Armour and weapon designs - a plea.

I'm all for exotic swords and armor. Japanese, Chinese, and Middle Eastern swords come to mind.

The Japanese swords like the Katana, and such, aren't really what I meant because you do see those far too often as well. Think about things you don't see, are Japanese weapons something you actually rarely saw? I definitely meant ancient cultures like the ancient Sumerian and further back, or the the ancient South Americans. The Ancient middle east is a good one though, and I'm glad you brought that up. They had some outright lovely looking stuff.

Im all for a bit of eastern influence, maybe through a faction to make it believable and interesting.

Honestly, the only thing I want is that the design of the equipment match the tone of the game. I have no problem with massive JRPG weapons and gaudy armor, but there are games where they're appropriate, and games where they aren't. If the tone of the game is going to be over the top and anime-ish, by all means, give us humungous Sephiroth swords. If it's going to be more realistic than that, which I suspect it will be, then a more restrained aesthetic is probably in order.

Agree totally. I grow tired of seeing a lot of bulky, impractical armors and rediculous weapons that if used in real life would only slow you down, make it impossible to move or do anything. Worse even, might kill you if you make a wrong move. So, yes, please keep equipment sensible.

Patience is always rewarded... ©

5l29lx.jpg

To be perfectly honest I would prefer a practical design over crazily outlandish design (although, I suppose this depends on the context).

Really though, far FAR more important to me is that the visual design not be sexualised like 99% of all RPGs ever. By this I mean "armour" with plunging necklines down to the navel or "casual wear" that exposes every nook and cranny. I'm an adult and I'm perfectly at ease with depictions of romance and of sex where appropriate. But in the gaming industry, sex is crammed in in the least appropriate places and Fantasy games tend to be the biggest offenders. Please don't ruin a good story and good writing with a ridiculous aesthetic that is completely at odds with the rest of the game.

I totally agree with OP in every point!

Like many other people over here, I like the weapon design of "the witcher" aswell as the design in "baldur's gate" and hope they will chose something like it.

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

On the sort of topic of rapiers: I really hope the developers don't feel that just because firearms are in the game that all the rest of the visuals have to correspond to the aesthetics and culture of high middle ages/renaissance Europe as if that level of tech is inherently tied to that sort of culture.

• Like 2

On the sort of topic of rapiers: I really hope the developers don't feel that just because firearms are in the game that all the rest of the visuals have to correspond to the aesthetics and culture of high middle ages/renaissance Europe as if that level of tech is inherently tied to that sort of culture.

The culture that has developed firearms could use that aesthetic.

But why should they? I'm rather tired of cultures in fantasy games having X prevailing feature of a real world culture, therefore we're also giving them Y and Z features.

Because it'd would give them a unique and consistent look. Different cultures with varrying aesthetics provide a more interesting gameworld, I feel.

It's a unique culture with a specific look because it looks exactly like a real world culture? At the very least we can have creative mix-and-match from real world history. Why not musket bearing Romans and Renaissance Pacific Islanders?

That's because weapon advances generally influenced the armour design as well. It simply makes sense.

That said, I'm not heavily against that. It can work, case in point :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9VqO-sbphE

I think it's a very interesting aesthetic :)

Edited by Karranthain

That's because weapon advances generally influenced the armour design as well. It simply makes sense.

Quite true, and that should be taken account in world building, I agree. However there is much more the the aesthetics of a culture than the basic weapon and armor designs. I'm saying that just because you have guns does not necessarily mean you also have powdered wigs, clothes with frills, and a dueling culture. If you enjoy renaissance or age of sail aesthetics then it's simply a matter of preference, of course.

Quite true, and that should be taken account in world building, I agree. However there is much more the the aesthetics of a culture than the basic weapon and armor designs. I'm saying that just because you have guns does not necessarily mean you also have powdered wigs, clothes with frills, and a dueling culture. If you enjoy renaissance or age of sail aesthetics then it's simply a matter of preference, of course.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

And please no gigantic weapons. A simple dagger shouldn't be as long as your arm, and a warhammer shouldn't look like it weighs 150 pounds.

As long as there are three-bladed swords.

TSATS82-sword5b.jpg

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.