Armour and weapon designs - a plea.

That and similar pages have been posted in threads along these lines. There have been a few topics about female armor.

They...ended rather badly. Sort of along the lines of the current threads regarding romance discussions.

I don't think we have to worry much about bikini armor being in the game, though.

That's because weapon advances generally influenced the armour design as well. It simply makes sense.

Quite true, and that should be taken account in world building, I agree. However there is much more the the aesthetics of a culture than the basic weapon and armor designs. I'm saying that just because you have guns does not necessarily mean you also have powdered wigs, clothes with frills, and a dueling culture. If you enjoy renaissance or age of sail aesthetics then it's simply a matter of preference, of course.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Just derailing a little bit - I wish all topics were this civilised :)

Also, Sharmat's onto something. I'd love to see outlandish and lavish, fantastic design in the game but still retain a practical design ethos. The two are not mutually exclusive

I approve of your ideas and wish to subscribe to your news letter.

How about some weapon related feats as well? Spend a skill point or whatever and certain axes/pole-arms could have a "hooking" effect, allowing you to temporarily negate the enemy's shield or parry?

I'll be exapanding that topic soon, that's a good idea :) One way to do that would be to open up new attacks with increased weapon proficiency (or just making them harder to perform without it).

How about using some attacks require another attack feat to have successfully landed first? Then you could actually have a sequence like slash/parry/riposte? Would give fighters a lot more to do.

Moving this discussion here : http://forums.obsidi...cs/page__st__20 to not derail the topic :)

Edited by Karranthain

Yes, keep everything looking decent. Trash the typical fantasy armors (especially the ultra-stupid female "armor") and weapons. I've no idea why fantasy has been associated with twelve foot long swords, axes that have heads larger than a car, and armor that fails to provide as much protection as a T-shirt. Baldur's Gate I and II were good at avoiding this, as was Neverwinter Nights 2, and that was a bonus to the game. Honestly, if all the women had to wear chainmail bikinis and stuff in those games, I'd never have played them as it would have been way too stupid. I literally hate seeing that in games. So please, please, please keep some semblance of reality. Fantasy doesn't mean stupidity!

• Like 1

While I like some armors in Dark Souls, the armor design in that game is quite uneven, mixing great stuff to cheesy one.

I personally hate execeedingly "over the top" styles for equipment, armors, weapon.

I don't demand absolute realism, but I like things simple and believable.

Personally I would namedrop The Witcher 2 as the unmatched god-tier of armor design in RPGs so far. In fact a couple of days ago reading about the "twitter love story" between GoG and Obsidian I was just suggesting on NeoGAF that reaching an agreement with CD Projekt RED and hiring their armor designer would be a *killer* extended goal for this Kickstarter.

That said, here's another artist with a very cool and simple style.

Stuff like this is what I like. Oversized pauldrons, draedric/glass armors in TES and so on are just crap, as far as I'm concerned.

hi everyone!

It would be cool that the torso area have 2 layers of armor....like in the real world.

For example chainmail 1st layer, cuirass 2nd layer; this will add more deep customization. And be available only to some classes like fighter or paladin, leaving other classes to have only one layer.

Rage of Mages had this system and it was the only thing i really like about that game, it was very fun to build your character.

• Like 1

hi everyone!

It would be cool that the torso area have 2 layers of armor....like in the real world.

For example chainmail 1st layer, cuirass 2nd layer; this will add more deep customization. And be available only to some classes like fighter or paladin, leaving other classes to have only one layer.

Rage of Mages had this system and it was the only thing i really like about that game, it was very fun to build your character.

I like that idea. Plate armour wearers usually wore some leather underneath it.

I do umpteenth the call for realistic (for the given degree of "realistic") weaponry and armour. Historical gear is a good place to start (since weapons were designed they way they were for a reason), and if you're having (militarily, not necessarily culturally) not-Romans, they should be armed like Romans would be, but this does not mean one needs to keep to strict historical accuracy; as priorly mentioned, this isn't Earth. But so long as it's at least within a reasonable order of magnitude of realistic, I'm okay. And a few scattered unique OTT items wouldn't be bad, either. And while a few glowy magic items would be cool (I likes me my flaming/frosting/lightning-ing swords), I concur that not all magic items should.

(If the coding wouldn't be likely to fiddley and time-consuming to do, what would be really cool is to have weapons like Glamdring and Sting, i.e. basically bane weapons that glow in the presence of their targetted enemy. That would be unfathomably cool, but probably too much of a pain to code in practise.)

I personally would like to see more spears or halberds in the game when it was probably the more common weapons in real life.

This is in large part because battles were fought in formations with dozens/hundreds of men.

The logical thing to do is include them and then have some of the bad guys fight in formations too!

(You can blag - and I do in my D&D 3.5 houserules, that shield walls offer better protection against area spells like fireball or something. It is a bit bovine excrement, really, but it sorta vagule credible, and I really do like the whole Roman Legionary shtick.)

I also agree that, if possible, wizards should have some nice robes and fancy hats. I don't think I've ever played a wizard with a proper Gandalf hat...!

Speaking of headgear, helmets ala the IE games would be nice; some with full-face coverings, and some without (and I don't mind a few horns/wings on the helmets (which BG/BG2 also had) - within reason - because if nothing else, it helps distinguish the characters!

(In other news, when I get around to playing Witcher 2 (which is sitting installed, EE'd and just waiting to be played when moods strikes me), this discussion means I might actually be paying more than cursory attention to the weapon and armor design (which probably would have passed without comment otherwise!) so thanks for mentioning it...)

Edited by Aotrs Commander

I totally agree with the OP. Weapons through history have often been relatively light, only a few exceptions exist to support having large bulky (and overly ornate) weapons. If you are gong to chop people to death for several hours, your weapon cannot be too heavy and ungainly. Now I do understand that this is a fantasy world, but making a fantasy world beleivable within its own premices is still important.

Edited by HansKrSG

Quite agree with the OP too! Realistic weapons are a must, though unique ones (set items, flaming sword, dragon-tail mace, ...) can be a bit more fanciful, if only for variety's sake.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

I would also like to see weapons sheathed when not in combat. Scabbards would be great to have as well.

Yes, yes, yes.

Well, actually I would care a lot more if this was a third person/action RPG. For an isometric/axonometric game it isn't *that* important.

Still, it would be a nice touch to see people extracting their weapons/changing their stance when a combat starts and reversing to a more relaxed pose at the end of it.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto

I would also like to see weapons sheathed when not in combat. Scabbards would be great to have as well.

Yes, yes, yes.

Well, actually I would care a lot more if this was a third person/action RPG. For an isometric/axonometric game it isn't *that* important.

Still, it would be a nice touch to see people extracting their weapons/changing their stance when a combat starts and reversing to a more relaxed pose at the end of it.

Running through peaceful villages with greatsword raised is how the heroes roll.

Yeah, a relaxed stance would be great if that isn't possible. Though that certainly isn't a priority.

Edited by Karranthain

I assume Obsidian is going to go similar direction to the BG titles - basic weapons are basic, weapons with magic glow a little and really magic stuff glows like 1000W lamps. I'm cool with this since it's supposed to be high fantasy. I also trust that weapons will have an overall simplistic look to them.

I like more practical designs for the most part, but the really good items need to be awesome, not just power wise but look really cool as well.

Everything should (ideally) look cool. The problem at this point is what you think is cool.

Is this cool?

1722-1-1322380748.jpg

Personally I find it cheesy as ****.

This, on the other hand...

f154259fab0d60c4d02fcad7d7796e52.jpg

or this...

4b0fa050db42c09674b68ead6d170fef.jpg

...strike me as extremely cool, simple and down to the earth designs.

I'm also not very fond of magic items/buffs that sparkle like a goddamn disco lightball.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto
  • Like 2