Unique Kickstarter In-Game Item

I just want to say that even though I'm completely 100% behind the Kickstarter, and I've already pledged, I don't like the fact that you're giving away an exclusive in-game item (regardless of whether it affects balance). I don't like it when developers make parts of their game inaccessible a whole section of the community. I understand that you are trying to incentivize pledging, but I've always felt that sales incentives should neither touch the game itself nor be unobtainable after a certain time. I also understand that you can't exactly go back on what you've said you'd give people, so I would be happy if you at least promised not to offer any other exclusive in-game items for any other promotion.

Again, I love the project and the spirit behind it, I just hope that you can stay as far away from modern gimmicks like that as possible.

• Like 7

Me, summed up in less than 50 words:

PHP | cRPGs | Daft Punk | Dominion | WKUK | Marvel Comics | INTP | Python | Symphonic Metal | Breakfast Tacos | Phenomenology | Cards Against Humanity | Awkward Hugs | Scott Pilgrim | Voluntaryism | Dave Chappelle | Calvin and Hobbes | Coffee | Doctor Who | TI-BASIC | eBooks | Jeans | Fantasy Short Stories | Soccer | Mac 'N Cheese | Stargate | Hegel | White Mountains | SNES | Booty Swing | Avocado |

Meh, as long as they don't go all used car salesman on us, I'm fine with the occasional in-game incentive.

The old games that Project Eternity is meant to immulate did this kind of stuff all the time. BG2's collector's addition added 2 exclusive merchants who both had entire inventories filled with exclusive items.

Edited by Stun

Meh, as long as they don't go all used car salesman on us, I'm fine with the occasional in-game incentive.

The old games that Project Eternity is meant to immulate did this kind of stuff all the time. BG2's collector's addition added 2 exclusive merchants who both had entire inventories filled with exclusive items.

The thing is that Interplay/Bioware allowed those merchants and items to be modded in, so they ultimately were available to everyone. If Obsidian is willing to do that too, I'm more okay with it.

• Like 1

Me, summed up in less than 50 words:

PHP | cRPGs | Daft Punk | Dominion | WKUK | Marvel Comics | INTP | Python | Symphonic Metal | Breakfast Tacos | Phenomenology | Cards Against Humanity | Awkward Hugs | Scott Pilgrim | Voluntaryism | Dave Chappelle | Calvin and Hobbes | Coffee | Doctor Who | TI-BASIC | eBooks | Jeans | Fantasy Short Stories | Soccer | Mac 'N Cheese | Stargate | Hegel | White Mountains | SNES | Booty Swing | Avocado |

I hope it's a tea pot!

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I don't see a problem with one single vanity item, especially since it's a single player game. Depending on what kind of item it is, it might even be something that you only use right at the beginning of the game, before you need the item slot for something more useful, like it was for instance in Guild Wars 1 with the Beta bonus items.

If the item would affect gameplay, like the Masters Mask, an enchanted item in Drakensang, given to those who preordered the game, I would be against it, but if its vanity only...

Crystalmancer of the Obsidian Order

Cosmetic/Vanity items are fine for this in my agenda I guess... Especially in a game designed mainly to be played solo anyway, there won't be any bragging rights or anything, and it's nice to give an incentive for backers.

• Like 2

Mascot of the Obsidian Order of Eternity

Come on and join the Order or no petting for you !

~~ What can change the nature of a Man ? ~~

I like the idea of in-game item rewards. I think it's a kindliness. We'll all be seeing it eventually though, right?

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I don't really care that much, but such items are usually stupid and don't fit into the game and have no explanation as to why they're in your inventory. Things that give you a slight boost for the first half hour of the game annoy both those who get them and those who don't. I vote cosmetic. I also vote silly.

I'm with the OP. I didn't increase my Kickstarter pledge for Wasteland 2 because they were giving out exclusive extra portraits. I hate exclusive in-game stuff - everything that is in the game should be available to everyone who buys it, even if you didn't do anything fancy-schmancy to "deserve" it. I say this as a backer, it does put a ding in the otherwise pristine Kickstarter campaign.

• Like 2

I don't like preorder dlc, that's exactly what it is. It is damaging to the community and fuels piracy.

So you're saying people would pirate this game because they can't get ONE in game item? In this case, I call bull**** and say those people weren't going to buy the game anyways.

I should also quote from the Kickstarter page:

All Kickstarter backers will receive a special Kickstarter only in-game achievement and item. (The item will not affect the game's balance)
  • Like 2

I like loot.....so yeah unique loot that doesn't upset the game balance sounds good to me. Think of it like a preorder bonus, I don't think many people really mind if someone gets a fairly trivial item for shelling out some cash early.

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

i don't see the harm in one cosmetic item. $25 tier is the bread & butter of this project. gotta have an incentive for people.

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

Who cares? It's one item we get for helping fund this project. It's not like we're getting a companion that you would otherwise have to spend $10 for if you didn't pre-order *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*.

Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Origins...

It's EA's new policy, find the most tantalizing companion, cut them out, and sell them for $10. It's one of the many reasons I no longer buy EA products.

On topic: If the item doesn't affect the game in any way, and isn't key to the story, if it's just a trinket, I don't have any issue with it.

• Like 1

I like loot.....so yeah unique loot that doesn't upset the game balance sounds good to me. Think of it like a preorder bonus, I don't think many people really mind if someone gets a fairly trivial item for shelling out some cash early.

If I enjoy the game I get absolutely giddy over in-game swag. Don't ask me why. Some kind of hoarding reflex.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I don't like preorder dlc, that's exactly what it is. It is damaging to the community and fuels piracy.

So you're saying people would pirate this game because they can't get ONE in game item? In this case, I call bull**** and say those people weren't going to buy the game anyways.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. As soon as the game is out, people are going to torrent the "Backer version" they can't otherwise get. Who cares about one item you say? A lot of people do, even if it's only cosmetic. It's simply greed on obsidians side, they may get a little bump in the kickstarter phase, but it will hurt them in the long run.

• Like 1

I have received extras for pre-purchasing games and I see no reason for not doing something similar. I doubt that it will be something that unbalances the game. It could also be something that is unlocked further into the game but backers get it right away without effort. It could be included in an expansion. Depending on our pledge we are all getting something that will not be available to those who buy the game.

Giving people who gamble on the game something extra is good business practice and in my opinion fair.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Yes, that is what I'm saying. As soon as the game is out, people are going to torrent the "Backer version" they can't otherwise get. Who cares about one item you say? A lot of people do, even if it's only cosmetic. It's simply greed on obsidians side, they may get a little bump in the kickstarter phase, but it will hurt them in the long run.

Wow, this really takes the biscuit! Obsidian is the greedy one, but the guy who goes and pirates the entire game for a pair of green shoes or something is a crusader for consumer rights? !!

Obsidian can't do anything to stop people mooching off the game, so I say, yeah, damn straight, look after your paying customers by showering them with non-combat pets, exclusive framed portraits in their houses, anything like that. There is zero harm to the so-called 'community' that can't get their hands on it without torrenting ... most gamers don't really care about that stuff, and the ones who do should be looking to support the game.

• Like 4

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're just upset and lashing out. check yourself before you wreck yourself, mate.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.