to the game. It's only a step away from wizards with AT-STs. Which I guess would make it Howl's Moving Castle?